Face Off 9: Paradise Lost VS My Dying Bride

Paradise Lost Vs My Dying Bride

• Paradise Lost

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • My Dying Bride

Votes: 35 62.5%

• Total voters
I went with MDB even though I'm not a fan of either. From what I've heard of MDB though, I like them better.

MDB. Although their recent records are nothing great, they did Turn Loose The Swans, a nearly flawless record, along with many other excellent releases in the 90's. Tough to pick though as Paradise Lost may be the better band at this time. Paradise Lost had the better leads, but MDB had that haunting violin for a while which was just as good.

It was very hard to pick one. But I guess I had too many memories with MDB to pick PL. I had to say MDB is a diverse band and they have their ups and downs in their carreers. But I can never forget albums such as The Angel and The Dark River, The Light at The End of The World and especially The Dreadful Hours. Paradise Lost on the other hand has some solid records but lacks the emotion that MDB has.

Edit: I don't care so much about the last three albums of MDB but they have also a couple of good songs which from time to time I listen to...

I went with PL part way because they are the reason i started listening to Doom/Gothic Metal. PL really grew on me and got me out of that awful Nu Metal shit and it made me search for more bands like em. MDB is awesome as well and i knew that this would be a great debate since both bands have there ups and downs. PL seems to be doing good with Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us album and it has been on repeat for quite some time on my PC.

Paradise Lost no doubt.
My Dying Bride only had a few good tracks imo, like For My Fallen Angel and For You, but The Cry of Mankind is really outstanding.

My Dying Bride, definitely. I love everything they've ever done, from their 1st demo up to their latest album. Paradise Lost, on the other hand, is sort of hit-or-miss for me. They have released some truly fantastic albums over the years, but some dull ones too. I also never really enjoyed their early stuff and only started liking them at Icon.

MDB latest are not all bad, Songs of Darkness, Words of Light gives me the shivers

Last edited by a moderator:
I did vote for MDB, but based on their material from the 90's. MDB has had the exact same problem with the last 5 records they have put out: 2-4 great songs and a bunch of average/bad/totally boring songs to fill out the album (for example, the first 2 tracks on The Dreadful Hours are amazing, and none of the remaining 6 tracks comes anywhere close, although a few more are still good. The 3rd track is a pitiful rip off of The Cry For Mankind for god's sakes)! I have always felt that they were never the same after losing one of their original guitarists and the violinist/keyboard player, both wrote much of the music. I still follow them but their inability to release great records anymore is starting to get old.

Listening to Arcane Rain Fell by Draconian right now, and it is a perfect example of an album that is not so maddeningly inconsistent like MDB has been for about 12 years!

MDB has had the exact same problem with the last 5 records they have put out: 2-4 great songs and a bunch of average/bad/totally boring songs to fill out the album (for example, the first 2 tracks on The Dreadful Hours are amazing, and none of the remaining 6 tracks comes anywhere close, although a few more are still good.
I agree indeed.

I have been a Paradise Lost fan since Gothic/Shades of God, stopped following them after One Second then got interested again with the great In Requiem album. The last album is really good as well.

I have always followed MDB ever since As the Flower..., but never became a huge fan, not one of their albums could capture me all the way through. Exactly what season1234 said, especially on Dreadful Hours, Songs of Darkness and to a lesser extent The Light... the first 2 songs are great and after that the album fails to hold my attention. The last 2 of their albums I didn't get into at all.

Hence, my vote went to PL.

Went with My Dying Bride, just more of a personal choice. I think they both have great music, both have loads of talent, but i listen to My Dying Bride more.