EVERGREY ACOUSTIC ALBUM

Lyre's Harmony

Lunatic Soul
Sep 14, 2009
I dont even know where to begin. Evergrey has always been a band that has always had some of the most heavy dark prog out their, but for me (and for a lot more other people than i thought, ive discovered recently) think that their acoustic tracks are unbelivable. they have long been a band to not only make gorgeous acoustic ballads, but also remake some of thier heavier tracks into acoustic godliness. when evergrey had acoustic bonus tracks on both Rec day and TIC, the community was craving an entire acoustic album. So much in fact that the question got brought up in the interview "in bed with Evergrey" which is on their DVD "a night to remember" about 47 mins into the interview i belive.
here is the excerpt:

"*****the question : a major attraction for the band for a lot of your fans is mix of acoustic and heavy.especially some people really dig the acoustic numbers you did. you had the trilogy of the damned, you got two or three acoustic numbers on the inner circle and the bonus version of the inner circle comes with the acoustic gigs you did in France. have you ever thought about maybe, with a lot of your songs quite lending themselves if you like (ya reporter's British) to an acoustic reinterpretation. have you ever thought about doing it the same way threshold did, maybe doing an entire acoustic album at some stage?

Henrick: makes joke about threshold

Tom: we actually thought about that but then we saw that threshold did the same thing and at that time we were really up in that idea. I wouldn't say threshold sort of influenced us to...

Henrick: they stole our idea!

Tom: pretty much, fucking English bastards.

*everyone laughs*

Tom: but at the same time, I actually have not heard that album. I’ve never been a threshold fan either, so I don’t know how good they did it. but at the same time we were at this DVD recording thing, it was sort of pushing our minds to the fullest, so we pushed that aside for a bit. we don’t know, we might do it, but I think everyone is set to do another studio album (MMA).*****"

So Monday morning apocalypse came out, kind of divided fans, yadda yadda I was still waiting with hope for that acoustic album! and yet another acoustic "bonus track" Closure which was, for me, easily the best track on the album. but more time went on, they annouced Torn, then it came out, and it was good but no real acoustic songs and so i basically gave up.

More recently i was on the Torn reveiw thread and stated that the vocals were completly inferior to previous records to to the increased vocal layering and lack of signature evergrey Englund unleashing. ( using his vocal power to tingle your spine.) but someone (sacrament death) agreed that they had seen an acoutic performance by them on youtube and that it was amazing. and later yet another member stated that an acoustic album would be incredible. old feeling stiring up inside, i headed over to youtube and found what many of you probably already knew about. ACOUSTIC REMAKES OF TORN AND SOAKED. i was blown away, and even more so after i'd heard them! i easily like these remakes better than the entire Torn album, mostly because my favorite vocalist of all time issues the PWN!!!11!! so here it is. im starting a thread for people who, like me, want this album more than anything else in the world! ( or even just a bit ;) )

They pretty much have enough material now to just make a collection of one they've already done! but thats not good enough. anyway

@ the old-school evergrey fans (like me) : THERE IS STILL HOPE FOR THIS ALBUM. SEE ATTACHED. and if you didn't like Torn, then maybe this will put the album in a different light for you, it sure did for me.

@ newbie evergrey fans: i know you probably want another studio release, but trust me when i say, this acoustic album would shake the foundation of the world.

my next post will include all of the already existent acoustic tracks in the evergrey discography

watch these and enjoy.:worship:notworthy:cry::worship:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gufMUsNiN6I&NR=1[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Count me in! I always loved all the ballads they did over the years and I would love to see a complete acoustic release as well! Nevertheless, I do like Torn because it has strong songs and good lyrics, it's just the production that's a bit over the top to me. But coming back to the topic: yes, please give us an acoustic album!
Thanks for posting the videos!

Thanks for posting these videos. I have to say they are damn good versions. This again shows Torn has very good songs.
These accoustic versions have a very special feeling, a lot more relaxed, laid back atmosphere, but still have a lot of emotions and feeling in them. I think I would love to have an accoustic album with such versions of EG songs. Maybe spiced up with a string quartett and of course with Carina on backing vocals.

Maybe spiced up with a string quartett and of course with Carina on backing vocals.

*facepalms* no! your interpretation of evergrey acoustic is way different than mine i guess. in these songs, less is more. my favorite part of either video is the beggining of soaked where its just piano and englund, this helps capture the emotion that evergrey (use to) has/have. the point is, they are not supposed to be...spiced up. NO CARINA unless they acousti-fy For Every Tear that Falls, or maybe Damnation.

another thing, i did not post the vids to promote Torn, so much as to show "torn only" newbies that they have prowess in remaking songs into acoustic masterpieces, and to show older fans who may have been disapointed in torn, for whatever reason (but mostly because its devoid of acoustic), that evergrey still has the power of doing beautiful acoustic songs, so NO MORE "this is just another reason that shows torn is freaking sweat!11 " PLEASE

here is that list as promised (cronologically) :

As light is our darkness (the dark discovery)

Words mean nothing (it has drums but its close enough. solitude, dominance, tragedy)

state of paralysis (In search of Truth)

madness caught another victim, Trilogy of the Damned* (recreation day bonus track)

*this is the undisputed flagship of the evergrey acoustic list, it a pure acoustic remake of As light is our darkness, Words mean nothing, and the Shocking truth, and, imo, the best vocal performace of any vocalist anywhere. it is just, a piano, Englund, and an emotional guitar solo from henrick.

