Evertune Before/After clips (multi-track download)

JeffTD

Senhor Testiculo
Sep 29, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
www.jeffdunne.com
Early last year I bought Greg Tomao's Stinnett #013:

Stinnett_TOM.jpg

It's an incredible guitar, but I hate tuning, so I had Fren Asken install an Evertune G-model bridge in it (big thanks to @BearOnGuitar at Evertune!):

Stinnett_ET1.jpg

I took DIs before I had the bridge installed, and have compiled a set of before/after clips and a download of the DIs/multi-tracks associated with the sessions.

Song1: TOM, Evertune

Song2: TOM, Evertune

Download the DIs and backing here

Side note: this was the same pickup/signal chain used on the Rose of Sharyn DIs, so it might be fun to compare with those and see how much worse I've gotten at guitar over the last 5 years. I'm also including raw bounces of the drums and a bass DI instead of a pre-mixed backing like I did before.

From the README file:

Evertune before/after demo by Jeff Dunne <hello-at-jeffdunne-dot-com>

Guitar:
Stinnett #013, EMG 89/81TW set
TOM/string-thru in "gtr" clips
Evertune in "ET" clips
KPA -> RME UCX

.88mm Tortex TIII for most parts; the Evertune version of Song 1 used a .60mm TIII on the intro/outro strummy parts, and you can hear that the pick change accounts for more of difference than the Evertune installation itself.

Bass:
Schecter P-Custom
Song 1 - EMG P
Song 2 - EMG P+Hum

Drums:
Progressive Foundry (MIDI + s20 preset included)

Last edited:
Why did you decide to do this comparison, what kind of difference were you expecting? And what kind of difference did you notice eventually?

After a quick listen I can't say I noticed anything, other than being jealous about not having an evertune bridge myself :p

Why did you decide to do this comparison, what kind of difference were you expecting? And what kind of difference did you notice eventually?

After a quick listen I can't say I noticed anything, other than being jealous about not having an evertune bridge myself :p

I thought the same. My first thought was, what??? Why would evertune change the tone? After all its just a bridge.

I haven't listened to the clip yet, but as an owner of an Evertune equipped guitar myself, I expect 2 differences:
1. The guitar should sound more in tune than before.
2. A very large chunk of wood gets removed, so I'm curious of that makes any kind of difference.

What I mean is that, you can adjust the strings in a such a way where you can pick as hard as you physically can and the pitch of the string will not be affected in any way whatsoever, as opposed to traditional bridges, that will have have the string go sharp, therefore, "sounding more in tune".

A main criticism of the Evertune is that removing that much wood + having each string attached to an individual module and not resonating 'together' as much will kill beef, sustain, tone, etc. I've had the bridge installed in one other guitar (KM7) and didn't notice a huge difference, so I wanted to get evidence this time. I still don't think the tone change is enough to keep me from installing the bridge on other guitars after doing this test.

A/B'ing the guitar-only tracks on this, I can hear that the non-ET version is slightly sharp in points, and my hands push it that way (fretting and picking) sometimes. I find that the ET making things perfectly in tune actually helps with chords ringing out (not fighting any dissonance) more clearly and with parts sounding 'bigger' in general since everything is more locked in (again, not having to fight dissonance helps), so the end result is that the ET version sounds better to my ears.

I DEFINITELY have the problem of picking too hard and causing the low string to go out of tune at times, and regularly have this problem with guys that I track. The Evertune solves this issue and lets me get away with thinner strings than I normally would, which I also think offers a tonal benefit (bigger strings generally sound muddier and less defined).

I'm not saying the Evertune is not something cool, but the super polished sound's trend of modern metal that we hear more and more tends to annoys me a bit (EmmureDjentSturgis-style inside). And this contributes to it, I think.
I like all those out-of-tune notes that make the music come to life, like in the Baroness red album, to quote only one :
https://youtu.be/aqQtnOM87yw?t=579
It seems more organic to me, like Kurt Balou's stuff.

Thanks for the share tho. Interesting stuff as usual, and nice to get those RoS DI's.

I DEFINITELY have the problem of picking too hard and causing the low string to go out of tune at times, and regularly have this problem with guys that I track. The Evertune solves this issue and lets me get away with thinner strings than I normally would, which I also think offers a tonal benefit (bigger strings generally sound muddier and less defined).

One complain I've heard often is that it affects bends/vibrato, how does it handle that?

I'm not saying the Evertune is not something cool, but the super polished sound's trend of modern metal that we hear more and more tends to annoys me a bit (EmmureDjentSturgis-style inside). And this contributes to it, I think.
I like all those out-of-tune notes that make the music come to life, like in the Baroness red album, to quote only one :

I don't think evertune has anything to do with it. Recording a properly set-up and tuned instrument played by a properly skilled musician is hardly a new thing. Maybe it allows bad guitarists to sound more in-tune, but again, that is not "polish" or sounding unnatural (like excessive use of autotune can for example) it's how it should sound.

I do get what you're saying, though. You appreciate more the "live" feel of a not-perfectly tuned guitar sound and I can agree that it fits on certain music styles if done right. But, generally speaking, I wouldn't call properly tuned guitars "polished".

The evertune clip's makes the guitars sit better in the mix. The guitars are more even, and ofc are in tune against each other. Sounds better for sure!

I had some set-up problems with my guitar that i have with ET. It wont keep the strings 100% in tune, they go a bit sharp on the pick hit. It is still a very small pitch shift but annoying. I don't think it is user error so im starting to think that my bridge may not be installed correctly. The intonate screws don't affect the intonating that much, anyhow... I think ET is great and have saved me a tone of time recording other guitarist, especially the ones that aren't that good.

So a tune that isn't in-tune is more organic?? I disagree. To my ears Jeff's clips just proves that ET sounds way better then a guitar without it.

^ as far as I know an evertune bridge makes a guitar stay in tune better not sound more in tune.

intonation is way better with an evertune. as you press down the string against the fret the string is being "pulled".
the ET eliminates this pull which results in better overall intonation. it's minimal but yet recognizable, especially if
the string action is higher and also if you tend to choke the neck when playing.

Why did you decide to do this comparison, what kind of difference were you expecting?

I thought the same. My first thought was, what??? Why would evertune change the tone? After all its just a bridge.

You'd be surprised by how many people (who have likely never even SEEN an Evertune in the flesh!) try to claim that it "kills the tone" and robs the guitar of sustain (because we all know how long a cord sustains is the ONLY measure of how good a guitar is! lol)

I have to admit that tonal change was a pretty major worry of mine when I sent my Ibanez to get the install, especially as it was a great sounding and quite rare guitar that I would really struggle to replace. I didn't notice any real change to the tone when I got the guitar back though, and I think Jeff has clearly shown that there's no real difference. And the convenience factor of having a guitar thats perfectly in tune EVERY time I pick it up, that can be set to keep out of tune chords at bay and helps with sharpness caued by hard picking far outweighs any fictional loss in "mojo"

I think the Evertune is the greatest invention in guitar history, simply because it drives me insane to the point where I have restrung and retraced 1 song 10 times and still not been happy with the little off notes, as I pick quite hard. Plus the Evertune has allowed me to do something I could never do before, over-exaggerate my playing by picking as hard as I can on big chords, which would otherwise sound absolutely terrible.

At this point I want to Evertune all my guitars, but I'm still waiting on a tremolo version and something that would work for fanned fret guitars.

Just received my VGS Roadcruiser Evertune. Holy shit! I love the Evertune! So much that I actually decided to get the VGS 7 strings with Evertune as well. This thing is a must for recording.