What to think about the Fender 5150 EVH III ?

I could care less what he thinks of the amp or the amp in general. I don't even own it anymore. It's just his constant insulting and ranting like a pissed off, ignorant young teenager in this thread that got annoying. My elder? Seriously? Reread your posts dude. You were insulting about 5 different people for no reason whatsoever. That tends to annoy most people...

Öwen;8558995 said:
No it's not, you earn respect, you don't demand it. A rich man never tells you that he's rich Ross, shit, you could at least try to have a little modesty, instead of saying "I've been here longer than you so I deserve respect", if other people think you deserve it then they will give it to you, and perhaps forgive you for going overboard this once with an opinion that has fuck all grounding in any logical reality, but you dont stand there and shout that respect is your god given right, because it just isn't.

Your whole logic on this one seems to be that Fender should stick to what they know, and that idea leaves little room for progression, as you also seem to think that anything that is unfamiliar terrority - ie not a stereotype you've come to assume, is shit.

Thats flawed at best, you don't even have any grounding from playing the fucking thing, you form an opinion out of cliches and stereotypes and then you expect everyone else to agree and demand respect when someone points out your obvious BS.

Seriously. Put some thought into it man.

dude - have you not read my last post - cliches and stereotypes - I PLAYED THROUGH FENDERS FOR 2 YEARS - I PLAYED A TELECASTER FOR 5 FUCKING YEARS!

i do not demand respect - i expect it for the way i treat others in which i wronged nobody here (and never have) and i was slated by a fucking idiot who couldn't explain himself on his slating post. all i wanted to do was to put my opinion across. i never done wrong to him - i never even commented on something he wrote in the post before and he immediately starts calling me a dumbass etc. AND why me? beyond dead agreed with what i said - no insults flying at him. its merely an argument for the sake of it

if a logical argument was placed forward i'll accept it read it and come up with a conclusion - but thats not what happened. read back on it - theres nothing that says anything about tonality or any of my arguments. it just basically says im a fucking idiot - thats it! oh how fucking adult of you!

thats no different then me and you having a conversation on favorite booby size and somebody comes up to you and says your a fucking idiot and walks away - what the fuck do you expect to think!

on that note read back further - JoshuaLogan has never even owned a peavey - eh... something's not adding up here? im sure half the people who's posted in this post have never even seen a peavey head in reality let alone a "rare" fender 5150

its simply going to end with us all agreeing to disagree:lol: this is pointless - because all im doing is reposting everything i've said already and your all posting back stuff you's have said already!:lol:

dude - have you not read my last post - cliches and stereotypes - I PLAYED THROUGH FENDERS FOR 2 YEARS - I PLAYED A TELECASTER FOR 5 FUCKING YEARS!

i do not demand respect - i expect it for the way i treat others in which i wronged nobody here (and never have) and i was slated by a fucking idiot who couldn't explain himself on his slating post. all i wanted to do was to put my opinion across. i never done wrong to him - i never even commented on something he wrote in the post before and he immediately starts calling me a dumbass etc. AND why me? beyond dead agreed with what i said - no insults flying at him. its merely an argument for the sake of it

if a logical argument was placed forward i'll accept it read it and come up with a conclusion - but thats not what happened. read back on it - theres nothing that says anything about tonality or any of my arguments. it just basically says im a fucking idiot - thats it! oh how fucking adult of you!

thats no different then me and you having a conversation on favorite booby size and somebody comes up to you and says your a fucking idiot and walks away - what the fuck do you expect to think!

on that note read back further - JoshuaLogan has never even owned a peavey - eh... something's not adding up here? im sure half the people who's posted in this post have never even seen a peavey head in reality let alone a "rare" fender 5150

its simply going to end with us all agreeing to disagree:lol: this is pointless - because all im doing is reposting everything i've said already and your all posting back stuff you's have said already!:lol:

"yes i fucking know that - hence i said 'on that note i never played through one so im just going by my gut feeling.' you clod!"

