Evergrey's Glorious Collison (with my wallet)

Locust0311

Shopping Ape
Dec 29, 2001
Alpharetta, GA
Ok, so I picked up the new Evergrey today (and its awesome so far) but the thing I noticed the most was the sticker price at FYE: $18.99!?!?!?!? :puke: This was for the special edition, and they had no copies of the regular edition left so I couldn't compare how much extra I was paying for a bonus track, cheaper packaging and a "comic book" I'll look at once. Now I don't blame the band one iota in this. Its just another example of how folks are being driven away from buying CDs by the labels/distributors/stores (whichever one/all are to blame here). I *want* to support the bands I love and buy their CDs, but $18.99 is ridiculous. In fact I had a total of 4 CDs in my hand (they had several on sale for $9.99) but put two back because the Evergrey was so expensive.

And yes, I know I could have ordered it cheaper online or I could have just gotten it off eMusic for 1/3 of the price. But since Evergrey is one of my favorite bands I want to buy the physical CD on release day and I wanted to buy it from my local CD seller and unfortunately FYE is really the only brick and mortar around me that stocks much metal any more.

If shops are going to complain about how no one buys CDs anymore I can point to crap like $18.99 price tags as a big reason why someone like me is more and more being driven to the online only model.

Oh well. /rant

Price whining aside... its a fantastic album. Initial gut reaction puts it up with my favorites (SDT and DD), we'll see if it holds up on repeated listens.

I bought from Laser's Edge $15 I think. Definitely one of my least favorite by Evergrey. It has some serious cross over potential to the mainstream rock/metal scene (in my opinion). I could see "To Fit the Mold" having success with the radio rock bands like Linkin Park, Disturbed, etc. Not a bad album by any means but not exactly my style.

"Tree" and "...and the Distance" were my favorite tunes.

Best Buy has it for $15, not sure if thats online only though. I usually just order cds online because we don't have many places that sell cds let alone a decent (carrying any nightwish or dream theater (basic/gateway metal bands) metal collection.

I hate going to stores for anything. I buy every possible thing I can online.

I actually finally got some uninterrupted time to listen to this album today for the first time, and I like it. It's not knocking one over the back fence or anything, but it's a solid album, and I can tell it's one of those that will probably grow on me. A lot of recent releases have been like that for me. I've only recently gotten into Orden Ogans Eastern Hope CD. I could swear I played it right after it came out, and I didn't like it. Now I'm into it.

Having worked previously at fye, that's the norm dude and why I personally have never bought anything there since I've left. FYE is a trap. They're the only cd stores in malls and pretty much anywhere else and that's why they charge so much because sad to say, people do pay it bc they don't feel like doing online or with more popular stuff, don't feel like driving a bit further to a best buy. As you mentioned, it's cheaper than Amazon and I would go that route next time or someplace like laser's edge.

I have bought ONE cd at FYE, and that was Sy-X Paradise Lost with the bonus DVD. On release day, it was priced reasonably. Since Impulse moved away, I by 99% of my stuff online, except for the more mainstream stuff....

Have you ever heard of Pre Ordering? It usually arrives the same day it comes out. Sometimes even a day before.

If these are well known facts, and you still preferred to buy it at FYE for that absurdity of a price, the only collision I see is the palm of my hands with my forehead and face... :lol:

FYE is the worst possible place you can buy a CD. Next time, the moment a pre-order is announced, do it. Guarantee you'll have it at the same time most people who buy it on release date.

I'll reiterate: for my favorite bands I like to buy the CD in a store near me on release day. Pre-ordering online is not that. Buying mp3s is not that. I guess I'm weird that way. I agree that FYE generally sucks (though they did have the recent Forbidden, Soilwork and Epica albums all for $9.99) but it was my only choice as my Best Buys did not show online as having it in stock. That said, if this pricing trend continues I'll have to rethink how I do things.

Also remember (unless things have changed since I was doing ordering) there's not a lot of profit in CDs unless you're able to order a bazillion copies and sell them. Places like Best Buy and Circuit City (RIP) were able to sell CDS real cheap because they had other merchandise (TVs, appliances) where they made their real money. Having the movies and albums were a bonus at that point.

For a true brick and mortar record store to exist, think of how many albums you would have to sell to cover your expenses and payroll. It was much easier pre-internet. LOL

Okay, fair enough. However...

If that's how you like to do things (which I don't find it to be weird, I totally understand), and FYE is the only store around you... knowing FYE is famous to pull these things with the prices, what's the point of your rant? You know what you're choosing to do and choosing to get into... I don't want to sound like a dick, but doesn't that make it your own fault for agreeing to pay that amount for the album?

Did I miss the point of your rant, or was your rant really pointless?

The point, besides just general venting/griping, was to lament that a lot of the same recording industry folks who complain about people not buying CDs anymore are (at least in part) responsible for trying to sell those CDs for ridiculous prices thus further digging their own graves.

That and I want to say how good the new Evergrey album is :)

On another note.....did anyone else notice that the tracklisting on the back of the CD and booklet is wrong?

Track 9 is actually "The Disease..."
Track 10 is actually "It Comes From Within"
Track 11 is actually "Free"

I can't believe someone from the record company didn't catch that. The packaging is really nice otherwise.

On another note.....did anyone else notice that the tracklisting on the back of the CD and booklet is wrong?

Track 9 is actually "The Disease..."
Track 10 is actually "It Comes From Within"
Track 11 is actually "Free"

I can't believe someone from the record company didn't catch that. The packaging is really nice otherwise.

:lol: Reminds me of my Dream Theater - "Systematic Chaos" LP with side C on both sides.