What to think about the Fender 5150 EVH III ?

As per the schematic its strikingly similar to a 5150 II. It can be dialed in almost identically on the red channel if you're playing through the same cab.

The switching is HORRIBLE on them, but they sound very good. I wouldn't purchase one simply because of build quality. What I would do is make the swap, trade it for a 5150 II and some cash.

-Greg

I didn't get a chance to try one but my guitar tracks on our band's upcoming cd were reamped with a 5150 III... hell, it slays!! Should have the raw tracks somewhere, I'll see if I find em...

My co-guitarist had one, and I've played through a number of them, and found the switching to be better than most. What bad things did you notice?

When I first played this amp, I enjoyed it a lot too. Then, me and my buddy went to Guitar Center and played the same riff through the 5150III and 5150II side by side both on the same model cabinet, on the floor, next to each other, with Les Paul Studios. It sounded almost exactly the same. For $1000 dollars less, I'd rather get a 5150II (like I have) and put $1000 dollars worth of premium grade transformers into it (which I've done).

The first few runs had a lot of defects, exploded, etc. I can't vouch for the new ones because after the first batch disappeared, I never saw more in any store.

The problem is right here:

I responded there under "lolzgreg." I spoke to my buddies who mod my amplifiers and they gave me the scoop on these things. They said that the switching is the most disgusting thing they've ever seen on a $2000 dollar amplifier. Unless Fender has fixed this problem, it is a costly repair that requires a modification to the noise reduction circuit used in the channel switching mechanism. I do admit they sound good, but it's so much like a 5150 II it's ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats mild in comparison to a recto, even after owning mine for well over a year I still get caught off guard sometimes while changing channels and shit myself a little....