FAV.S in 06'

muzmaze

pyramontyrsuidvan
Mar 28, 2006
N.H., USA
How bout fav.new release or purchased in 06'?

My top 3;
1.PYRAMAZE "Bone Carver"
2.HYBRIA "Defying the Rules"
3.OUTWORLD "Self titled"

Cheers-Muz

Well, I literally got a ton of new music this past year due to my being on the mailing lists of multiple labels, so I have done my best to narrow it down:

Best Albums of 2007

1. Pyramaze - Legend of the Bone Carver (this is also tied for my favorite album of all time with Iced Earth's Alive in Athens 3 disc set)

1. Bloodbound - Nosferatu (tied for number 1 of the year - I got the European version that came out in the beginning of 2006 for those of you who like to be picky)

1. Winters Bane - Redivivus (also tied for 1st place on my list, this album is fucking mindblowing. If you haven't heard the new material from Winters Bane I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend checking them out:
www.wintersbane.net/red/seal.mp3
www.wintersbane.net/red/burning.mp3
www.wintersbane.net/red/dead.mp3
www.wintersbane.net/forum/world.mp3
)

2. Outworld - Outworld
3. Beyond Fear - Beyond Fear
4. Insomnium - Above the Weeping World
5. Warmachine - The Beginning of the End
6. Beyond Twilight - For the Art of Love and the Making
7. Dark Empire - Distant Tides
8. Firewind - Allegiance
9. Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life And Death
10. Fate - V

Honorable Mentions:

Cloudscape - Crimson Skies
Satyricon - Now, Diabolical

Best DVD Albums

Iced Earth - Alive in Athens (Although there were major issues with the audio on the first run of pressings [Century Media issued corrected copies to people who got a fucked up copy] this is a MUST for die hard fans, and fans of the Barlow-era)

Sentenced - Buried Alive
Children of Bodom - Chaos Ridden Years: Stockholm Knockout Live
Arch Enemy - Live Apocalypse

Worst Albums of 2006

1. Black Label Society - Shot to Hell (Now I love Zakk to death, but with this release it made me stop and ask the question "What was he thinking?" Every album from Stronger Than Death onwards has been amazing, but this one was a real let down for me)

2. Evergrey - Monday Morning Apocalypse (Like I stated above, I love the boys in Evergrey, and have spent time hanging out with them when they come to Toronto, but no matter how many times I listen to this album, it really lets me down. To me, a person who takes pride on know virtually everything there is to know about the bands I like and just really knowing the industry in general, this album has "Written for North American mainstream market" written all over it. Kind of a sell out for the die-hard fans.)

Predictions for 2007:

Iced Earth - Something Wicked This Way Comes 2 - I'm really looking forward to 2 new LP albums over 4 discs and 5 hours of music and one EP single from Iced Earth to continue the Something Wicked storyline including a re-recording of the original Something Wicked Trilogy with Ripper on vocals and slightly re-written to be heavier and more aggressive. I CANT WAIT FOR THIS !!!

Balance of Power - ever since Lance King joined them, they have yet to put out anything even close to remotely poor, so their new album should be fantastic. Really anxious to see who their new vocalist is since John K. left them.

Evergrey - lets see if they can rebound from the sell-out of an album Monday Morning Apocalypse and return to the sound and style that the fans like and want.

Bloodbound - I cant recall the last time I found a band whose debut album I enjoyed as much as Bloodbound's Nosferatu (and Pyramaze's Melancholy Beast)

Lou St. Paul - For those of you who don't know, Lou is the founder, songwriter, music writer and rhythm/lead guitarist of Winters Bane. He'll be going into the studio in the spring to record Heart of a Killer 2, which will be released 14 years after the original HoaK album was released with a still unknown, undiscovered Tim "Ripper" Owens on vocals. After that Lou will be going into studio with his other band, Kill Procedure to record their second album, and first album in over 10 years. Lou's "Mega-Band" project Mourning Scar will be released in March as well featuring a star-studded lineup from the metal community.

And lastly, Pyramaze - after the departure of Lance King, it'll be interesting to see who and what Michael Kammeyer pulls out of his hat to replace Lance and follow up the immensely successful Legend of the Bone Carver album.

Well, thats my list. Lets hear your thoughts!

No HIBRIA on your list? Thier debut is flat out killer from beg. to end! I gave "Bone Carver" the edge only because i prefer thier epic/power style.HIBRIA is more classic style metal-( kinda sounds like Maidens S.I.T.) yet it has a new inspired metal sound to it.

Outworld- was a nice surprise to finish up the year in metal, amazing guitar & drums in that band! The new singer is in the fold & working on the next cd supposably?

