Face Off 4: Opeth vs. Meshuggah

Who's more important?

• Total voters
Yeah, when St. Anger came out I remember an interview where they said Meshuggah had a big impact on the record. Honestly I haven't heard the record, but it was probably just talk.

thats cool, i didnt know that, st anger is easily the worst album though, and im not talking metallica albums, it actually just is the worst album

great thread, opeth for me, ive loved them for a long time now, there are very few bands i would choose over them

Meshuggah is more influential but a lot of their music annoys the fuck out of me, whereas Opeth are a top 5 band for me so...duh. :)

Also, it seems you're just trying to hit big names at the cost of the two bands having hardly any relevance to each other. As much as a lot of people won't give a shit, polls along the lines of Immolation vs. Incantation (or say, that Rapture vs. BMD poll would've been good due to some similarities had it not been known for years that BMD has a massive fanbase).

No matter what bands you do it always comes down to a popularity contest regardless. There are relevances outside musical traits that I find just as interesting. Not to mention, I'm also limited by the demographic. I'd personally like to see bands like Mr. Bungle vs. The Red Hot Chile Peppers go head to head or other interesting ones, but no one here would want to participate in those. I notice you like to bitch from the sidelines. Instead feel free to step up, and make the next one yourself.

I voted Opeth. I see them cited as an influence/favorite just as often as Meshuggah (and often by the same bands). I also think they're more influential in bringing fans in - they're kind of a gateway band. I know a lot of people who made their way into more extreme metal after getting into Opeth, but I don't know anybody who got into extreme metal through Meshuggah. You kinda have to already be there to listen to them.

I voted Opeth. I see them cited as an influence/favorite just as often as Meshuggah (and often by the same bands). I also think they're more influential in bringing fans in - they're kind of a gateway band. I know a lot of people who made their way into more extreme metal after getting into Opeth, but I don't know anybody who got into extreme metal through Meshuggah. You kinda have to already be there to listen to them.

thats a double edged sword, they are also a gateway for metalers to get into softer progressive rock

tough call, I voted Meshuggah eventually.
both are great band, voted Meshuggah most likely personal preference.

both band are very innovative in their own area and made vast influences to many bands today, some bands obviously has influence from Meshuggah like, today's Katatonia, Tool, Opeth, Gojira, Mastodon and many more.

I liked Meshuggah main because they always come with really interesting ideas on grooves, rhythms.
Meshuggah never an easy listening band but if you spend time to study their creation, they can always inspire you