EVH III mini

tides

Jun 30, 2009
BE
www.myspace.com
Hope you don't mind I start another thread on the EVH 50 watt. I've read/heard plenty reviews on the excellent tonal capabilities, but I keep wondering; how's the noise on these amps?

My previous Peavey 5150 was a fantastic amp, but I couldn't stand the noise/hiss anymore, and sold it for an Engl Fireball 100. Still, I'm really impressed with the EVH mini...

Edit;

sorry, meant to post this in the equipment section, don't know what went wrong :guh:.

All i know is that it makes a bit noise on a ungrounded power outlet, but it's not that bad compared to many other amps i've tried, so i'm guessing it's better than the Peavey.

All high gain amps are going to be a bit noisy tbh. It's just the nature of the beast as you're adding bags of distortion and compression to the signal! Spend a little bit on a noise gate, or even two if you want to do one in front of the amp and one in the fx loop. Problem solved.

I guess I'm just too much accustomed to the noise gate built in the Fireball; using a pedal doesn't really appeal to me :rolleyes:

I was hoping the noise/hiss would be manageable without one...

Didn't mean to ressurect an old thread but...

Strictly for modern metal, would an EVH mini be able to hold up against an Engl Fireball 100?

I know, stupid to ask these questions, but I will not be able to try before I buy ...

Didn't mean to ressurect an old thread but...

Strictly for modern metal, would an EVH mini be able to hold up against an Engl Fireball 100?

I know, stupid to ask these questions, but I will not be able to try before I buy ...

Fireball is a death metal amp really.

The gain structure is completely different, very saturated yet tight, EVH has smoother highs and those classic grinding mids, crushing low, the FB, its naturally scooped with an overly tight low end, the resonance is all around the high mids and general fizzy/harsh area.

owned both, the 50 watt EVH with a decimator G string is 100% quiet.

without a decimator, on the blue channel it's VERY quiet, but not so much on the red channel.

WAY less noisy than the peavey with/without.

i imagine it would hold up to the fireball easily.

My 5150 has zero noise, without a noise suppressor. Most noise-related issues like hum and hiss when not being played through are due to power issues in your rehearsal space, if it's too noisy while being played, you're using too much gain.

FWIW, I didn't like the 50w EVH as much as the 100w. It was a nice sounding amp, don't get me wrong, but I had much higher hopes for it than it could deliver. I haven't tried the Fireball, but the Powerball is one of my least favorite amps I've ever tried. Yuck.

Kinda off, kinda on topic, but is it just me or do TS-type OD's tend to be waaaaay more noisy than a good amp's high-gain channel?

Both my former Marshall and my Krank are dead quiet up until I kick my MXR Classic OD or my friend's TS9 in. THen it turns into feedback/hiss city with just typical Sneap-ish settings.

Kinda off, kinda on topic, but is it just me or do TS-type OD's tend to be waaaaay more noisy than a good amp's high-gain channel?

Both my former Marshall and my Krank are dead quiet up until I kick my MXR Classic OD or my friend's TS9 in. THen it turns into feedback/hiss city with just typical Sneap-ish settings.

Pretty typical. A noise gate of some kind is a must and rehearsal/gig volumes.

Yep. One of the reasons I rarely use a boost anymore.