Experimenting with Autotuned Guitar DI files?

Pash

Jan 1, 2011
Bournemouth UK
Hey guys!

I've heard a few mentions of autotuning guitar tracks. I just wondered if anyone had any recordings where they had done this succesfully? Im at work at the moment, just really curious, but the next song I write I think im going to experiment.

I guess you'd have to record each chord note seperately then bounce the autotuned file. (otherwise you'd end with a million single not guitar tracks...not cool, Plus your CPU would want to rape you)

Just trying to attain that "Perfect guitar sound". Very machinated but tight is better than sloppy... ;) If I could get a decent and quick workflow, I guess it'd be worth it. Im thinking Tune > Track (Single notes from chord) > Autotune > bounce (repeat) THEN Bounce to one guitar track then apply podfarm to the guitar track. Then repeat the whole process for the rest of the tracks. I guess it could be useful for doing all that MMI stuff, where its metalcore type single note and chug stuff.

Views guys? Anything to be gained from this, or is it just a longwinded waste of time. I've had the idea for a while now, just never tried it.

Be interested to see some of your opinions...and sarcastic comments ;)

Peace!

I do it on bass all the time and I autotuned (or actually I used variaudio, but anyway did pitch correcting) on the lead guitars in this song, you have to do it on the DI-track, you don't need to separately record each note:

Do note that it only works properly on single notes, not chords. Using the Melodyne DNA might work on chords tho, but I still highly doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do it on bass all the time and I autotuned (or actually I used variaudio, but anyway did pitch correcting) on the lead guitars in this song, you have to do it on the DI-track, you don't need to separately record each note:

Do note that it only works properly on single notes, not chords. Using the Melodyne DNA might work on chords tho, but I still highly doubt it.

for me DNA gets really REALLY phasy and all attack is completely lost.

Why would you have to even bother with autotuning guitars if you tune correctly and often, and you have a well set up and intonated guitar?
I can understand doing it on bass (though I personally never do it), but it just seems pointless if you have a decent guitar.

Why would you have to even bother with autotuning guitars if you tune correctly and often, and you have a well set up and intonated guitar?
I can understand doing it on bass (though I personally never do it), but it just seems pointless if you have a decent guitar.

^This. Just tune the guitar. Easiest way to get the same result.

Yeah thats a point. But im just experimenting with ideas at the moment trying to get the "perfect" guitar sound.

More perfect? Or more artificial?

Just tune your guitar. Autotune or melodyne on guitars (unless need for some sort of emergency) is really a waste of time.

No offense but those guitars still sound terribly out of tune. I agree with the posts about just tuning the guitar properly. I do usually autotune bass, however.

This is my way and I know a lot of other producers that are the same.
tune after every take. make sure the guitars are perfect from the source.
make sure bass is properly tracked and as close as you can get it, then tune it 100%.