FAVORITE ALBUMS OF THE DECADE SO FAR

yoyo ken & alina :wave:

There IS good shit coming out nowadays but you have to tear through a bigger pile of shit nowadays to actually get to the stuff worth listening to due to Erik's first point.
Generally agree with this-which kinda makes the good stuff that much more satisfying. While most of erik's points still stand, except # 5, the differences between integrating other genres and 'furthering metal' is kinda tricky to quantify--coincidentally a lot of the 'no scenes' idea is one of the reasons there is so much good usbm right now (that has plenty of character and personality)-i should make a thread about this topic-and finally put an end to that hipster usbm thread-which is really overlooking a lot of the good shit that is coming out

(btw maaäet is 2006-and you should check out saivo)-

I feel like some excellent music has come out the past 5-7 years that is very creatively sincere and highly engaging. There are no scenes, but this has also shattered many walls and it I like the blending of genres and influences.

Only two that stand out to me.

Solstafir - Svartir Sandar
SubRosa No Help for the Mighty Ones

This decade fucking sucks. There were other solid releases which I thought came out this decade, but they were released in '08/'09. Bleh

Ares Kingdom - Incendiary (Death/thrash) kill live
Deathspell Omega - Paracletus (black metal)
Inquisition - Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm (black metal) kill live
StarGazer - A Great Work of Ages / A Work of Great Ages (death metal)

Aosoth - III (Black metal) kill live
Cruciamentum - Engulfed in Desolation (death metal ep) kill live
Mitochondrion - Parasignosis (death metal) kill live
Mournful Congregation - The Book of Kings (funeral doom) this is seriously one of the best funeral doom albums, they're great live and this album is on par with Monad

Agalloch - Faustian Echoes (this is their best release since the mantle imo) i saw them play this live and it was fucking awesome :kickass:
Anhedonist - Netherwards (death/doom) done tastefully. they killed mdf that year
Antediluvian - λόγος (if you worship Incantation's Mortal Throne of Nazarene album you must listen to this)
Dead Can Dance - Anastasis (this album is just as good as their 80s material. they played the whole fucking album when i saw them)
Ignivomous - Contragenesis (proper Incantation worship. excellent production and heavy riffs)
Mgła - With Hearts Toward None (i felt this was their strongest release and the songs sounded good live at mdf)
Vemod - Venter på stormene (black metal)

Bölzer - Aura (one of the best bands of mdf 2014. i skipped dark angel to watch their set a second time)
Cultes des Ghoules - Henbane (all of them witches metal)
Grave Miasma - Odori Sepulcrorum (killer death metal with the old school atmosphere. they were great at martyrdoom)
Sacriphyx - The Western Front (death metal with hints of hellenic black metal melodies)
Summoning - Old Mornings Dawn (imo their best since Dol Guldur)

Blood Farmers - Headless Eyes (this album is just as good as their first album which is quite an accomplishment since they're released almost 20 years apart)
Dead Congregation - Promulgation of the Fall (not as good as their debut but awesome death metal)
Emptiness - Nothing but the Whole (i've never heard of this band before but this album is excellent death/doom with psychedelic elements)
Innsmouth - Consumed by Elder Sign (mid-paced death metal with some Hellenic black metal influences)
Teitanblood - Death (no wimps. this album is fucking phenomenal and in my eyes a modern classic. only death is real)

Deathspell Omega - Paracletus (black metal)
Forgot about this one, fantastic fuckin' album. Drought might be even better, those were both from this decade.
Agalloch - Faustian Echoes (this is their best release since the mantle imo) i saw them play this live and it was fucking awesome :kickass:
Yes and yes. One of my highlights of metal was experiencing Faustian Echoes live. And not just because I got to spill many beers with Mike and Jerry. :lol:

Forgot about this one, fantastic fuckin' album. Drought might be even better, those were both from this decade.
Yes and yes. One of my highlights of metal was experiencing Faustian Echoes live. And not just because I got to spill many beers with Mike and Jerry. :lol:

was pretty bummed out when they didn't play it live in NYC (June this year). mostly songs from the new album, but some highlights:

