Most underrated band I have ever heard of.

Bathoryswans

Oct 3, 2013
The band is called Gentle Giant and I just recently discovered them. They are an early prog rock group like Yes and Genesis but they were very complex even by prog rock standards and were not deemed as being radio friendly. All of their first 7 albums are gold. For their first 6 albums they only continued to make they're music more complex and complicated so its a good idea to start off with the first album and work your way up. Also its funny to listen to the first album and think to myself they made six better albums. Also the 7th album Free hand tuned things down and was a bit more commercial (by Gentle Giant standards at least)but it was still very good better than I expected. So yeah if you haven't listened to the I suggest listening to the first 7 in order if you want to start off with an album that showcases their brilliance try Octopus. That their is a masterpiece that gives Darkside of the moon a run for its money. Once again this is a prog rock band like Yes and Genesis if your not into that chances are you won't like this band. If you do like it then trust me your in for a treat. These guys are musical geniuses.

For those of you who already know the band what do you think of them? Do you agree they are underrated or am I full of shit?

Very good band. Three Friends, and In A Glass House, to me, are their best albums. The vocal harmonies and arrangements are hands down, the most creative. Spocks Beard, Echolyn, and Haken are influenced by Gentle Giant vocally. They are very respected by prog fans, and their contemporaries, at that time in the 70s. Some of the things they do musically, are so complex, yet a lot of times, playful and quirky. After Freehand, their next 2 (In'terview, The Missing Piece)were still decent. But Giant For A Day, and Civilian were the band's attempts at being more mainstream in approach, and sound.....a tad below average. They are in my top 3 70's progressive rock bands. Such an awesome band, indeed!

Very good band. Three Friends, and In A Glass House, to me, are their best albums. The vocal harmonies and arrangements are hands down, the most creative. Spocks Beard, Echolyn, and Haken are influenced by Gentle Giant vocally. They are very respected by prog fans, and their contemporaries, at that time in the 70s. Some of the things they do musically, are so complex, yet a lot of times, playful and quirky. After Freehand, their next 2 (In'terview, The Missing Piece)were still decent. But Giant For A Day, and Civilian were the band's attempts at being more mainstream in approach, and sound.....a tad below average. They are in my top 3 70's progressive rock bands. Such an awesome band, indeed!

Glad to see you agree :D

I was afraid I might get bashed for this topic lol.

Gentle Giant is incredible, probably my favorite progressive rock band. I still only have four of the classic albums, but there's definitely something about them, especially the "quirky" factor, that makes their overall style appeal to me more than the rest. When I first listened to them I just found them kind of awkward and even annoying, but after years it was The Power & the Glory that made them click for me, and now I really enjoy the albums I have.

I'm listening to Octopus right now. Kinda reminds me of Jethro Tull in a way, I like it! Big fan of Tull.