Worst in 06' for me was QUEENSRYCHE "Op.MC2" & RIPPER OWENS solo cd-love his voice but these were both letdowns.

In 07'- looking forward to new SILENT FORCE, METALIUM, TAD MOROSE, VISION DIVINE etc...w/ most anticipation for a new cd & live dvd from PYRAMAZE of course.

My top albums of last year would probably be:

1. Pyramaze - Legend of the Bone Carver. Simply amazing record with only great songs. Great production and sound as well. Keep up the good work:)
2. Enter the hunt - For life- 'Til Death. To Hell. With Love. There first album. It has that little something that just makes you want to listen to it again and again. Highly recomended.
3. Soulrelic - Love Is A Lie We Both Believed. Gothic metal from Finland at it's best. The highligt of the record "Still Breathing" is simply mind-blowing. Wonderful stuff
4. Firewind - Allegiance. Great singing and great instrumentals. Realy powerfull album.

I have a 5-way tie for album of the year, just can't decide between these...of them, Bloodbound and Dark Empire will be releasing new albums in 2007. The rest of the albums are in no particular order...what a good year for metal it was \m/

1) Firewind - Allegiance
1) Dionysus - Fairytales And Reality
1) Heavenly - Virus
1) Bloodbound - Nosferatu
1) Dark Empire - Distant Tides

Angra - Aurora Consurgens
Dragonland - Astronomy
Pyramaze - Legend Of The Bone Carver
Mystic Prophecy - Savage Souls
Anthropia - The Ereyn Chronicles Pt. I
Elvenking - The Winter Wake
Hubi Meisel - Kailash
Rage - Speak Of The Dead
Ensiferum - Dragonheads EP
Vanden Plas - Christ.0
Angtoria - God Has A Plan For Us All
Kiuas - Reformation
Persuader - When Eden Burns
Silent Voices - Building Up The Apathy
Iron Maiden - A Matter Of Life And Death
Jorn - The Duke
Wuthering Heights - The Shadow Cabinet
Triosphere - Onwards
Tears Of Anger - In The Shadows
Luca Turilli - The Infinite Wonders Of Creation
Viron - NWOGHM

As for most anticipated albums for 2007...

Iced Earth
Symphony X
Nightwish
Bloodbound
Dark Empire
Avantasia
Kamelot
Adagio
Epica
Masterplan
Mystic Prophecy
Elvenking
Ensiferum
Wintersun
Primal Fear
Orphaned Land (hopefully)

No HIBRIA on your list? Thier debut is flat out killer from beg. to end! I gave "Bone Carver" the edge only because i prefer thier epic/power style.HIBRIA is more classic style metal-( kinda sounds like Maidens S.I.T.) yet it has a new inspired metal sound to it.

Sorry, but I think that the Hibria album came out on 2004 (or early 2005? not on 2006 of course).

I said either new releases or any cd.s that you purchased in 06' damn it!! Stop nit-picking & give your list? Just kidding.

OK, if so:

Antiquus - Ramayana/Eleutheria
Katagory V - The Rising Anger/Present Day
Crescent Shield - The Last of My Kind
Pyramaze - Legend of the Bone Carver
Riot - Army of One
Amorphis - Eclipse
Metal Church - A Light In the Dark
Iron Maiden - A Matter of Light And Death
Distorted - Memorial
Vanden Plas - Christ-0

Pyramaze: Legend of the Bone Carver
Beautiful Sin: The Unexpected
Stream of Passion: Embrace the Storm
Beyond Fear: Beyond Fear
Beseech: Drama & Souls Highway

Yeah that Hibria was an '05 release. Definitely my favourite power metal album that year.

My top albums for 2006:
01 Anonymus - Chapter Chaos Begins
02 Korpiklaani - Tales Along This Road
03 Slayer - Christ Illusion
04 Kalmah - The Black Waltz
05 Into Eternity - The Scattering Of Ashes
06 DragonForce - Inhuman Rampage
07 Green Carnation - The Acoustic Verses
08 Wuthering Heights - The Shadow Cabinet
09 Arsis - United In Regret
10 Iron Maiden - A Matter Of Life And Death
11 Insomnium - Above The Weeping World
12 Hammers Of Misfortune - The Locust Years
13 Mastodon - Blood Mountain

I have yet to check out Pyramaze; I only heard about them because of the Matt Barlow rumour!

Yeah,purchased Hibria in 06' so...i'd say one of the best releases in the last few years! Recently found;COMMUNIC "Waves Of Visual Decay"...is really great!

PYRAMAZE is simply the best prog. power/metal band there is!!Must check 'em out.Cheers!

It can only be Pyramaze and just Pyramaze!!!
The are the greatest, no question about that.... !!!