The Melancholy Spirit
...and the Great Cold Death of the Earth

also, NAD. i saw QOTSA in July, and it totally blew my fucking mind. best show i've ever seen (didn't mind the 6th row seats, either). this experience totally flipped my opinion of the new album. i would overall rate it 8/10 and i highly recommend that you revisit this one and perhaps also Era Vulgeris.

listen to "misfit love"

Keep of Kalessin: Reptillian
Triptykon: Eparistera Daimones
Dark Fortress: Ylem
Enslaved: Axioma Ethica Odini
Ihsahn: After

2011:
Altar of Plagues: Mammal
Infestus: ExIst
Absu: Abzu
Arch/Matheos: Sympathetic Resonance
Wolves in the Throne Room: Celesital Lineage

Khonsu: Anomalia
Secrets of the Moon: Seven Bells
Borknagar: Urd
Enslaved: RITTIR
Gojira: L'enfant Sauvage

Code: Augur Nox
Summoning: Old Mornings Dawn
Fyrnask: Eldir Nott
Wormlust: The Feral Wisdom
Witherscape: The Inheritance

Schammasch: Contradiction
Triptykon: Melana Chasmata
Noneuclid: Metatheosis
Behemoth: The Satanist
Infestus: The Reflecting Void

also, NAD. i saw QOTSA in July, and it totally blew my fucking mind. best show i've ever seen (didn't mind the 6th row seats, either). this experience totally flipped my opinion of the new album. i would overall rate it 8/10 and i highly recommend that you revisit this one and perhaps also Era Vulgeris.

listen to "misfit love"
I'll probably revisit it eventually. It might take some years, especially since I didn't actually buy a copy. Always heard nothing but amazing things about them live, but the one time I saw them they were pretty ehh really, and that was back when I was a fanboy. Someone did tell me that was an off night per their usual performance, for whatever that is worth. Oh yeah, and I eventually appreciated Era Vulgaris in a specific sort of way, but still don't think it is that great of an album.

Portal of I and that one Vemod album are both very good, add those to my list as well. I need to spend more time with both though, I recognize them as quality stuff, but don't have any particular attachment to them (yet).

"After having turned our attention on different things during the first half of this year, we are back to concentrate on summoning again. There are already some new riff composed and rearrangements have been done of songs from the O.M.D session. Protector also started to recreate our homepage, with a total new design and updated content.

So the hammers are pounding loudly again in carven deep and far on the horizons the first ray of light are bearing witness of the return of the old ways "

:kickass:

I'm honestly quite terrible at music nowadays, so my input will be incredibly short, and most probably ignored by all of you.

Gareth Liddiard - Strange Tourist
The Drones - I See Seaweed
Sólstafir - Svartir Sandar
Sólstafir - Ótta
Sun Kil Moon - Admiral Fell Promises

..and I'd have to think really hard to come up with any more albums from this period that I actually OWN, let alone think worthy to be on such a list.

Reactions: Krilons Resa
Edited my initial list to include 2014.

I'm glad I still keep up with music. The past five years have been tits!

i need to listen to this one again. oath bound had little staying power other than 2-3 tracks. the caladan brood cd, on the other hand, has only gotten better

The flying fuck ye on breh? Cacadan Brood cant hold a candle to the weakest song on OMD. Flammifer rips my rib cage into two.

Summoning still poops on Summoning clones so hard. You would think they'd be toppled by one or two contenders by now but no, not even close.
Only enjoyable copycat is Kinstrife & Blood from Australia I reckon.

i mean summoning is like burzum or bathory or anything else that sounds deceptively simple but cannot be copied

so you listen and you go hahaha ive got a general midi soundset, a big reverb and some distorted guitar arpeggios, i can totally do summoning

but you can not

because they have Magic and you do not and thats just the way the world works