Face Off 9: Paradise Lost VS My Dying Bride

Paradise Lost Vs My Dying Bride

• Paradise Lost

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • My Dying Bride

Votes: 35 62.5%

• Total voters
^:lol: dio may have just died but i still think ozzy would win

i mean cmon, masters of reality....i cant think of anything dio has done that could touch that album, let alone the other great BS albums

now if it were just outside of black sabbath, that might be a bit of a competition :lol:

MDB, I like PL as well but they are fucking shit live, no emotion, nothing. Like Gods of the Sun is one of my favourite albums.

I somewhat agree, wouldn't say 'absolute shit', but they're not the greatest live band, but it's mainly Nick to blame for that, he gives the impression that playing live is not exactly his most favoured passtime..

Indeed there new DVD was good but thats as close as ive got to seeing them live. The guy that smiles all the time does alot of headbanging but thats it. I dunno Nick musta got bored with going to every arena doing the same songs everynight.

I somewhat agree, wouldn't say 'absolute shit', but they're not the greatest live band, but it's mainly Nick to blame for that, he gives the impression that playing live is not exactly his most favoured passtime..

You must mean Aaron (the bald guy), he always gives his best, cool guy.

Yes Aaron he seems more friendly to the fans i see more people taking pics with him than i do Nick. I dunno why PL has not toured the US yet. :(.

They haven't toured the US since fall 2007.

I remember that they came to the US once and did not get a good reception. I also remember one of the band members saying that they dont go where they are not wanted. I just wish people would open there damn minds to newer music, all they play around here is a bunch of Nu Metal crap like Taproot Disturbed Slipknot. With the added edition of cookie cutter bands like Nickelback Hinder Papa Roach. You get the picture here. It would look like im going to get passports if i plan on seeing PL live along with Katatonia. Just let me remind myself not to sleep in a Hostel.

I know they played a headlining show in CT in the bar stage of the Webster (which Katatonia played a few months prior), while that same night Shadows Fall was playing the mainstage. lololol

I wanted to go but that was right after I got my dui so I had no way of going

^:lol: dio may have just died but i still think ozzy would win

i mean cmon, masters of reality....i cant think of anything dio has done that could touch that album, let alone the other great BS albums

now if it were just outside of black sabbath, that might be a bit of a competition :lol:

I think even before dio died this debate was still heated. I think Dio would have won months ago if there was a head to head against Ozzy. If people vote for Dio just because he died, then they really shouldn't vote at all.

Ozzy-era Black Sabbath albums to me, besides the stinkers 'Technical Ecstasy' and 'Never Say Die!', had great songs, but some not so great songs...whereas the 4 Dio-era albums(I'm including 'The Devil You Know') are very solid, all the way through records. Plus Dio's voice is much better than Ozzy's.

Ozzy-era Black Sabbath albums to me, besides the stinkers 'Technical Ecstasy' and 'Never Say Die!', had great songs, but some not so great songs...whereas the 4 Dio-era albums(I'm including 'The Devil You Know') are very solid, all the way through records. Plus Dio's voice is much better than Ozzy's.

Indeed, "The Devil you Know" was a great album. Also, the "Heaven and Hell" Album was such an amazing album when you look at Neon Knights, Heaven and hell, and Children of the Sea are all classics. Also I think Dio had a better solo career then Ozzy.

And yes Dio by far is a greater singer then Ozzy.

Paradise Lost.

I've never been a huge MDB fan, though I like a lot a couple of their old records and like to see them live.
But Paradise Lost's GOTHIC is a record that in a way introduced me to similar stuff, such as AnathemA, Phlebotomized, The GatherinG, Novembre, Katatonia too.

This is odd. The PL concerts I've been to have been really great. It's a positive negative energy of some sort and it has been powerful...BUT, you might be on to something still, cause the last concert I saw with them was very forgettable.

I first thought it was because I just didn't like the last 2 albums, but maybe Nick has lost his happy face again.
I remember (again) about 10 years ago in Oslo, Nick told everyone to lighten up and liven up. He took hold of the crowd and made the crowd loosen up and have fun.

