What to think about the Fender 5150 EVH III ?

And more importantly, who knows who was actually involved in the design of the 5150III; "Fender" is not necessarily some monolithic company with a very specific, unchanging group of amp designers, so it wouldn't surprise me if they brought in some other people to help with the design (maybe Eddie already had a pretty good idea of the schematic, I don't know how tech savvy he is, at least to that degree). Or maybe it was the same in-house amp designers, cuz honestly, it doesn't seem all that complicated to build a good high-gain circuit if you're already great at building tube amps! (and maybe the fact that they haven't ever built a high-gain all-tube head up until now is simply because they didn't think it would be keeping with the image of the brand - and marketing it as EVH solves that ;)) Really though, if you're genuinely writing off the amp simply because they've never done anything like it before, that's some seriously fuzzy logic...

Oh, and now that I have it, I too can jump on this particular bandwagon and say that "The Way of All Flesh" was a 5150III, so game over :D

I tryed this head a couple of time:

Clean channel is better than 5150 clean but really meh for me
Blue channel is fucking amazing and beautiful imo, I want one only for this channel:lol:
Red channel is a little more bright than 5150 red but really close imo.

I hope you're joking, dude... because you come off sounding like a complete dumbass.

Peavey's high gain selling point is the 5150, which was for Eddie Van Halen. This amp is an update on that design for EVH and is very
easily in the same ballpark. It is manufactured by Fender, yes, but marketed as the EVH brand... It's not your typical Fender
amp...

dude im not a fucking retard - i know the 5150 was EVH's peavey head - then eddie left peavey in 2004 and took the signature 5150
number with him, peavey then changed the 5150 to the 6505 because there was no reason to stop making a remarkable amp.

"It is manufactured by Fender, yes, but marketed as the EVH brand..."

marketed by fender - obviously... your point being?

which brings me BACK to one of my 1st points - if fenders version is so high and mighty and wonderful then name me a famous metal
band that uses them. go on - because no one has yet - and it has got fuck all to do with because its EVH's - fuck the 5150 was used by
slipknot, arch enemy (back in the day) machine head etc and i can keep naming them -

fender evh model - released July 1, 2007 - 2 years later and still no famous bands using it... theres something wrong there buddy -
nobody trusts the company to produce high gain - fender is well known for its remarkable hot rods, bassmans and great guitars - all they
got in the high gain line is jim root... and fuck...all that is is a fender with low ass action with a good set up and a set of EMG's in it
(very pretty guitar though...some day ill get it)

and again "I hope you're joking, dude... because you come off sounding like a complete dumbass"

i have never tried the fucking amp you numb nutted fairy - try reading over my posts - im simply saying i wouldn't trust fender to
produce high gain amps and my reasons are explained above

-----

as for fender hiring some dudes to investigate high gain etc well no need for that - i have the schematic along with a lot of other people.
its readily available on the net (see below) dont hire - just copy and tweak

evh_5150.gif

Gojira uses them actually. And ughm, they are the best metal band out right now.

however, metaltastic they did not record that album with the 5150III. The Link and From Mars to Sirius were recorded with Dual Recs. The Way of All Flesh was recorded with the peavey 5150's for the most part.

they were initially endorsed by Peavey and then they went EVH for some reason, more money probably? . I still think they would rather use the Dual Recs though. I've heard grumbles that they had a hard time getting the 5150III's to do their live sound.

Holy shit :lol

"I've never heard it and therefore it sucks!!"

Why don't you try one out before making a decision?

are you fucking retarded - i never therefore it sucks - based on my experience with fender products, research and general whohaw i dont TRUST (READ THE FUCKING WORD) fender when it comes to high gain

for the 3rd FUCKING TIME i have never tried one - its completely illogical to state that "it sucks" from that point of view.

