Evergrey: Recreation Day limited edition

thespectralsorrows

Metal Lord
Jun 19, 2002
Laurel, MD USA
groups.yahoo.com
Evergrey's latest CD is titled Recreation Day which is quite appropriate. The band now consists of founder Tom Englund (guitar/vocals), Henrik Danhage (guitars), Patrick Carlsson (drums/percussion), Michael Hakansson (bass) and Rikard Zander (keyboards). Tom and Henrik at Los Angered Studio in Gothenburg Sweden handled production. Being that Andy La Rocque (King Diamond) owns the studio, it's understandable that he did the engineering and editing with Risza. Mine is the limited edition CD with a 12th song as bonus track bringing the total running time to 60 minutes.

The album opens with 2 excellent songs filled with dueling lead guitars, powerful clean vocals (real singing!) and many time change and keyboard bits. The CD continues with more memorable vocals and riffs on the song As I Lie Here Bleeding. Recreation Day follows with a slower more epic pace and acoustic interludes. Track 6 is a cover song called I'm Sorry by Dilba Demirbag, which is a ballad of
sorts but good. Riffs and keys are what drive Tom's wonderful vocals on Blinded, though follow up Fragments is superior. Unforgivable is the final track and quite powerful in all aspects. Trilogy of the Damned is the 9 minute bonus track that's mostly piano and vocals
with a bit of guitar.

This is an excellent CD and I encourage both old and now new Evergrey fans to check out this wonderful CD. The production is clear and perfect. The songs are well written and layered, but not aggressive or overly heavy. The musicians do their part and the vocals are really good. The interior packaging is beautiful and well presented with band photos and artwork. I'm sure this CD will standout from your collection because Evergrey are their own genre. You may be able to purchase it at www.theendrecords.com or your favorite record provider. Look for Evergrey on the Arch Enemy/Hate Eternal tour at
the end of August 2003.
www.evergrey.net[/font]

I was going to buy it the last time but I had a choice of Kataklysm's Shadows and Dust and Recreation Day, I didn't have enough money for both. I've got In Search of Truth and thought it was an awesome album, some of the most tasteful guitar playing and songwriting in prog rock. I'll be sure to pick this album out when I have the money.