Eyal Levi - Advanced Drum Production (streaming ATM)

caught some of this yesterday and while it was basic stuff, it's still cool to hear professional opinions on certain things. i'm doing live sound all weekend so i'm just catching bits and pieces on my ipad when i can.

for those wondering day 1 was mostly just reenforcing the idea that all the little details add up, so they spent literally the whole session checking and retuning drums and moving mics etc...

Now he's going over Superior Drummer. He basically said that unless you have a shit ton of time and money and an awesome drummer, just fuck it and use Superior.

Seems to be the hot option these days.

Didn't see much of it and none of Sean (maybe he wasnt there today? I heard they're doing three or four 8 hour days), but from the 'trailer' it looks like Sean's been upping his pancake intake after that surgery he had recently. :lol:

I liked the andrew wade one and eyal´s ezdrummer one but im
really disappointed with this one :S

The first day they practically ignored 95% of the questions on the chat
I feel that in this creativelive courses they explain too slow...they could explain so much more stuff in that time (7 hours)
In the days before the course they asked people on facebook and other sites what they would like to see explained...
a LOT of people asked for drum tunings (NOT DRUM TUNING) but choosing a good drum tuning for the recording...
guess what they didnt do?...TUNE A FUCKING DRUM...srsly?...you spent hours talking about the importance of tuning and changing heads and you wont fucking
take a tom or snare and tune it?

The second day (superior drummer) can be summarize in one phrase .." if you want to know about that, buy my previous course with ez drummer "

lets see how this goes today...

I really not see myself buying this course but im kinda interested on the bonus videos on drum editing
but 149$???
...no way in hell....

I'd rather have real drums... This POD/SD2.0 thing doesn't give anyone original approaches for anything. Okay cool so they're routing things to separate channels- that's what it's made for. I guess I don't understand how they are marketing this at that price point. You're either a drag and drop preset guy that doesn't take time to figure it out, or you do look into the features provided and then it still sounds like superior and podfarm or slate and crappy axefx tones- just more coherent.

I'd be more interested in seeing the approach to recording acoustic instruments at home. Build technique and see what kind of not-so traditional approaches one might be able to take to get good results. But I know that information is already out there to whoever wants to do the research. idk.

It's a nice initative, for sure, but that's about it. If I read the title "Advanced Drum Production", I'm kinda expecting the starting level of the course to be atleast on "seasoned amateur" and not "start n00b". Anyway, after the first evening I stopped watching, thought I'd try to watch the 3rd day again, since the rebroadcast didn't work, I stopped and went to bed.

If you can't track a real drummer, may as well use something that sounds good!

So advanced drum production is replacing a bad kit with superior, that's what the guys at the top are doing?

Surely advanced drum production, at the most would start with editing live drums, phase, beat detective, manual slip, then onto mixing them?

Then maybe the sampling section would talk more about taking samples from the kit,

at the very least, maybe augmenting some slate, evil drums, various other kinda big names known for sample replacement.

Every one of these shows has just pushed toontrack above all else, nothing 'advanced' here to learn, and some suckers are wasting 150 on this.

So advanced drum production is replacing a bad kit with superior, that's what the guys at the top are doing?

Surely advanced drum production, at the most would start with editing live drums, phase, beat detective, manual slip, then onto mixing them?

Then maybe the sampling section would talk more about taking samples from the kit,

at the very least, maybe augmenting some slate, evil drums, various other kinda big names known for sample replacement.

Every one of these shows has just pushed toontrack above all else, nothing 'advanced' here to learn, and some suckers are wasting 150 on this.

No, use superior when the drummer is terrible. Or a drummer isn't available.

I've only catched the first day, they went over phase quite a lot there, as well as set up, tuning, prep, taking samples, where to use samples.

Dunno what went on the other 2 says tho. Only catched the beginning of day 2 and they talked about sd2 there.

But yeah, 150usd (200 is the regular price) would be too steep for me.
Really nice to see he's giving that much attention to the details and the whole picture at the same time. For me that's what separates the pros from the other guys.

The only new thing I learned while watching day one, was that the lug nearest to the drummer/where the drummer hits is usually the one that detunes first. Never noticed that before haha

I've only catched the first day, they went over phase quite a lot there, as well as set up, tuning, prep, taking samples, where to use samples.

Dunno what went on the other 2 says tho. Only catched the beginning of day 2 and they talked about sd2 there.

But yeah, 150usd (200 is the regular price) would be too steep for me.
Really nice to see he's giving that much attention to the details and the whole picture at the same time. For me that's what separates the pros from the other guys.

The only new thing I learned while watching day one, was that the lug nearest to the drummer/where the drummer hits is usually the one that detunes first. Never noticed that before haha

haha they did, I said some sucker as that was indeed me, waste of money, I like the flow of the show but the content doesn't match up, I didn't learn anything that youtube couldn't tell me already :(

I essentially got out of it, its all well and good having a great kit, preparing samples, gain staging it, tuning and checking phase when tracking but very very little went into mixing, the actual heavy lifting side of the production rather than engineering, and at the end it was basically if your kit sucks use superior, see my class from a few months back :yell:

Hey guys,
I have a question cause I wasn´t able to see the whole stream.
Eyal mentioned that he uses/triggers the room/ambience channels from superrior drummer.
Does anybody know how he triggers or send the real audiofiles to superrior rooms.
Or did he print a midi-file e.g. from a snare send this to superrior snarechannel, put the snarefader to 0 to hear only the room channels triggerd by an snare from a library?

I'd rather have real drums... This POD/SD2.0 thing doesn't give anyone original approaches for anything. Okay cool so they're routing things to separate channels- that's what it's made for. I guess I don't understand how they are marketing this at that price point. You're either a drag and drop preset guy that doesn't take time to figure it out, or you do look into the features provided and then it still sounds like superior and podfarm or slate and crappy axefx tones- just more coherent.

I think this is a fairly closed minded way of looking at it. I understand that a lot of bands right now are being lazy about finding their individuality, but it's the laziness that's causing that, not the technology. If people would take the time to work on things, rather than using presets and the same settings, then even if everyone was using Superior Drummer, it wouldn't have to sound the same. And there's also absolutely nothing that has to be "crappy" about Axe FX tones if we remove the fact that there's a shit ton of bands right now that are all trying to ape the exact same tones.

So, I think it's kind of useless to point to the technology as the problem.

FWIW, the Sam Pura one went over a lot of drum stuff too. I think the issue with the creative live stuff is that b/c it's live you gain interaction but lose some of the time efficiency of a good edited video. No doubt they do it live to keep production costs down (and have live questions) but I think they'd benefit from more prepared/edited pieces interspersed in the live class. For example when Sam did his drum class you had to sit through him phase checking every single sample trigger vs the recorded drum. He's insanely fast in PT but no one needed to see all of that.