Evile at the Canal Club

cparker

Nov 10, 2010
Suffolk, VA USA
www.flickr.com
Hi all, I'm Chandler and have been a fan of Evile since I discovered them several months ago. I was able to see them at the Canal Club in Richmond last night, and would like to take a bit of time to recount my experience and thank the guys in Evile for, well, being awesome.

To start off, I was pleasantly surprised by just how small the venue was. All of the concerts I've been to up to then had been in much larger venues, so it was a shock to walk into a bar with a tiny stage crammed against the back wall. Only about 200 people, if that, showed up for the concert, which is a far cry from the sea of people at the other concerts I've attended.

Shortly after walking in, a guy that was standing beside me while we we waiting in line to get into the venue told me that he had spotted Ben Carter. I went over to the Evile merch table and bought Enter the Grave with the hopes of getting it signed during the night, and, as if on cue, Ol walks right up to the merch table! He graciously signed the CD and got a picture with me, and waved off my complimenting him on his guitar playing. After walking around a bit more, I spotted Ol and the rest of the guys eating dinner at a booth, and after waiting for them to finish up their meals, I headed over and asked if they'd sign the CD for me, which they of course did.

I wanted to be right at the front of the barrier when Evile went on, so I asked Ol which side he was going to be on (who was sabotaging Gama Bomb by turning a random knob on one of their amps) and got in place just as Gama Bomb went on. I'll try not to go on and on about Evile's set, but suffice to say it was better than any other concert I've been to (Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, Testament, Exodus, Dream Theater, etc.). Everything sounded spot on, and the sound quality had to be heard to be believed. And to top it all off, Ol handed me a pick during the show.

Later, as I was standing around waiting for Overkill to come on, I noticed Joel was standing about ten feet behind me at the Evile merch table, so I walked over and chatted with him for a bit. I asked him if I could get a picture with him, so he called Matt and Ol over too. Afterward, Matt chatted with me for a minute or two, and seemed surprised that I thought their show was better than those of much more established bands. After that, Overkill came on, with Ol heading over to his laptop at the merch table, Matt talking to the woman was managing their merch, and Ben and Joel watching Overkill.

I don't usually write such lengthy posts, but I had such a incredible time that I felt the need to post about it here and thank the guys for being so humble and appreciative of their fans. :D

Here are a few photos from the show:

5164072323_d8da643e32.jpg

5164087505_7d587b9cd3.jpg

5164015091_a2880a5b71.jpg

And here's my signed CD and picks:

5165335096_2115f7d901.jpg

See here for the rest of the photos that I took.

And here are videos of the Evile's entire set, minus their opening song, Infected Nations:

part 1

part 2

Ol you sneaky little bastard:heh:

Awezome reveiw dude and welcome to the forum! I'll check out the vids tomorrow.

Just noticed a yellow sticker on Ol's guitar... What could it be o_O

You aren't making my three day wait any easier dude. :lol: Good review, and glad to see you had a good time. WELCOME TO THE FORUMS. :kickass:

3 months, but you are going to have them for the whole year of 2011 ;)

Welcome to the boards cparker, nice review. I was thinking the same when I saw them at a small club a couple of weeks ago; the sound was clear and crisp especially in a small club, not an easy task.

Most definitely. Cannot wait until the boys are back, they are getting the world's most belated birthday gifts ever, Joel especially, it'll be his birthday again by the time he gets this years present haha. Ol's had part of his, ugh, so muddled up lol.