"i have never tried the fucking amp you numb nutted fairy"

"are you fucking retarded - i never therefore it sucks"

comments like that aren't very "respectful"

and what's that shit about not ever having seen a peavey? dude, nearly anyone here can go on ebay and buy one for $650. they are common place in metal because they have a specific sound that works for the style and they are CHEAP. that's why you see so many metal bands using them. a lot of metalheads don't have money to throw down on high end gear. there is nothing particularly special about them, and I'm sure most people here have played them or seen various bands using them live.

dude thats because your living in cheapo dream land USA - a peavey 6505+ in ireland when i purchased mine was (direct $ conversion) 2,279.59 USD - you wont find one on ebay for $650 in ireland (around 450 euro's) and if you say "oh buy from the USA" read my latest post here: Link Here

they are NOT cheap for europeans to buy, neither are marshall - thats why i had my cab imported from turkey - thats how far i went to source a good deal)

"yes i fucking know that - hence i said 'on that note i never played through one so im just going by my gut feeling.' you clod!"

"i have never tried the fucking amp you numb nutted fairy"

"are you fucking retarded - i never therefore it sucks"

comments like that aren't very "respectful"

try tracking back those replies to which posts dude - then post your illogical argument

Hey guys this lame flame war is crapping up a thread full of useful info. Just be adults and drop it please. I'd be very interested in hearing some samples of the gain channel and definitely the clean as well if anyone has them on hand or can get them. I'm sure the distortion on a 5150 brand amp will be tasty but with that fender clean in there it could be sex in an amp. Clips?

Yes and half the people commenting here aren't dishing out uniformed opinions like they were gospel :zombie:

This is like you saying you X boob size is not your favourite when you've never been near a pair of tits like them in general, reeks of keyboard jockeying, your basing an opinion of a totally different branch of a company, dude, I own a fender tele, it doesnt give me the right to wax lyrical about their amps like I had either:

A) Played them.

B) Actually had a fucking clue about what I was talking about.

What your saying is a bit like saying Peavey Guitars must only be good for high gain stuff because the 6505 is, dude its fucking apples and oranges, just because it has a certain name on the thing does not mean it was even designed by the same people - just mass manufactured by a popular company. You really think the same dudes that design telecasters head up Fenders amp department? Or that Fender are such a stupid company they can't employ anyone who knows jack shit about amps for metal and hard rock?

And no ones saying your opinion is right or wrong, just that your presenting it in a way that has no basis on anything concrete. If you're going to put forward an opinion surely the first objective is to keep it grounded in cold hard facts and experiences, this is real life here, not religion.

As for this I did not demand respect pish:

you should learn to have some respect for someone who's made more of an input into the forums then you have.

What is that except for a declaration that someone should have respect for you by virtue of your post count or duration of time here. I mean really... pull the other one.

Definitely.

I've ran into people that swore they'd never consider owning a 5150 because Peavey makes it. These people have absolutely no IDEA what they are talking about do they? But their rationale was "fuck that, peavey makes cheap shit geared towards a mass audience, i'd never play that shit" and so they never even tried playing it. that's what you sound like Mick.

if i had a problem with fender as a brand then well i would not have stated earlier on that hot rods, deluxe etc are amazing amps and i wouldn't have played a telecaster for 5 years if i didn't like fender... bladibladablaaa ...dude and everyone else - i know i haven't tried the amp - i stated it constantly - im basing my reasons on past experiences with fenders, research and general knowledge. maybe if i tried one i would like it - all i simply set out to do is to state from my knowledge fender sucked at high gain amp production and perhaps they still do - the safer bet would be to stick with an amp known for being high gain ie: marshall, peavey, mesa, krank etc (you know the list)... bladibladabla.... can we end this crap now!

