Fastest way to get a recorded guitar into guitar pro?

Flow Of Time

Oct 6, 2012
Hey guys,
I'm writing songs together with a drummer for a new project at the moment.
He writes his ideas in guitar pro, I complete them, change the things I don't like and record a full song.
Now I have to bring this finished song back into guitar pro.
Is there an easier way of doing that (especially with guitars) than programming by hand?

I thought ReaTune or something similar could work...

ReaTune can convert notes to midi but it's not very accurate. But I assume it could get you in the ballpark. I don't think it handles chords so well, if at all....clean, single-note stuff, from what I've gotten out of it.

MIDI guitar? That's the only other thing I can think of.

I don't know how good you are at Guitar Pro, but if you learn the proper shortcuts you can have stuff written down quite fast.

pianoroll with spectrograph overlay could be very helpful for this... although I don't know any... on the other hand it is hard to pinpoint fundamental tones in chords sometimes, cos they usually overlay with overtones

Reatune generates midi, but single notes only. Good for midi bass lines. With percussion I'm sure you can convert to midi with dynamic split, but I've never done it. Bryan might be more knowledgeable on this one.

Yeah, the way I convert drums to midi is in Reaper with the "Dynamic Split" function. Still need to go back in and manually fix things though after doing this as it never works perfect.

It's true that melodyne can do a audio to midi conversion well, but you need to edit the midis that it produces to a certain extend. Because for Guitar Pro everything has to be exactly on the grid, because you don't want an assload of 64th rests to appear in your Tabfile. Sad thing is, this procedure take longer than typing in the numbers by hand.

Thanks for all the help!
I figured a pretty simple, and probably the only really reliable way:
I'll sit to gether with the drummer and dictate him the numbers, he'll type them in^^
I suck pretty hard at guitar pro and it would take me hours and hours...

On guitar pro 5 with a PC keyboard I could write a complicated song very very fast, it's all down to knowing the shortcuts for the different types of insertions/copy-cut-paste/markers etc. You will not be as fast by using any other means as far as I know. If your song has a structure (which means you can copy paste parts) then it can be written in a matter of minutes.

A quick tip : even if your bassist has 4 strings, make it 6 strings into guitar pro. So that you can copy the guitar part from the guitar track to the bass track and modify it instead of starting from scratch. Unless if the bassist has a very different part, it saves time.

It's true that melodyne can do a audio to midi conversion well, but you need to edit the midis that it produces to a certain extend. Because for Guitar Pro everything has to be exactly on the grid, because you don't want an assload of 64th rests to appear in your Tabfile. Sad thing is, this procedure take longer than typing in the numbers by hand.

+1 to all of this. In any case, guitar pro will never guess where you play the notes on the fretboard and will make them the closest possible to the bottom of the fretboard (i.e. it won't guess you are using the 7th fret but will use the 2nd fret on the higher string), so you will have eventually to edit the midi. You might just as well write on a keyboard. Plus, I'm betting the midi recognition will not be able to transcribe properly a whole track without doing mistakes. Unless it's edited to the perfection, all notes are pretty clean. Also, there will be no midi event other than notes, so guitar pro will not include slides (S shortcut), legatos (L shortcut), palm mute, etc.

A very important note : don't even try on a laptop, use a full keyboard with the num pad on the right, even if you need to borrow one and plug it on a laptop. Not even a laptop with a numpad, the guitar pro mapping is designed for full keyboards. On my apple MBP it's a nightmare, but I just realized on an apple keyboard the GP6 mac version might actually be usable and I bought a keyboard just for that, to see if this is true ! Basically you fly with the numpad writing numbers, left hand on the letters for shortcuts + of course the arrows to navigate while the right hand is writing notes, and a few extra keys or combinations for the project shortcuts (adding tracks, adding measures, pasting on top or pasting by insertion, etc etc)

A quick tip : even if your bassist has 4 strings, make it 6 strings into guitar pro. So that you can copy the guitar part from the guitar track to the bass track and modify it instead of starting from scratch. Unless if the bassist has a very different part, it saves time.

How did I never think of that... thanks man! :D

Midi import with Guitar Pro is VERY fucking sketchy. Even if Melodyne spits out good data, Guitar Pro will munge the fuck out of it. Just write it by hand man, gonna be quicker.

Midi import with Guitar Pro is VERY fucking sketchy. Even if Melodyne spits out good data, Guitar Pro will munge the fuck out of it. Just write it by hand man, gonna be quicker.

This. Guitar pro pretty much rapes any midi you put into it as far as it giving you accurate results.