FastTrack Pro for dry guitar recordings (-> reamping?)

Calippo Tecks

Feb 6, 2005
Belgium
Hi,
I recently bought the FastTrack Pro and I want to buy some reamping gear but I was wondering if I just plug my guitar into this USB interface and record those tracks in my DAW, are they good for reamping? For example if I buy the radial engineering X-amp tool then I should be able to reamp those dry recordings?
I was also wondering is it healthy for your amps to use one of the trs outputs of the FastTrack Pro so I can hear what I'm playing. (which is a must ofcourse...) I gave it a try and I noticed no problems (no noise or anything) it sounded as straight plugged into my amp, but since I don't know much about gear in general I was wondering because I don't want to damage my guitar amplifiers ofcourse!

Thanks for your help.

Technically you should have a reamp box between the TRS output and your amp but I don't know if it'll actually damage anything. But the whole reason reamp boxes exist is to convert line level outputs like your TRS outs into an instrument level signal. By monitoring out of your interface like that you are essentially reamping the signal anyways...

Ok thanks, so probably a reamp box should do the trick, so I don't need to buy a signal splitter(directbox) to record the dry guitars and hear it through my amp. I guess my fasttrack'll do the same as you say it's just monitoring the signal right away to my amp.
I am currently searching for a place to buy the redeye but I guess I only need a reamp box then, I read the whole reamping guide in here and I see some discussions about active and passive DI's but I wonder about the specs of an USB interface vs DI's? For example I read about the 'Type 85' vs 'j48', what about my USB interface then (or any other in general). All my guitars have passive pickups in case you were wondering.
For me personally I think it's kinda stupid to buy the X-amp when it's maybe better to search for the redeye and have a nice reamp/directbox in one.
Correct me if I'm wrong on anything, I'm kinda new to recording anyway but really wanna learn alot about it instead of always just playing guitar :headbang:
Greetings

Yeah I have the Redeye, just because it was easier than buying a separate DI and reamp box. I think the whole input impedence thing on the DI boxes is blown WAY out of proportion, that is the absolute smallest factor in any possible change in tone I've ever heard of. Just get a Redeye and don't worry about it.