Gojira uses them actually. And ughm, they are the best metal band out right now.

however, metaltastic they did not record that album with the 5150III. The Link and From Mars to Sirius were recorded with Dual Recs. The Way of All Flesh was recorded with the peavey 5150's for the most part.

they were initially endorsed by Peavey and then they went EVH for some reason, more money probably? . I still think they would rather use the Dual Recs though. I've heard grumbles that they had a hard time getting the 5150III's to do their live sound.

i guess thats what it all boils down to in the end - money - trivium are "endorsed" by peaveys digital amp but ill lick my hole if they actually used the dam thing for there new album

and finally can anyone here honestly say when they hear the word "fender" they think of high gain? because i fucking dont - i think of indie rock, classics and clean tones - fender should stick to what they know best instead of tweaking schematics and EVH clearly was approached by fender to produce that new amp.... which means a big juicy cheque in his pocket

YET AGAIN I HAVEN'T TRIED THE FUCKING AMP SO STOP QUOTING OFF THAT AND COME UP WITH A DECENT ARGUMENT AGAINS MY POINTS - im merely basing my judgement on research, general knowledge and blah blah.

and after looking at it http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/EVH-5150-III-HD-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481477&CJAID=10381297&CJPID=1365245 could they not have changed the style - it looks like a Peavey 5150/6505 re-skinned and the peavey logo swapped for EVH - its a pure rip off of peavey's work - dont forget it was peavey who designed the thing - i doubt EVH sat there drawing out schematics - after all he was originally a Marshall man until 1993 when peavey snatched him up

new company - new beginning should mean new image, new work - not a direct rip off of someone work - obviously its not exact - fender had to mod a little to comply with patent rights etc

Peavey didn't exactly reinvent the wheel with the original 5150. It's pretty much based off of the Soldano that Eddie had been using when they recorded the FUCK album. As far as it being an aesthetic rip-off of the Peavey design, the Peavey doesn't even look much different than the SLO. Really, though, they are amps in boxes covered with tolex.

In case anyone cares, I have the 5150 III schematic, and its design shares nothing with the Peavey 5150. It's a completely different design.

which brings me BACK to one of my 1st points - if fenders version is so high and mighty and wonderful then name me a famous metal
band that uses them. go on - because no one has yet - and it has got fuck all to do with because its EVH's - fuck the 5150 was used by
slipknot, arch enemy (back in the day) machine head etc and i can keep naming them -

fender evh model - released July 1, 2007 - 2 years later and still no famous bands using it... theres something wrong there buddy -
nobody trusts the company to produce high gain - fender is well known for its remarkable hot rods, bassmans and great guitars - all they
got in the high gain line is jim root... and fuck...all that is is a fender with low ass action with a good set up and a set of EMG's in it
(very pretty guitar though...some day ill get it)

What do either of these things have to do with the amp's sound? Does an amp (or rather, the company that makes the amp) have to be endorsed by lots of metal artists for you to like/respect it, regardless of tone? :loco: You have specified that you've never played one, you just have your doubts, and that's fine, but it's stuff like what your saying above that I think is what's rubbing people the wrong way...

Peavey didn't exactly reinvent the wheel with the original 5150. It's pretty much based off of the Soldano that Eddie had been using when they recorded the FUCK album. As far as it being an aesthetic rip-off of the Peavey design, the Peavey doesn't even look much different than the SLO. Really, though, they are amps in boxes covered with tolex.

thank you for a civilized conversation trav - i didn't realise EV was using soldano slo 150 - thanks for informing me. still then if peavey nicked it from soldano then right...its been done - fender should really have made a different move to pimp things out differently - i believe it would have made more of an impact because really look at the pictures of the fender and the peavey - there almost identical - the soldano and the peavey are much more different i think but still some what identical. i understand what ya said though dude...its just tolex slopped onto a box - its a 50/50 ratio in my opinion because image plays a vital role in peoples lives & in marketing a successful product. fresh image certainly helps a product to market launch.

what a fucking idiot this kid is... holy shit...

Joshua im just going to ignore what you said and what you say from this moment on in the sneap forums - clearly your incapable of having a conversation like an adult - you should learn to have some respect for someone who's made more of an input into the forums then you have.

Joshua im just going to ignore what you said and what you say from this moment on in the sneap forums - clearly your incapable of having a conversation like an adult - you should learn to have some respect for someone who's made more of an input into the forums then you have.

