What to think about the Fender 5150 EVH III ?

Thats mild in comparison to a recto, even after owning mine for well over a year I still get caught off guard sometimes while changing channels and shit myself a little....

I've never used the footswitch on a 3-channel recto before. My two channel can be somewhat scary sometimes as well. The thing about the amp in the video, it's on "bedroom" volumes. When that sucker is cranked, it probably sounds like shotgun fire when you switch from clean to overdrive :zombie:

I have one. I also have a 6505. It literally shits on the 6505. I find it hard to dial in a bad tone on this amp, definitely have a play on one if you're considering a Peavey. Cleans are awesome too.

Roadsters have a popping noise as well as a delay between switches. However, people on the boogie board found ways around both.

For the switch pop, you cycle through the footpedal before playing and for the delay you do something with leaving the reverb on but turned all the wayoff or something like that.

Dunno if the same would work for the EVH.

Yeah, the reverb is footswitchable on Roadsters, but you can also control how much verb each channel has via knobs on the back, so apparently the trick is to leave the verb always-on on the footswitch, and just turn the knob all the way down if you don't want it on a certain channel! (or channels) Who knows why... (some suggested that the delay was intentional, a way to let the reverb trail off when switching channels, but then why would the delay only be there with the reverb disabled? o_O )

Hi guys,

I just googled 5150 III stuff and saw my little clip in this thread so thought I'd jump in to offer an update if anyone is interested in the 5150 III:-

The amp is just plain badass.The sound is so good!! If I fire it up on the blue channel with a Les Paul, I'm stuck there for hours and hours like a fly on fly paper - it's an incredibly addictive amp to play. Of course it sounds best when cranked up, but for a 100W amp it actually sounds pretty good at TV volumes, which, rather bizarrely makes it a nice practice amp too :)

Thats mild in comparison to a recto, even after owning mine for well over a year I still get caught off guard sometimes while changing channels and shit myself a little....

I don't usually change channels during performance, so I don't have to deal with this problem.

But I heard there is a way to reduce these popping noises when switching channels with the footswitch. I think you have to switch through the channels in a certain way (don't remember) while you're turning on the Recto, before removing the stand by, and then go for it.

as far as fender go in the world of metal you got jim root from slipknot....and eh...? who else? thats what made me choose my peavey 6505+ instead of the fender series - like fender make some savage amps such as the hot rod etc but when it comes to high gain i dont know...i just have a feeling they dont really know there shit in that sector - on that note i never played through one so im just going by my gut feeling. also amplitube's fender's metal tones are bloody awful and if they work in conjunction with fender and thats what they were able to come up with for a metal tone...well... its a big fail in my book.

im well happy with my 6505+ - i like some dirt in my clean tones, i like a wall of tone and i like the fact that my amp says "Peavey 6505+" on the front & well countless metal heads cant be wrong using the 5150 / 6505 (peavey) can they? how many professional musicians other then EVH do you know that uses fenders 5150? i dont know any!

^ you really should have tried a 5150III - there's no sense in ruling one out because Jim Root was the only metal guitarist who came to mind who uses Fender. Amplitube and gut feeling can't substitute playing the intro riff from 'Shortest Straw' in front of a 4x12 and making your own mind up!!

Obviously its a matter of taste - the 6505 is so awesome and it certainly rears its head here and there for me but the 5150III is just head and shoulders better...

The only other things metal that Fender have done are things like the 'Fender Metalhead' and it is honestly one of the worst sounding heads I've ever heard.

The 5150 III is honestly worth a look though. I would love to own one, but funds and needs do not quite add up. :lol:

^ you really should have tried a 5150III - there's no sense in ruling one out because Jim Root was the only metal guitarist who came to mind who uses Fender. Amplitube and gut feeling can't substitute playing the intro riff from 'Shortest Straw' in front of a 4x12 and making your own mind up!!

Obviously its a matter of taste - the 6505 is so awesome and it certainly rears its head here and there for me but the 5150III is just head and shoulders better...

yes i fucking know that - hence i said "on that note i never played through one so im just going by my gut feeling." you clod!

Yeh I read the whole post, I just commented on you ruling out that amp because of 'gut-feeling' and fender not knowing 'their shit'. Easy on the clod dude.

The only other things metal that Fender have done are things like the 'Fender Metalhead' and it is honestly one of the worst sounding heads I've ever heard.

The 5150 III is honestly worth a look though. I would love to own one, but funds and needs do not quite add up. :lol:

Fender Metalhead.
I swear to fuck when you play that amp you conjur the spirit of 13 year old boys hearing for good tone when you play that amp

:puke:

I had one for a while. It was my favorite head of all I've owned. I've owned the following heads: Orange Rockerverb, Framus Dragon, Mesa Roadster, Cauble Omnitone (custom builder kinda thing... I don't think he makes amps anymore), and a Bogner Uberschall. I think the 5150 III was the all around best sounding head out of all of those. Mine didn't have a bad popping problem, but turning the FX loop on and off affected the gain level a little bit and you could tell there was a difference. That's the only thing I didn't like about it...

as far as fender go in the world of metal you got jim root from slipknot....and eh...? who else? thats what made me choose my peavey 6505+ instead of the fender series - like fender make some savage amps such as the hot rod etc but when it comes to high gain i dont know...i just have a feeling they dont really know there shit in that sector - on that note i never played through one so im just going by my gut feeling. also amplitube's fender's metal tones are bloody awful and if they work in conjunction with fender and thats what they were able to come up with for a metal tone...well... its a big fail in my book.

Well then you dont know what you're talking about. Its probably one off the best new amps out there. Off course theres nothing wrong with the 6505 but ill be buying the EVH mk III to my studio when i saved up some money, cause itsa great amp. Probably gonna be a classic in the future!!!

mick thompson is right. fender is awesome for cleans, and other genres like rock, funk, jazz, and even hard rock, but not metal :( they do make some jizz worthy stuff though

thank you dead! stick with the companies who know what there doing when it comes to high gain - ie: peavey, mesa, krank, engl, vht & marshall - unless your after a beach boys tone! :p

thank you dead! stick with the companies who know what there doing when it comes to high gain - ie: peavey, mesa, krank, engl, vht & marshall - unless your after a beach boys tone! :p

I hope you're joking, dude... because you come off sounding like a complete dumbass.

Peavey's high gain selling point is the 5150, which was for Eddie Van Halen. This amp is an update on that design for EVH and is very easily in the same ballpark. It is manufactured by Fender, yes, but marketed as the EVH brand... It's not your typical Fender amp...