Experience with 1x12 cabs(Orange, EVH, or others)?

ArsMemoria

Apr 4, 2013
Buffalo Grove, IL
Edit: Fuck it, walked into Sam Ash and they had a barely used PPC112 for $300. Also realized I didn't like the G12H30 as much as I thought.

So, I put together my re-amp box kit today, and my in-laws just gave me $500 as a college graduation gift. I've been wanting a 1x12 cab for my Micro Terror for a while now, almost bought an Orange 1x12 today on impulse, but wanted to wait and get some opinions and hopefully A/B the two soon. I don't play live and this would be totally for at home practicing and re-amping. Just wanted to get some ideas here:

Orange PPC112 - Matches the amp, so that satisfies an ever-so-slight OCD complex of having to match. Also, V30 speaker, I don't have the greatest opinion of them, but admittedly my experience with them is mostly through using impulses and have always loved how they sounded in a room.

EVH 1x12 - I've tried the 2x12 with the G12H30 and LOVED that combo, granted it was with the 50 EVH head. The 1x12 comes with the same speaker as the 2x12, so I know what I'm getting there.

I'm intrigued by Avatar and a local company out here that builds a ported 1x12 for around $450 with a V30. But, if I choose to get rid of the cab in the future, there's already enough of a hit on resale value on 1x12 cabs as it is.

Last edited:
The dude I jam with has a Mesa Mini Recto 1x12 and that thing sounds killer with his Randall RD1H. Mesa V30's are voiced slightly fatter and darker than either the standard Chinese V30's found in Orange PPC112's or the British V30's found in bigger Orange cabs. Not better, mind you, but different indeed if you're not liking your PPC112. Although, quite honestly, I think the PPC112 is a good 1x12.

I have not tried the EVH 1x12 myself, but I have tried and compared the speaker inside it to other Celesitons. The Anniversary H30 in the EVH 1x12 is less mid-focused than V30's, fuller in the lows and brighter in the highs and has less headroom with some cool vintage breakup.

I used to own a Vox VT112NT or something like that which had a Greenback in it. The speaker itself was killer, but the cab was made like shit, and it had an open back, which I wouldn't recommend for tight chunkah chunkah.

The mini recto 1x12 was on my radar, but to be honest, I didn't want to spend the cash on it. That and we're living in a really cramped basement so even the Orange cab is a little overkill. I'm totally happy with the purchase in any case, just haven't had much time to really mess with it without blowing away my wife and mother-in-law's eardrums(father-in-law could care less hahaha).

For what it's worth, I was in a music shop the other day and played one of the new Mesa Mark 5 25w deals, and it was a 1x12 cab. I was impressed with how the cab sounded, but even with 3 different guitars, I didn't get to a point where I felt it would be great for really heavy stuff. Having said that, I wasn't as loud as I would have liked and I had no boost.

IMO, and I had limited time with it, I thought it could do the heavy stuff very well. I played through the same setup at a small shop a little while back, that would be an amazing little mini stack.

remember a 112 sounds less bassy in the room than a 412 or, depending on whether it´s set up vertically or not, even a 212. At least in most positions. 112 are perfectly fine for anything, except when they won´t be loud enough

remember a 112 sounds less bassy in the room than a 412 or, depending on whether it´s set up vertically or not, even a 212. At least in most positions. 112 are perfectly fine for anything, except when they won´t be loud enough
Not just less bassy, but also less open in the highs as well, and not just in the room, but under the mic as well. More boxy, so to speak.

Not to say it's completely unusable to record or play metal, but definitely less of a "wall of sound" sound than a 2 or 4x12.

I had an old Mesa 1x12 a while back....I forget what speaker was in it..... EVL or something (??) In which I found out were fairly well praised speakers. Let our other guitarist use it at a few band practices and he was trying to keep up with a 4x12 and blew the fucking thing up. And I mean BLEW it apart. Never seen a speaker do that before.

Anyway, it sounded less bassy and yeah, more open in the highs. It was a 3/4 openback though.

I've still got this little guy......thinking about selling it for cheap.....needs some TLC.

ezitkfsuuclhxopi0day.jpg

(not my actual cab, Google Image search)

One thing I noticed is that the response of this cab begins and ends where I would normally end up with my HPF and LPF, so it's like the work is already done for me there. lol I'm considering throwing a second mic on it, been wanting an e906 for the longest time, but Wilkinson Audio has that Fredman mic clip which is really tempting me. Though, with how boxy the cab can already be, I'm a bit wary of adding more of that mid-buildup. All in all, I'm having a shit-ton of fun with this cab. I've been re-amping anything and everything I can get my hands on just to explore different tones and sounds out of it and loving it.

Not just less bassy, but also less open in the highs as well, and not just in the room, but under the mic as well. More boxy, so to speak.

Not to say it's completely unusable to record or play metal, but definitely less of a "wall of sound" sound than a 2 or 4x12.
can´t agree here. I started out with a 412, later put one of the speakers into an entirely different 212, to run it in a 112 in the very end. Mic´d up, there were differences in bass response (naturally, as cab design and volume greatly influence the low-end), but the mid-to-high end was 99.5% the same. It´s still the same speaker

[...]lol I'm considering throwing a second mic on it, been wanting an e906 for the longest time, but Wilkinson Audio has that Fredman mic clip which is really tempting me. [...]
personally, I found that I don´t like an e906 in front of V30s at all. They still may work for you though

The one time I got to hear it was on an Avatar cab loaded with pair of V30 and GB in an X-pattern. I got to play on it through an Orange Rockerverb in class for a mic shootout and it was almost unanimous that this mic came out on top. Granted, this wasn't a full blown 1-1 shootout, we just stuck all sorts of microphones on one speaker for shits and giggles. Also, to this day, I'm not sure if we had a V30 or a Greenback under the microphones, I just know I fucking loved that mic. I think I'm going to stick with getting an SM57 and that Wilkinson clip. I can spend less cash on that and save up more for a better interface and maybe a decent mic pre or two.