To be fair, thats not exactly something that you should be judging.

yes it is - im sure in the past i have posted a reply to at least 1 post he has asked a question in and i have always tried my upmost to help and advise people where im capable of. im hardly an elder here but i've been here 4 years and i've made more of an input then he has, he should learn to not slate what i say. fair enough if he's capable of doing it in a civilized manner but to blatantly insult me and especially not justify his comment... well... thats retiredness in my books. - whats he trying to do? bump up his post count?

i've never done it to someone who i would consider an elder or someone who has made a decent contribution to the forums. he has not - he simply made a quick insult and left without explaining himself

i stand by what i posted - i dont lick back what i spat out

i guess thats what it all boils down to in the end - money - trivium are "endorsed" by peaveys digital amp but ill lick my hole if they actually used the dam thing for there new album

and finally can anyone here honestly say when they hear the word "fender" they think of high gain? because i fucking dont - i think of indie rock, classics and clean tones - fender should stick to what they know best instead of tweaking schematics and EVH clearly was approached by fender to produce that new amp.... which means a big juicy cheque in his pocket

and after looking at it http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/EVH-5150-III-HD-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=481477&CJAID=10381297&CJPID=1365245 could they not have changed the style - it looks like a Peavey 5150/6505 re-skinned and the peavey logo swapped for EVH - its a pure rip off of peavey's work - dont forget it was peavey who designed the thing - i doubt EVH sat there drawing out schematics - after all he was originally a Marshall man until 1993 when peavey snatched him up

new company - new beginning should mean new image, new work - not a direct rip off of someone work - obviously its not exact - fender had to mod a little to comply with patent rights etc

I don't know what Trivium is sponsored to play besides the Peavey brand in general but when I saw them at Mayhem they were definitely using 5150's. i think the problem with your argument is simple here: you never played the amp, so what exactly are you arguing? That Fender can't make a high gain amp? You think making a high gain amp is some kind of insane science that only a few select companies can do? Fender is massive, with vast resources at their disposal dude. They can do whatever the fuck they want lol. And frankly, if you ask me I think they've approached it really well. They have the EVH/5150 name now, with bands like Gojira (sickest,hardest band out right now) pushing their product.

Furthermore, bands that are already signed and touring don't usually just jump on any endorsement bandwagon that comes a long. After all they need to sound good live, and most importantly sound like themselves right? So, to some degree the band and endorser must fit well for success.

This is not without saying never buy gear strictly based on whose endorsed by what company because in the end the studio recordings are always a mixmash of different amps/guitars/etc.

Since you are the one with all the swearing and completely needless insults, I'd say that you're the one with the maturity issues.

YET AGAIN I HAVEN'T TRIED THE FUCKING AMP SO STOP QUOTING OFF THAT AND COME UP WITH A DECENT ARGUMENT AGAINS MY POINTS - im merely basing my judgement on research, general knowledge and blah blah.

My argument against your points is the following:

You haven't tried the amp, so you dont know what the fuck you are talking about.
I do respect you, and what you have contributed to this forum, but seriously, just give it up.. No, i dont associate Fender with Higain, but i dont associate Marshall or Mesa/Boogie with Higain either.
Your only argument seems to be that Fender are mostly involved with vintage gear.. which is a pretty weak one if you ask me.

You have a problem with Fender as a brand, and thats fine and all.. but why do you even argue about it when openly admit that you never played the 5150III?

Didnt you stay away from Fenders due to them NOT being higain before? And now that they made one, something has to be wrong with it, right?

My argument against your points is the following:

You haven't tried the amp, so you dont know what the fuck you are talking about.
I do respect you, and what you have contributed to this forum, but seriously, just give it up.. No, i dont associate Fender with Higain, but i dont associate Marshall or Mesa/Boogie with Higain either.
Your only argument seems to be that Fender are mostly involved with vintage gear.. which is a pretty weak one if you ask me.

You have a problem with Fender as a brand, and thats fine and all.. but why do you even argue about it when openly admit that you never played the 5150III?

Didnt you stay away from Fenders due to them NOT being higain before? And now that they made one, something has to be wrong with it, right?

if i had a problem with fender as a brand then well i would not have stated earlier on that hot rods, deluxe etc are amazing amps and i wouldn't have played a telecaster for 5 years if i didn't like fender.

fender ARE mostly involved in vintage gear, clean tones, jazz works etc - its a known fact that thats what they mostly specialize in.

