axemaiden

makes you eat dead things
Aug 21, 2007
grendel's mothers cave
Faceshift - Reconcile
Black Lodge - BLOD 058CD - 2007
By Axemaiden

Reconcile.jpg

Intelligent lyrics, articulate and passionate vocals, melodious and melancholically 'gothic' sound effects fused with tight and heavy guitar and drum riffs. These were pretty much my initial impressions of the debut album Reconcile from Swedish band Faceshift when I dutifully listened to it the first time. Being a somewhat 'picky' album reviewer, I often possess the irritating quality of rarely being impressed with an album the very first time that I lay (in an aural sense) my sweet ears upon it, so, I was quite pleasantly surprised then, when I found myself emitting random musical noises in an attempt to sing along to a track I did not yet know the lyrics to.

Although there was nothing radically new and different regarding their vocal and playing technique (which I do actively look for when listening to new bands), there was a quality about them which lulled me into a relaxed and somewhat musical zen. Either that or subliminal messaging had been artfully added to their tracks in order to induce a sense of glassy-eyed calm when listening to the album. No matter though, I am certainly not saying that I have reached the stage of absolute band-worship with Faceshift as of yet, but, I did really like them. Imagine a somewhat strange crossbreed of Mike Patton-esque vocals mixed with melodic yet heavy metal backing music and you are reaching a reasonable impression of the creative talent of Faceshift.

Official Faceshift Website
Official Faceshift Myspace
Official Black Lodge Website