Expectations for new releases in 2012

1. Circus Maximus
2. Seventh Wonder (2013 is more likely)
3. Haken (there again 2013 is more likely)
4. Disperse
5. Periphery
Can't think of anything else right now.

The first 'surprise-release' for me this year is from German band 'Xandria' and their album "Neverworld's End".

It's symphonic metal with a progressive touch.
A certain Finnish band comes to mind when listening to it, but the songs are great and the new singer delivers for sure!
Check out the great opening song from the album (i.e. this is not the official single they released):

Last edited by a moderator:
The first 'surprise-release' for me this year is from German band 'Xandria' and their album "Neverworld's End".

It's symphonic metal with a progressive touch.
A certain Finnish band comes to mind when listening to it, but the songs are great and the new singer delivers for sure!
Check out the great opening song from the album (i.e. this is not the official single they released):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5PPfgsylNE

yeah, you're right, they remind me a bit of Children Of Bodom and Nightwish

Hmm, I like that Xandria song! I'll have to check out the album.

Apparently the new Circus Maximus album is finished, and they said they'd post snippets to facebook, but I haven't seen anything yet. So I imagine it'll be released soon! (Well, hopefully)

Status Minor - Ouroboros

Another great proge metal band in Lion Music's roster (and from Finland! :D). Somebody here might heard their debut album Dialog, which released few years ago. That album threw up some serious promises. And, oh my godness, band will cash out those promises in their fortcoming second album Ouroboros (Lion Music, will be released 25th april). This might be, or IMO it already is, one of the best prog metal albums in 2012. And why? Because the songs! Very catchy and melody with a hint of finnish melancholy. Still very prog album, but very easy to approach. And their singer Markku Kuikka has very charismatic high note voice indeed! I really warmly recommend this to anyone here: check out! I just can't get enough of this! :)

By the way, little anecdote: Status Minor opened up for Seventh Wonder in their show at Jyväskylä's Pub Katse november 2010.

A complete surprise for me this year has been The Old Man and the Spirit by Beyond the Bridge. It is intelligent, melodic, complex, angry and achingly beautiful at times. It will be tough to knock it out of my top pick for 2012 spot.

Thanks a lot for mentioning Beyond The Bridge. Haven't listened more than one time though the album but I strongly believe this will be a favourite :)

Are people here aware that the new Circus Maximus album "Nine" is apparently scheduled for June 1st? Just because I always remember seeing some people that really liked them on this forum.

Since they seem to be so highly regarded I think I will make an effort to listen to their first two albums a bit so I can be familiar with them and get this album later in the year.

Are people here aware that the new Circus Maximus album "Nine" is apparently scheduled for June 1st? Just because I always remember seeing some people that really liked them on this forum.

Since they seem to be so highly regarded I think I will make an effort to listen to their first two albums a bit so I can be familiar with them and get this album later in the year.

will it be worth a 5 years wait?? i really doubt.....

Departure - Hitch a Ride (Escape Music)

American-based hard rock band with brand new album. Old style hard rock in spirit of Journey, Kansas, Whitesnake and Toto.
And most of all, on vocals: Andi Kravljaca! He's effort in Become-album wasn't that amazing, but oh boy can he sing old style hard rock? Hell yes!

I had high hopes that the new Dragonforce would be worth to purchase but unfortunately that's not the case. IMO, the songwriting isn't as good as before and only a few tunes grabbed my attention.

The new Axel Rudi Pell needs a few spins more to justify a verdict (although I'm not completely blown away by the first few spins).

The album that DID grab me was the first album by 'Unisonic'. Kiske and Hansen are back together and deliver a very, very good album!
This is the titletrack:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had high hopes that the new Dragonforce would be worth to purchase but unfortunately that's not the case. IMO, the songwriting isn't as good as before and only a few tunes grabbed my attention.

The album that DID grab me was the first album by 'Unisonic'. Kiske and Hansen are back together and deliver a very, very good album!

My thoughts exactly!