Fates warning

The Navigator said:
I would place the first three as decent 80s thrash, and the rest, for the most part, as some of the greatest music ever written.:)

Not really thrash actually but a very big influence on prog metal (well, the last one had, not the first two). Some really great power metal right there. The rest of their albums just sound somewhat directionless.

I think that the direction of Fates Warning was very clear. Jim Matheos had all this melodies, riffs and ideas in his mind , but he expressed them in a special unique way each time. He had a clear direction each time he recorded something he produced exactly what he wanted to have in his album

IOfTheStorm said:
I think that the direction of Fates Warning was very clear. Jim Matheos had all this melodies, riffs and ideas in his mind , but he expressed them in a special unique way each time. He had a clear direction each time he recorded something he produced exactly what he wanted to have in his album

That truely says it all every album is a Masterpeice
:headbang:

Fates Warning are great. My god, No Exit...what an album! "Ivory Gate Of Dreams"...one of the best epics ever! And Awaken The Guardian is awesome too. I could listen to "The Sorceress" a million times!

Hmmmm, I must admit I only really got into the John Arch era. But that doesn't mean anything--I just didn't take the time to listen to them afterwards.

I have the first 4 discs in 2 double-CD packages. Awaken the Guardian has some of the more passionate prog/power from the '80s. Fata Morgana haunts me every time I hear it; Guardian is one of the most soulful, heart-felt metal ballads of all time.

Now I'm mad at myself for forgetting to mention Guardian on that "best ballad" thread :)

--S

St. Vitus said:
Anyone picked up the remasters (I think thus far it's only Night on Brocken and Spectre Within)? How do they sound?

They sound Great I have Both of them The bonus tracks are ok they are just demos with primitive sound But hell I love that anyway

From the site for Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles magazine (www.bravewords.com):

Former FATES WARNING frontman JOHN ARCH has inked a solo deal with Metal Blade. His forthcoming EP, A Twist Of Fate, will run about 25 minutes and will feature Arch on vocals, Jim Matheos on guitar, Joey Vera on bass and Mike Portnoy on drums. Arch comments on the project: "I think the music has a good feel to it. There are a lot of elements of the old Fates present but it doesn't sound retro 80's thanks in part to the newer recording technology but also the combined influences of Jim, Mike and Joey. The fans who take the time to read through the lyrics should find them challenging but yet brutally honest at times. The lyrics are somewhat personal but I have a feeling everyone can relate at some level. I hope fans new and old will like it. The guys are now completing the final recordings and when it is expect nothing short of sheer genius from these master musicians!"

The 4 first Fates discs are classics in my opinon, even if Night on Brocken isn't as great as the others.
"Ivory Gates of Dream" is a song noone else than Jim Matheos could have written... totally unique!

Their DVD should be available this month...

Fates Warning is my favorite band. My favorite stuff was the classic stuff with John Arch, so I'm really looking forward to A Twist of Fate when that comes out.
I don't know if John Arch became a police officer for a while when he left Fates, but I read an interview with him a few years ago where he said he was running an office furniture company.
BTW - The release date for the new FW DVD has been pushed back to April 9th last time I checked.