But you do have a problem with Fender as a brand if you honestly think that they cant produce a higain amp without fucking up.. But hey, one of the worlds largest musical instruments manufacturers dont have the resources to get some pretty awesome shit done, right? ;)

I dont know what kind of research you are talking about, but higain is not something unique and hard to achieve in an amplifier.
And that Fender sucked at making higain amps might be because they never really bothered to make one.. read the story behind Randall amplifiers.
Don Randall worked for Fender for 15 years, he is the guy who named AND marketed their guitars & amps, but he left due to the fact that they didn't want to evolve from what they where doing, he wanted to create something new(Which was the worlds first Higain amp.).. so the only reason that Fender never really made any higain amps isnt because they couldn't, it was because they didnt want to, even when they had the chance to make THE breakthrough.

But yeah, its fine if you want to think that Fender cant build a great tube amp that actually distorts, but dont try to argue about it, because you dont have any good arguments as to WHY they cant.

So we have a well-respected, huge company that has 2 amp manufacturers under its hood (Fender and Genz Benz), teaming up with a legendary guitarist that happens to be a tone and gear nut with a very specific vision of what he wants, to produce a high-gain amp that's quite obviously a continuation of a market- and rock history-proven product...

I don't know what's up with you guys, but that makes me rather CURIOUS than suspicious about the product in question.

And I actually happened to have tried the amp. I wasn't too impressed but I still give the amp the benefit of the doubt of not even nearly perfect conditions for my test-ride: Rather low volume and only in conjunction with the corresponding cab.

But what really irks me is the "it's on the market for about two years, but hardly anyone with metal cred picked up on it" argument. What are two years? That's nothing considering how conservative people are about new amplifiers. Do you expect people to jump from their trusted 5150s/Rectis to a new, unproven product in a matter of months?

It also took the original 5150 a few years for people to move on from their 800s and to establish the product with its legendary status. Bands like Carcass or Machine Head cemented that amp in high-gain amp history with their cornerstone records years AFTER the amp was introduced.

And the 5150 III is on a similar way, being praised for the tones of the latest Testament and Gojira records.

So please, give the product some time before you declare it a failure.

Oh my fucking god - I just looked and saw that this thing has 8 preamp tubes??? o_O I guess some must be for individual channels, but yikes, talk about heat/power consumption...

That said, I'm kinda GAS'ing for one of these for some reason - not as much as for a Roadster though! :D (but this is coming into a dangerously close second :D)

Blimey the signal to noise ratio is getting low in here!

Anyway I agree about useful info. It does have 8 preamp tubes:

5150iii_interior.jpg

V1 - Input tube for all 3 channels.
V2, V3 - preamp stages for channels 1 & 2
V4, V5, V6 preamp stages for channel 3. V4 sets the high gain I believe so I might try out some different 12AX7's in that socket at some point.
V7 FX loop Buffer
V8 Phase Inverter

These James Lugo "high gain amp shootout" vids are quite a nice comparrison too (though the 5150 III doesn't feature much in the vids): [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJGO5frt69Q&feature=channel_page[/ame]

jesus forget it! im not posting back yet again what i already posted - its impossible for me to have a problem with a company whom i use their equipment. if i did have a problem i would simply not use their gear.

i use their gear!!!!!!!

im done here - good luck in your fender hi-gain posts - its pointless to keep on posting the same crap back and forth

Metaltastic - try the 5150III! That's the moral of this thread after all! Its a really cool amp. I've had a lot of time with a triple rec, a krankenstein and a jcm 900... I also own a thunderverb, a 5150III and a 6505 and the 5150III is top of the pile for me!

Cool dude, I definitely will! (I actually already have through the matching cab and remember digging it, though that was some time ago...)

Yeah and At The Gates etc etc.... Those were just two examples of a gazillion of users.

Edit: Though I'm not even sure about ATG haha... That could still be Marshall and some pedal.

I heard this amp again and I liked it more than I remember. If the reliability issues are pushed aside and the switching was fixed. I'd do it. Saw Gojira playing em and they sounded nuts.

My issue is that I doubt it will outperform the 5150 II I have modded and there's no reason for me to dump 1-1.5k into an amp that will do me no more good than what I have. No one has it anymore to test it either.