It happened once again

jangoux

May 9, 2006
So, I was talking to my boss today and again, one more time, a client that was certain to record with us went to 'the other' studio. This time, it was a female singer whose record will be mixed by a big name brazilian producer (he is crap, tho', other people mix for him and he just signs the thing). As it seems, this producer put 'the other' studio as a requirement for him doing his job. OK, fine, although the studio is vastly inferior to ours in terms of equipment, and the AE in there sucks, I understand he wants to get the job done on a place he trusts. OK, that is his right.

The thing is, it happened SO MANY time in the course of the 2 and a half years I work there. Last semester I had ZERO (z-e-r-o) paid jobs in there due to this. Every client goes, loves our studio, we give a better price quote, and after like 3 days he calls 'Hey, sorry, your pricing is better, your studio is better but I am used to record in there, you know?'. I know a lot of people go there just because they're able to put some of the money government give artists to record on their own pockets, but anyway...It feels our studio is cursed or something, or the other guy voodoos us. WE JUST CANT GET ARTISTS :/ It doesn't matter we have API, Royer, Neummann, Neve, a Recto, a JSX, a custom made Drumset, it feels it is never enough to impress the client to do at least one song.

The worst thing is that my city has 4 'big' studios. The one I work on, this other one, another one which is expensive as fuck but most AEs in there suck (besides one which is great) and the gear is ho-hum, and the last one which sucks, but the guy is amazing when doing arrangements, so he gets his clients this way. So, I can't get a job somewhere else, besides the jobs I get on my home studio :s

This is the last year I'll wait and see. If things dont happen I'll just explore other shit. Driving a cab, doing computer repair, whatever pays the bills.

Why not try and seduce this producer directly, and get him to work at your studio?
Offer him a nice deal on his next session or something?

its-a-trap-admiral-akbar.jpg

My boss already kicked the bucket and told the producer to fuck off heeheh (more seriously, we actually lost some clients due to his behavior, but not in this case).

So, it is possible the guy is talking shit about our studio. I am not the most popular AE on the city due to my 'rock' background. Most music around here is brazilian music and those musicians have a huge prejudice with rock or any heavier music. I already had a reputation when working on my home studio, so when I stepped on their space, my popularity just went downhill. Funny thing is, a lot of people completely change their opinion when working with me and seeing the results. But, it is not unusual hearing people say 'he listen to rock' like i have leprosy, carry anthrax on my pocket, do pedophile stuff and wear like the New Kinds on the Block - all at the same time. It is 'wrong' to like rock / metal around here. It is also a known fact that the studio I work on bothered a lot of the already existing one. Besides me coming from a different background and producing more 'modern' results, we have a stupid amount of gear to our city's reality.

And yes, we're trying to get new clients. But most of time a bunch of Joe Nobodies don't bring new clients. However, we just closed a deal with a company to endorse a bunch of those Joe Nobodies and hopefully this will support us for some time. I really hope so.