"Marshall or Mesa/Boogie with Higain either"

that really doesn't make sense - ask any average dude who's heard of marshall amps - he's going to mention a band who use hi-gain (ranging from ozzy to guns n roses upwards in gain) he's not going to say a fucking jazz band. marshall are known for there amazing distortion tonality and harmonics - fender are known for there amazing clean tones - nobody can deny this! im serial :)P) everyone knows the famous wall of marshals and associates it with distortion

:Didnt you stay away from Fenders due to them NOT being higain before? And now that they made one, something has to be wrong with it, right?:

i dont know what time period your quoting there. let me state my feelings on fender and gain. fenders are perfect for clean tones, fender + clean = sex, fender and slight gain works very well together but the second you take the gain level past standard rock fenders just dont deliver. i've played through a deville, deluxe, d-reverb and yup we even had a blackface (it was so cool) in college, both have amazing clean tones, the second you force the gain up to pull a high gain tone (and hit the red channel and use the gain boost it instantly turns to over compressed and un clear. the blackface really couldn't cut it - its a jazz players amp at heart

thats what runs me to my decision that fenders dont cut it for high gain. if they did then they would have produced high gain amps in the past - why did they stay away from it? why when rock and metal came into the scene back in the late 70's did fender not jump onto the wagon and start making them? yet marshall did - thats why marshals are not known for there famous clean tones - because there not that amazing

and for i believe the 4th or 5th time now "You haven't tried the amp, so you dont know what the fuck you are talking about"

dude and everyone else - i know i haven't tried the amp - i stated it constantly - im basing my reasons on past experiences with fenders, research and general knowledge. maybe if i tried one i would like it - all i simply set out to do is to state from my knowledge fender sucked at high gain amp production and perhaps they still do - the safer bet would be to stick with an amp known for being high gain ie: marshall, peavey, mesa, krank etc (you know the list)

reason i picked my peavey 6505+ - reading reviews, reading comments on here, before i bought it i never even got to try one in ireland - there were none in the country - i went to every half decent music shop i knew of and no one had one in stock because in this country its a "specialized" amp due to its price and legality with valve equipment in venues in ireland -

thus i stuck to a name i knew my idols used, countless yanks have used (because its cheaper over there) and bucket loads of review users used. i didn't pick a fender because i played through them, they didn't cut it for high gain so i wouldn't chance it.

thats like.... lada have been shitty cars for years and years - if ford started making lada's i wouldn't buy the fucking thing - i'd rather buy another make in the same price range that i know is capable of delivering - maybe the "ford lada's" would be good but i aint gona chance it being in a small metaless country

phew!

can we end this crap now!

yes it is - im sure in the past i have posted a reply to at least 1 post he has asked a question in and i have always tried my upmost to help and advise people where im capable of. im hardly an elder here but i've been here 4 years and i've made more of an input then he has, he should learn to not slate what i say. fair enough if he's capable of doing it in a civilized manner but to blatantly insult me and especially not justify his comment... well... thats retiredness in my books. - whats he trying to do? bump up his post count?

i've never done it to someone who i would consider an elder or someone who has made a decent contribution to the forums. he has not - he simply made a quick insult and left without explaining himself

i stand by what i posted - i dont lick back what i spat out

No it's not, you earn respect, you don't demand it. A rich man never tells you that he's rich Ross, shit, you could at least try to have a little modesty, instead of saying "I've been here longer than you so I deserve respect", if other people think you deserve it then they will give it to you, and perhaps forgive you for going overboard this once with an opinion that has fuck all grounding in any logical reality, but you dont stand there and shout that respect is your god given right, because it just isn't.

Your whole logic on this one seems to be that Fender should stick to what they know, and that idea leaves little room for progression, as you also seem to think that anything that is unfamiliar terrority - ie not a stereotype you've come to assume, is shit.

Thats flawed at best, you don't even have any grounding from playing the fucking thing, you form an opinion out of cliches and stereotypes and then you expect everyone else to agree and demand respect when someone points out your obvious BS.

Seriously. Put some thought into it man.