He didn't say much the last time...almost nothing at all.

I vote for PL still though, even if I love both bands.
I currently listen way to more to MDB these days, but again I didn't like their last album. Most of the albums before that where good. MDB have fucking brilliant songs now and then, but the songwriting goes from brilliant to dear god..stop a bit too often. PL also do that though. I think PL has made more good music than MDB, but not AS good when you compare the best songs. Even so, PL at least used to be varied..MDB have had their moments..god..this is hard, but I just feel PL wins for some strange reason.

I dislike the fact that the violin is back in MDB even if they bring better use of it than feared. It just makes the music too predictable..even I think they've actually thought of that this time..it still just didn't work well. Violin has been done to death..find new instruments...anything but a violin! A friggin harmonica would be better..

After looking over what i've just mind rabbled down..I'm not very fond of the current state of PL or MDB.
I hope they will shape up again. MDB might be better than PL right now..since they haven't made 2 mediocre albums in a row that I don't listen to..just one. PL has to come first, but only by one inch..

Only Katatonia still manages to sound fresh in this genre.

mdb started becoming predictable since the dreadful hours imo.
the light at the end of the world was a nice touch as a revisit to the old days, but on the dreadful hours the stuff became too safe. the album had 2-3 great tracks (the self-titled one plus the hope the destroyer)
the albums that followed weren't too interesting to me.

on the other hand, i love 34.788%...complete because it was such a brave record to do. those were the great times - the gathering also experimented with how to measure a planet?, katatonia reinvented themselves with discouraged ones, anathema did alternative 4... moonspell did a great stuff with sin/pecado too.

paradise lost were very important for influencing all the above-mentioned bands, but i never liked their albums as a whole - they seemed to have great songs but never could pull off a great full-length imo. i loved one second for the experimentation/evolution too.

mdb started becoming predictable since the dreadful hours imo.
the light at the end of the world was a nice touch as a revisit to the old days, but on the dreadful hours the stuff became too safe. the album had 2-3 great tracks (the self-titled one plus the hope the destroyer)
the albums that followed weren't too interesting to me.

on the other hand, i love 34.788%...complete because it was such a brave record to do. those were the great times - the gathering also experimented with how to measure a planet?, katatonia reinvented themselves with discouraged ones, anathema did alternative 4... moonspell did a great stuff with sin/pecado too.

paradise lost were very important for influencing all the above-mentioned bands, but i never liked their albums as a whole - they seemed to have great songs but never could pull off a great full-length imo. i loved one second for the experimentation/evolution too.

I liked The Dreadful Hours when it came out, but don't like the production very well now. I did like that it was less predictable than many of their previous efforts. I hated The Light At The End Of The World because the songs often just went on and on without anything new adding to them as they progressed. Simply my least fav album by them...but of course, I probably can understand why some love it. Just became too much of the old revisited. Songs Of Darkness, Words Of Light is their best in my opinion..even if it does have it flaws too, but production, songwriting, growling etc..everything worked better here I feel. On A Line Of Deathless kings, I first disliked the album, but recently I really love some of the tracks...and think some of their best songs is on this album. But as always they manage to make some songs that just craps on the rest of the album. Love the production here and the heavyness...and songwriting. Songs like "I cannot be loved" and "And I walk with them" are just perfect MDB songs I feel. All in all I feel every MDB album has a lot to offer, but they always make a heap of songs that are just terrible too. Both Paradise Lost and MDB are like that in my opinion.

I fully agree with you on the experimental periods of all bands. They should go back to being a bit bold again..not digging too much into past history...just use it as a spice..not a focus is my thought.

Katatonia is to me the perfect blend of all these bands.
I used to miss the good old days with PL and MDB, but I've found out that I really don't anymore.

pl is dead to me since draconian times which came out in 95. means in one a half decade they only released embarassing trash. mdb all the way in this vote for me. the las mdb album i liked was a line of deadless kings in 2006