Evergrey- "Glorious Collision" (a 2,896 word review)

We now have the LIMITED Glorious Collision Pre Order page open for all Facebook fans! Remember, this special package is limited to 500 orders, so get your orders in early! Full details on what is included is available here: www.evergrey.net/preorder
Pretty neat package including the shirt, but 55 EUR ($73+) is a bit steep. I'll have to be content with the import with bonus tracks. Loving the samples. Can't wait to get my hands on this.

So, I ask the old-school whiners to please shut the fuck up now & stop reading. Get on with your life and enjoy other bands.
If only. The whining should probably commence shortly.

Would LOVE that deluxe pre-order deal, but it's just too much. I mean, I don't think it's outrageously priced for what it is, you get a lot of awesome shit. I just really can't fork over that kind of cash for anything like that right now. I'll just settle for the normal disc. Been listening to it for days, loving it more with each listen actually.

I nominate Glenn for best metal reviewer ever. This was already an obvious buy for me, but I think I might splurge on the JP import now.

Hey Glenn, where did you find the Japanese edition with Rei-Zan on it? I've been trying like hell to find it online. What Japanese label is pressing this release ... is it AVALON, TOY FACTOR, VICTOR .... ?

Rei-Zan (Japanese bonus track)

So I asked Tom, “Who is playing on "Rei-Zan?” His response, “I can’t do that shit.” The bonus track is an instrumental that is a bit of a departure for the band. While the keys and rhythm department do their job, this is a total, tasteful shredfest. Markus basically steps up to the plate, raises his middle finger to the world, and announces his presence with authority.

Now that I own the CD and have listened to it several times, it's grown on me. My fav song on the disc is Frozen. Has that nice prog feel yet is still very melodic and the lyrics hit home.

Overall a great disc and looking forward to hearing Evergrey playing tracks off of it during the kick-off on Thursday night of the fest.

Hey Glenn, where did you find the Japanese edition with Rei-Zan on it? I've been trying like hell to find it online. What Japanese label is pressing this release ... is it AVALON, TOY FACTOR, VICTOR .... ?

Dude, I don't think Glenn had to "find it" at any of these stores... Keep in mind he posted the review way before the album came out, or was even leaked.

It's definitely an improvement over the last two. Not quite on par with the earlier discs, but it's a huge step in a direction I like and it's growing on me.

Well Glenn, I'm slow to getting around to listening to this for the first time. With that said, I followed along reading your review during the initial listen, which was really enjoyable. I felt like I was reading liner notes from the band or something! :worship:

Personally, I think this newest effort is great! I'm very please with what is going on here. Like you, I'm so glad they decided to bring the keys back in! They give it that "twinge" of gothic I like to hear in an Evergrey album...cool stuff indeed!

By the way, Frozen rules!!!

~Brian~

I was listening to Evergrey today and I decided to give this album another listen. It is still not working for me and I am not sure why. I will try to be respectful with my criticism since I know the band is a friend to the festival.

I would not say the last two Evergrey cds are bad by any stretch and on paper there really is not much difference between them and their previous work. I am not sure what has changed, but it just seems that something is different post MMA. It is hard for me to describe, the best thing i can come up with is that the songs are not as catchy. When I try to revisit GC and Torn the same thing happens. During the first song or two, I think "damn this is good, why don't I listen to it more". But then by about song 4-5 my mind really starts to wander and the music just does not hold my attention.

Again, I really want to like it since I am a fan of the band and their earlier works. I think the most frustrating part as I said before is that I have a hard time articulating or putting my finger on what is different/ not clicking for me anymore. Generally when I am lukewarm on an album I can say "it is because x or y". Does anyone else feel the same way or better yet, have suggestions about how to approach these cds?

put the CD in a playlist of other music and listen to it on random. You'll have a better chance to evaluate the songs on their own. Then after a while go back and listen to the album again and see what happens.