Evergrey - In Search of Truth

Not sure if I'm right, but I always assumed Nordstrom did this for Nightrage's 'Sweet Vengeance' record. Very aggressive melodeath tone there.

Its very possible. Evergrey (or Tom, rather) picked up the Savage after they became working more with Hammerfall, which they could have only gotten it working with Fredrik for their first two albums.

Hasn't their M.O. Been a 5150 through the power section of another amp for a while? The last one I think it was an Engl, if I remember correctly.

In any case, I'd kill for the rhythm AND lead sound from 'A Touch Of Blessing', both are so monstrous. :D

Its very possible. Evergrey (or Tom, rather) picked up the Savage after they became working more with Hammerfall, which they could have only gotten it working with Fredrik for their first two albums.

I'm pretty sure he got that 5150+Savage trick from Fredrik Nördstrom.
Fredrik uses that combination on a load of Dream Evil albums.

What was the relation of Evergrey with Hammerfall?

I know Hammerfall uses Savages since Legacy Of Kings

I'm pretty sure he got that 5150+Savage trick from Fredrik Nördstrom.
Fredrik uses that combination on a load of Dream Evil albums.

What was the relation of Evergrey with Hammerfall?

I know Hammerfall uses Savages since Legacy Of Kings

Hammerfall did their first two albums with Nordstrom. Hammerfall later used Tom's co-owned studio for tour rehearsals.

Hammersmith, I mean Hammerfall and Evergrey jointly owned a studio/rehearsal space, iirc. It's on the A Night to Remember DVD, but it's been a while since I watched it.

eh, Division One was owned by Tom Englund and Kyle Stout with Arnold Lindberg as the Sound Technician (and I do believe he owned part of it as well, but I am not sure), not Evergrey and Hammerfall.

That, or I'm hearing some overtones that are (to me) louder than the fundamental. It's not apparent on anywhere else.
:err:

It's probably because they chug on inverted power chords alot (with the fifth in the bass) which makes it sound like it's tuned lower, like in Mark of the Triangle; I thought they where using 7 strings when I first heard it, but it's just an inverted power chord on a 6 string. It sounds a bit weird since your ears are expecting the root note to be the lowest, but it's not, the fifth is.

Love this record, sick tone! :devil:

Still sounds like they used the Triaxis, at least for leads, to me. It has that smooth singing sustain which is trademark Mark series tone :Smokedev:

I am going to chime in to mention how they dial in their tones, which I managed to get and have been messing with my 5150 to emulate their tone. The biggest thing is that they keep their gain low, which brings the 5150s more percussive sound. Among keeping their Bass high and mids slightly higher than usual, the resonance is kept pretty low, which gives that weird boxy type of sound. They also use EH pretubes since day one and WXT+, the amps are boosted with TS9 reissue.

From what I could gather their older tone setting where as follows (note this is what Henrik was using):

Pre 5
Bass 8
Mids 4-5
Highs 4
Post 4
Res 4-5
Pres 6-7

I can imagine in terms of post processing that they killed a lot of the bass, most likely a high pass 100Hz+ which will give even more of a boxy sound and probably boosting the upper lows (~250) and scooping some of the lower mids (~500-1K).

A lot of their tone too and the biggest reason their guitars sound out of tune is the fact that one their palm mutes they choke up pretty high as in over the bridge pickup.

I love this album, but to me I prefer the tone on Recreation Day, especially on the bridge section after the solo in Blinded, that sounds so damn tight to me.

Edit: I'm sure I saw an interview online with Tom where he said this album was a Triaxis into a Peavey Classic 50/50 poweramp, but I can't remember if he said what cabs he used.

Edit2: I think it's this interview, but I can't tell as my stupid filter at work is blocking it.

http://www.metal-rules.com/interviews/Evergrey.htm