EVH vs. Mesa vs. Diezel vs. Marshall

Simon Dorn

Jun 24, 2012
www.thy-final-pain.com
Hi! I think i will sell the Diezel and the Mesa again and keep the EVH and the Marshall...and buy a Motorcycle, or anything else :) lol
Everything is recorded with the Grossmann SG-Box/Vintage 30/Sm57/e906. What do you think? Best Regards, Simon

Last edited by a moderator:
Overall, I liked the Marshall best, followed by the EVH. I kind of like the squishy mids of the Diezel, although they're a bit too pronounced. The Mesa lacks mids and sounds like it would get lost in a mix more easily then the other amps, so it didn't do much for me in this test. Overall though, all the amps had too much gain, IMO. thanks, tough.

I like all of them.

The EVH is a little muddier than what I expected but sounds pretty great.

The Mesa could certainly be dialed in with a bit more cut, but still is probably not the best choice for your style.

The Diezel sounded great, and I love your Marshall

Question, do you think the evh 50 watt is loud enough for a band context, does it crank up well or does it start to get bad ugly at near max volumes? Also, wasnt it you who had the evh stealth? Did you not find it better or different enough from the 50 watter to keep around ?

I like all of them.

The EVH is a little muddier than what I expected but sounds pretty great.

The Mesa could certainly be dialed in with a bit more cut, but still is probably not the best choice for your style.

The Diezel sounded great, and I love your Marshall

Question, do you think the evh 50 watt is loud enough for a band context, does it crank up well or does it start to get bad ugly at near max volumes? Also, wasnt it you who had the evh stealth? Did you not find it better or different enough from the 50 watter to keep around ?

Thanks! The EVH 5150 50 Watt is plenty loud. Even for an extreme Death-Metal Band ! :) I had the Stealth, yes. It was even more compressed and kind of "metallic" sounding in the pick attack. On the red channel, nothing really changed anymore after the gain on 7. Blue was more compressed also. Kind of a red channel, but with less gain. I tried the matching cab with my mini and was able to dial in an almost completely identical sound to the 100 watt version. It sounded like my boosted recto, also, so i felt no need to spend 3 grand :)
Cheers!

The EVH is the only one I really like. Sounds great on this. Something wonky going on with the mids on the Marshall, the Diezel sounds too thin in the lows/low mids and the Recto sounds like it was mic'd 10 feet away from the speaker.

as I wrote in your other thread, an iso cab doesn't really help the diezel with it's heavy mids.

Still like the vh4 more than the recto in that clip.
Based on these 4 clips alone I'd also keep the evh and the marshall.

It depends on what you need and like, but for me it's the same in person, as well. The Iso-Cab is, of course, different sounding than a Mesa 412, for example. Did you watch this clip?:

Last edited by a moderator: