5150 III EVH Issue?

Fabrice

Feb 21, 2011
Hi!

A friend has a problem with his 5150 III EVH: the blue "pumps" abnormaly.
This is not the poweramp (already tried with the poweramp with a Randall V2, and only the Randall trough the speaker cab), and surely
not the valves (an other set of valves has been tried).
My friend has made a recording of this:
file moi le lien

(Jackson DK2 => 5150 III EVH => Randall XLT 4x12" V30 => SM57 => Maudio Fast Track)
(Full gain, Presence : 7, all the rest at 12 o clock)
Please don't judge the playing, amp set-up and mic positioning this sample has been made just for earing this problem...

Thanks for your help !!

Thanks for your answer.
My friend does not really think that the problem comes from his guitar because it does it with all his guitar. It's like the amp can't accept too much high signal from the guitar. He tried to put his MXR 10 band eq, the volume of the pedal at maximum and the amp doesn't accept at all this...

does it do it on the red channel at all? I like the blue channel for more rock oriented stuff but have never been able to get a good high gain metal tone out of it,it just doesn't have enough gain.
is there any way you could post pics of the setup? like amp settings cord hookups and stuff?

I bought an EVH 5150-III direct from Fender and it had issues with the second channel, if the gain was be turned up over halfway then it would cut the signal in and out as I was playing a riff. I ended up returning the amp.