Most underrated albums?

EDVANTASIA

Mar 24, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Now that the excitement of waiting for tickets to go on sale; is over. Lets get a new discussion going. I think this will be a good way to find out about a new band or a really good album, you might have missed. Here is the topic: NAME YOUR FAVORITE UNDERRATED *POWER METAL CD* and *PROG METAL CD*

I'll start most underrated Prog CD

Time Machine "Galileo II" I hear everyone talking about how good Time Machines' "Evil" CD is, but I never hear anyone talk about this CD. First off, It has a different singer. This CD is a concept album, and I just think the CD oozes atmosphere. This CD gets the story across, with out putting a damper on the songs. Unlike some bands who try to make a story out of all their songs, yet they leave you confused, and have no idea, what their singing about. I would recommend this to Power/Prog metal fans alike.

Most underrated Power Metal CD

Eterna "Papyrus"

Ok, I'll be honest, I bought this used from SentinelSteel.com for 2 bucks. But the minute I put it in the CD player, I was blown away. This a neo-classical/power metal band from South America. All Lyrics in English, And the lyrics aren't about dragons and knights. The thing that separates this band from the rest of the pack, is the have 2 lead singers. One higher pitched (not annoyingly high) and a lower pitched singer. The thing that really caught my attention is; I haven't heard a band since Edguy, that has chorus' that are this catchy and get stuck in your head fro days at a time.
I know I only paid 2 bucks. I would definetly pay full price, and I am going to purchase their new CD, when ever I have some spare cash. Anyways check these CD's out. Any comments welcome. *

BTW* most underrated Power Metal band *SKYLARK*

Prog CD: Eternity X-The Edge

Far and away one of the greatest albums of all time. One of the few albums I can listen to day in and day out, and not get tired of it. I still get chills when I listen to every song on there.

Power CD: Labyrinth-Return to Heaven Denied

Another one of my favorites. Every song is awesome, including the bonus track. When the "great" power metal bands come up, these guys are hardly ever mentioned. BTW, it is time these guys make some more music. I can't wait for their new release.

Hmmm, Prog CD, I have no idea, so I'll go with:

Helloween - The Dark Ride
I realize it's not TRULY prog metal, but there are some extremely progressive stylings on this album, very reminiscent of Queensryche's heyday. Incidentally, Helloween is my vote to headline next year's ProgPower! :D

For Power CD, I'll say with conviction:

Montany - New Born Day
No one has even ever heard of this band, let alone given this album its due. It's one of the strongest 'unknown' releases of the past 3-4 years and crosses many melodic, speedy styles. Awesome!

Originally posted by EDVANTASIA

BTW* most underrated Power Metal band *SKYLARK*

Skylark? oooh...bad, very bad....Divine Gates Part II is just awful IMO. It's just pre-scripted power cheese metal. If you want something in that vein, stick with Rhapsody. You also stated in another thread that "Space Metal" was the 'album of the year', so I think I'll download your recommendations first, heh...

Anyway, here's my two cents:

Prog Metal: The Tiles - Presents of Mind. This CD just proves that not all prog metal has to be repetitive aimless crap where monotonous tunes are played at random tangents just to fill air time. I mean, you can go from Black Sabbath to The Tiles in one sitting. That is one awesome accomplishment.

Power Metal: Elvenking - Heathenreel or Lost Horizon - Awakening the Mind. We constantly talk about the 'big five': Edguy, BG, Rhapsody, Gamma Ray, and Angra - but Elvenking and LH maintain the same level of integrity IMO. Their catalog is not as large, however, but time will tell...

:)

Originally posted by JayKeeley

Skylark? oooh...bad, very bad....Divine Gates Part II is just awful IMO. It's just pre-scripted power cheese metal. If you want something in that vein, stick with Rhapsody. You also stated in another thread that "Space Metal" was the 'album of the year', so I think I'll download your recommendations first, heh...

:)

IMO, that's Skylark's best album..There's not a bad song on the disk

What about Dark Moor's "Gates of Oblivion" or Adagio's "Sanctus Ignis"? They are both great albums IMO and you rarely read anything about those bands.

Hey, Eterna is cool! I've met the band members a couple of times (I am from brazil) and they are really nice.
Papyrus is their best, IMO. The new one, The Gate, is good too! But not as good!
Their first album (papyrus is the second) I've never heard!

Check out Sigma5! They are by far the best underground Brazilian band! www.sigma5.com I love it! It's prog metal sung in portuguese! Awesome stuff... :)

Helloween - The Dark Ride
I realize it's not TRULY prog metal, but there are some extremely progressive stylings on this album, very reminiscent of Queensryche's heyday. Incidentally, Helloween is my vote to headline next year's ProgPower!

AMEN!! My personal all-time favorite. Rediculously underrated and unknown in the USA. Prog? Maybe not. Power, without a doubt. Usually, it seems the heavier the band, the dumber the lyrics and imagery get. (See most black and death metal bands). With Helloween, you don't have to sit through any devil/dragon/knights/castles/blood references. They manage to find balance between extreme melody/killer leads and riffs that Megadeth would have killed for. If you're like the many who haven't heard anything from this band since the late 80's, please check them out! You won't be disappointed.

Originally posted by markgugs
Montany - New Born Day
No one has even ever heard of this band, let alone given this album its due. It's one of the strongest 'unknown' releases of the past 3-4 years and crosses many melodic, speedy styles. Awesome!

I really want to buy that album, I heard one track a while ago 'Back From The Sky', and wow, I was blown away.

As anyone heard of Falconer?? I think they are fantastic power metal. Great singer too!

Originally posted by Demonspell
Some of my underrated prog metal gems:

Lemur Voice - Divided
Conception - In Your Multitude
Leviathan - Scoring The Chapters
Sieges Even - anything, esp. A Sense Of Change

Great choices!

MadSword - "The Global Village"
Stonehenge - "Angelo Salutante"

I'll go with Bathory's "Twilight of the Gods" because, while noone says it's bad (though some fans dislike it because they prefer the raw Bathory stuff), it probably isn't as well known as it could be among the prog/power scene since Bathory is best known as a death/black metal project.

Ryan

Originally posted by Se7enChurches
I'll go with Bathory's "Twilight of the Gods" because, while noone says it's bad (though some fans dislike it because they prefer the raw Bathory stuff), it probably isn't as well known as it could be among the prog/power scene since Bathory is best known as a death/black metal project.

Ryan

While I can't disagree that Bathory's Viking era stuff is superb ("Twilight Of The Gods," "Blood Fire Death," "Blood On Ice," and "Hammerheart"), I don't know if it's underrated. Many metalheads at least know of, if not outright LOVE those 4 albums...