Waking up blind...kinda, Recreation day*, Im sorry*, Madness caugt another victim* ( inner circle, the rec. day songs are GODLY remake of the rec. day classics, escpecially the title track, madness orig. is nothing on this remake either, it was meant to have piano in it)

Closure (Monday Morning Apocalypse)

Original songs remade into acoustic (on cd and off)
as light is our darkness
words mean nothing
the shocking truth
im sorry
recreation day
madness caught another victim
torn
soaked
(edit! woooooo!!!!) as i lie here bleeding
Now here's the question! Tell Evergrey and I, what song do YOU want to see remade to acoustic for this release? this should be interesting!:)

OMFG!!!! this was released two days ago! its pretty bad quality, especially the percussion, and i dont know about the "jazzy" keyboards in the middle, and the clapping is REALLY annoying, but as i lie here bleeding! ACOUSTIC!!!!

Rick Zander and i have the same shirt on right now! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
The acoustic version of As I lie here bleeding was live in athens Just Before their show with chaoswave and it was held for the needs of a show for the greek mtv the headbangers ball!!!! I was there(you can actualy see me i'm the first guy next to the guitarist) and it was amazing. Short set with 5 songs.. but still amazing Acoustic session!!

Such a cheerful beat for song full of so much despair!
wow :OMG:
Dont know what to say. This is my personale favorite song, but not as acoustic, not like this one. All the emotion from the lyrics is gone, the beat is alful and makes you think only about it. At all i dont like ths version.

I totally agree with what most of you are saying, ive always loved this song, but, for once in my life, thier acoustic version here doesn't SEEM to do justice to the original masterpiece. BUT, i also belive that many factors put against the fact that, it could and is partially awsome. If you watch the Torn remakes, with the good quality, you can hear beads and box that jonas is playing is toned down quite a bit and it sounds fantastic. in this case, the bad quality vid make it sound like a snare drum and sounds horrible and ruins the atmosphere that comes with listening to this song. also, it has to do with having an audience when they are a very interactive live band, why Englund ask for clapping is a mystery. it was more of a fun atmosphere rather than a dark, depressing display of beauty. but there was also flaws in the song writing, the solos were very up beat and uplifting, and that is was killed the potential i saw in the song.

It is undoubtably a glourious song that could be fantastic acoustic, and, imo, is the perfect potential for a Trilogy of the damned part 2. the lyrics are very good for a trilogy of the damned because of the focus on personal struggle, which is a signature for the original, it should cut into the next song at the solo and should be played in an extremely dark way, without guitars at all IMO. Once it is recorded in a studio Im sure it will be the masterpiece you were expecting when you clicked "play".

@ mr mustard want to share what else they played?

no one has put a potential song to be remade into acoustic?
one I believe would make a phenominal remake is Mark of the Triangle. what about YOU?

Gosh i try to listen it 2 more times, but i just cant get the idea of the jazzy part o.o . I cant belive that i will say it but there is a bad Evergreys acoustic cover. All day i was listening the original and i came with the idea, that it will sound 1000 times better if it was a balad, not chearful himn like this one.

OMFG!!!! this was released two days ago! its pretty bad quality, especially the percussion, and i dont know about the "jazzy" keyboards in the middle, and the clapping is REALLY annoying, but as i lie here bleeding! ACOUSTIC!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D59Eb3u0iPs

Rick Zander and i have the same shirt on right now! :lol:

Absolutely great!
An acoustic night to remember! ;)

I think that songs such as Trilogy of the Damned and Madness Caught Another Victim prove that Evergrey could absolutely come out with an acoustic masterpiece as well. We would give it a WARM welcome!:worship:

The perfect acustic setlist for me would be:

Mark Of The Triangle
Still In The Water
Recreation Day
Fail
Rulers of the Mind
Madness Caught Another Victim
I'm Sorry
For Every Tear That Falls
I Should
Soak

That would be enought...T. Englund have a awesome voice to sing in the acustic way, very poweful.

It would be great that they record a album acustic...but I'm sorry, I still like better the heavy guitar sounds that makes the music more full (I dont known if I can be more clear about what i'm talking about, lol).

I guess I like headbanging to much...lol

The acoustic set had the following 5 in order

1)Torn
2)Soaked
3)As I Lie Here Bleeding
4)I'm Sorry
5) Waking Up Blind

I agree mostly with what you are saying about as i lie here bleeding but still it is a different view in the song!=]

Next i would like to hear In Remberance, Still in the water and These scars in an acoustic setlist...
Agreed that the mark of the triangle would be a great concept!

Thanks MR must for the list. Im personally thinking of what song should make up a "Trilogy of the damned pt 2." the criteria is that it must be three songs all with lyrics of personal struggle, as i lie here bleeding is definily an ideal chioce, obidience off mma, mark of the triangle there are many more, but it will be hard to make one that lives up to the first.
I song i think will make a really good acoustic remake would be When Kingdoms Fall, w/ even more Piano replacing all the guitar riffs.

Most of the songs from In Search of Truth are based on piano, so they would be amazing in acoustic version as well.
Yesterday I saw Evergrey live in Milano and they played an acoustic version of Words Mean Nothing, piano & vocals only and different from the Trilogy version. Amazing song!

Most of the songs from In Search of Truth are based on piano, so they would be amazing in acoustic version as well.
Yesterday I saw Evergrey live in Milano and they played an acoustic version of Words Mean Nothing, piano & vocals only and different from the Trilogy version. Amazing song!
I didn't belive u till now
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HkAUL1DuW4&feature=related[/ame]