Most underrated albums?

Originally posted by Se7enChurches
I'll go with Bathory's "Twilight of the Gods" because, while noone says it's bad (though some fans dislike it because they prefer the raw Bathory stuff), it probably isn't as well known as it could be among the prog/power scene since Bathory is best known as a death/black metal project.

Ryan

Bathory ("Twillight of the Gods") is not black, and it's definitely not death. Vocals are clean, and it spawned the Viking scene I give you that.

I see the importance of Bathory, but musically I think it's a little overrated to be honest. Sorry. :cool:

I tried to like Bathory, I really did, I promise!! :cry:

Instead I went straight to Falkenbach and Mithotyn. Falkenbach kick ass, and Mithotyn should never have become Falconer...

Originally posted by markgugs

While I can't disagree that Bathory's Viking era stuff is superb ("Twilight Of The Gods," "Blood Fire Death," "Blood On Ice," and "Hammerheart"), I don't know if it's underrated. Many metalheads at least know of, if not outright LOVE those 4 albums...

many, yes, but most of them are probably in the more extreme music scene or at least familiar with it. I'm sure there's many peopel in the prog/power scene that aren't as familiar with that area of metal that would like it and haven't heard it.

Ryan

Originally posted by JayKeeley

Bathory ("Twillight of the Gods") is not black, and it's definitely not death. Vocals are clean, and it spawned the Viking scene I give you that.

I see the importance of Bathory, but musically I think it's a little overrated to be honest. Sorry. :cool:

at no point did I say that that album was black or death. read my post again.

Ryan

No, you said it was "best known" as a black/death project, which is close enough, though it's really the onset of Viking metal, featuring semi-clean/semi-blackish vocals over mid-tempo death/black music. So I'm not sure what you're getting at...

I agree with JayKeeley, Falkenbach take the Bathory influences and up the ante. I prefer Moonsorrow to Mithotyn though.

Twilight... is my favorite Bathory album. I don't know why people prefer Hammerheart

Originally posted by markgugs
No, you said it was "best known" as a black/death project, which is close enough, though it's really the onset of Viking metal, featuring semi-clean/semi-blackish vocals over mid-tempo death/black music. So I'm not sure what you're getting at...

ah. it had been my experience that Bathory was cheifly known for the influence of their first 3 albums on the black metal scene. apparently I was wrong.

Ryan

Originally posted by Dreamlord
I agree with JayKeeley, Falkenbach take the Bathory influences and up the ante. I prefer Moonsorrow to Mithotyn though.

Haven't heard any Moonsorrow yet...aren't they like Finntroll?

And re: Mithotyn - does anyone like Falconer? I mean, I like they're first CD (haven't heard #2), but I just don't hear anything as inventive as Mithotyn in this new direction IMO.

Originally posted by maestro_al

Haven't heard any Moonsorrow yet...aren't they like Finntroll?

No, not at all. Finntroll is polka mixed with black metal. Moonsorrow is straight up viking metal. Moonsorrow sound similar to Thyrfing, Mithotyn and Falkenbach.

Re Helloween: I liked Dark Ride a lot, but somehow it lost its flavor because that album is what made Weiki throw an ego-induced tantrum and kick Roland and Uli out. I can't say how much Better Than Raw did for me. That album goes up to 11! Um, can we start the pumpkin rolling or something so that they are forced to tour here once the new album comes out?? Promo!!

Re Underrated album: (bending the rules a bit) Prog: Power of Omens. San Antonio, Texas. Disappointed by where Q'ryche has gone? This band will not disappoint! ;) I love Kamelot though!

Power: Nocturnal Rites: Afterlife. I will never stop saying that. :D :devil:

BTW: Voivod's Outer Limits is an 11, too! But this is how Rhapsody and Steel Prophet make me feel (I'll try not to bash them too much!):ill:

I am not into the underground prog scene too much (not because I don't want to be - it is virtually nonexistant in Tucson!) so I picked bands that are underrated by metal media.

Originally posted by KameloX

Power: Nocturnal Rites: Afterlife. I will never stop saying that. :D :devil:

Hey KameloX - I've heard Afterlife is probably the worst NR effort - I'll admit I haven't heard it yet, but how would you compare Afterlife to Sacred Talisman and their new incredible CD, Shadowland?

(I can't get Shadowland out of the damn CD player, and I have 30 other new CD's that haven't even been unwrapped yet par Ensiferum, Nile, and Summoning :D )

JK.

Hombro, they wouldn't have been able to make Shadowland without doing Afterlife first. Afterlife's songwriting is a lot better than it was w/ Anders Zachrisson. Give me yet another agonizing week and I'll tell you what I think about Shadowland. I'm beyond broke, dude. I heard one of Summoning's new ones. Wow. It almost beats Therion. And it is somehow even more original! Even though it is totally about Tolkien, who can complain?