extol

I haven't listened to Extol but I have a question for all of you who say that it doesn't mind the lyrics because you can't understand.

As a vocalist myself I admit that none in my band can understand a shit of what I'm singing, but the lyrics help me to put out all the energy inside of me. In order to take out this energy I write about things that I support and I believe in.

That's for me the meaning of the lyrics in a band.

Well, after that little introduction here it's my question.

Would you support Opeth, for example, if their lyrics were about Nazi shit? :mad:

Of course I would. Simply because I listen to a certain band doesn't mean I agree with him.

A Nazi Opeth is still much better than say, that shit band Absurd.

Uh, Christian Metal isn't actually all that bad as I have found that out the past few weeks. Death metal is mainly my choice of metal and if you can find the right bands the christian death metal is pretty dang good.

For those who aren't sure check out bands like Corpse, Crimson Thorn, Frank's Enemy. That's the brutal christian DM, and the only christian metal I listen to. I myself am a christian though I agree when many say it is just too preachy. Those 3 bands aren't, just some brutal DM. All have the monstrous growl which is my choice.

Some may like them some may not. I don't know, though being a christian doesn't stop you from listening to secular metal. Oh and yes Opeth is by far the greatest metal band out there, and I listen to thousands of bands.

-Steve

I would have quite a bit less respect for Opeth if they were Nazi's.....
Mikael's lyrics have a profound effect on me personally, so to change that would be to change a big part of the whole personal Opeth experience.

Christian metal just sounds so........I dunno, it has no edge....sure the musicianship is good (very occasionally) but it just seems like jumping on late to try to throw a message to a different crowd. I personally like my metal black as pitch with nothing of Jesus' filth in the stew....

It is pretty sad when people overlook a band with as much musical talent as Extol because they have christian lyrics. Wow, real musical integrity.

I guess some people don't like Peters vox but I think hes a very talented vocalist...he can go anywhere from high black metal shrieks to gutteral death growls to thrash yells (as seen in Ganglion, the thrash rock outfit)...

Lengsel is badass. Yes they are dead but Solace is such an extreme and technical black metal record...

Another cd/band to check out is Schaliach. Extol's main songwriter/guitarist/clean vocalist was in Schaliach and released one album under that name called "Sonrise" before he was in extol. He plays every instrument and the songs are absolutely incredible to say the least. It is like atmospheric symphonic melodic death/doom metal.

Originally posted by Sadistik
Christian metal just sounds so........I dunno, it has no edge....sure the musicianship is good (very occasionally) but it just seems like jumping on late to try to throw a message to a different crowd. I personally like my metal black as pitch with nothing of Jesus' filth in the stew....
Believe me, Extol definitely has that edge, I usually feel the same like you about christian bands, but Extol are different, really! Listen to them on mp3.com, go here: www.mp3.com/extol
Originally posted by Oyo
I would like Opeth a whole lot less if they were nazis or christians

Actually, I like some bands that are christians, but I couldn't help liking them less when I found out they were Christians

I don't want to like them less, it just happens
I agree completely, still I don't really have it with Extol. I wouldn't mind Opeth being christians, as long as they wouldn't sing "Jesus, Jesus, I love you and will suck your cock into eternity, halleluja!" all the time... :D

However, if Opeth were Nazi's I wouldn't have bothered to check them out in the first place. Since Nazi's have an IQ equal or less than their shoesize, a nazi Opeth would never have been smart enough to create the intelligent music they do now. :)