Ansur
Ne Obliviscaris
Xanthochroid
later Death
Atheist
Pestilence - Spheres
Dissonance
Vektor's latest

Doesn't have to have jazz elements but that's a plus. Basically any very progressive metal with harsh vocals that sounds good. By progressive I mean long songs with lots of changes in styles, riffs, and rhythms. Some oddball stuff is fun, like random bluegrass or violins or synths. Any kind of random creativeness like that, but with harsh vocals. Thanks.

You might know a few of these, but...

Algophobia (French band, not on YouTube)
Hieronymus Bosch
Illuminati
Thalidomide
Thormenthor
Vuvr
Wayd

Reactions: Baroque
Okay I vote HBB for #1 recommender on the boards. If he's autistic, he's the best kind of autistic. Those were all badass recommendations. Illuminati and Vuvr were my favorites. Also that Chryseis album is still kicking my ass.

Opeth would be an obvious rec; everyone has their preferred era, or hates them altogether.
Edge of Sanity's stuff might count. Crimson maybe?
Ved Buens Ende (?) Jazzy? Avant garde? Progressive?
Ihsahn (tho I've heard very little of his solo stuff, it seems to get that tag tossed around with it)
Enslaved
The Chasm
perhaps?
Liturgy (like em or not, they might be deserving of the tag)
Cynic
Gorguts
Cadaver
Coroner
Martyr
At the Gates
(first 2 albums maybe? Not prog really, but definitely in a world of their own, and so much more than just DM)
Lykathea Aflame
Mithras
Timeghoul
Arcane Sun
Bolzer

A bunch of these are probably way off, but prog itself is hard to define, and one prog metal band sounds way different than the next anyhow. Arcane Sun is definitely not prog, but there's nothing else like it. Anyhow, if you aren't already familiar with all of these I hope you enjoy at least a couple.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baroque