Favorite Compressors

Joshnano

Jul 29, 2010
What's some of your guys favorite compressors to use? I'm talking general as any compressor, whether it be a simple DAW vst plugin or a 1176.
Give a brief explanation on why you use it and what do you use it with.
I'll go first:

-My favorite compressor is the API 2500.

-Beautiful rich and warm compression. I love how smooth it sounds. Awesome Compressor

-I use it in most of my mixes and when it comes time to mix drums, percussion, and bass. Also works great on vocals which I've tried quite a bit.

Let's hear some of your guys! :D

The 2500 is a great compressor. I hate all the plug-in versions though - never found any of them to match up to the real deal.

I use a lot of different compressors for different colors, so this is a really hard question. If I had to pick a single one, it would have to be a workhorse compressor, something like the SSL channel strip compressors, or the Distressor. It'd be either one of those two. You could probably do a whole record just using them.

Its name doesn't pop up a lot around the internet, but I have been trying to get a bad sound out of the Daking FET III compressor, and have failed miserably. The damn thing just sounds great.

Well, I am planning to buy a mixbuss comp, any opinions too?
Is it worth to buy a GSSL clone as I have an UAD SSL COMP? (Makes huge difference?)
Or should I go for API 2500?
Any other?

What's some of your guys favorite compressors to use? I'm talking general as any compressor, whether it be a simple DAW vst plugin or a 1176.
Give a brief explanation on why you use it and what do you use it with.
I'll go first:

-My favorite compressor is the API 2500.

-Beautiful rich and warm compression. I love how smooth it sounds. Awesome Compressor

-I use it in most of my mixes and when it comes time to mix drums, percussion, and bass. Also works great on vocals which I've tried quite a bit.

Let's hear some of your guys! :D

tough call to pick an absolute favourite, i`ll have to pick 3:
SSL duende native channelstrip comp (LOVE it on snares!) and bus comp get used the most.
for mastering tho Magix am-munition.

The 2500 is a great compressor. I hate all the plug-in versions though - never found any of them to match up to the real deal.

I use a lot of different compressors for different colors, so this is a really hard question. If I had to pick a single one, it would have to be a workhorse compressor, something like the SSL channel strip compressors, or the Distressor. It'd be either one of those two. You could probably do a whole record just using them.

+1 on the Distressor. If you could only have one that would be the one to get. It's like the swiss army knife of compressors. The thing just rocks on everything.

Unfortunately i don't own one yet but it's definitely up there at the top of my list of stuff to get. If i had to chose one from the ones i own i would probably go with my JDK R22. I've been using it on almost everything lately and the ability to use it on either stereo sources or multiple mono's makes it the most versatile tool in i have in my arsenal. It can't pump hard like a 1176 but it's clean, easy to dial in and works great on pretty much anything.

I've tried the Waves API 2500 plugin, and their version ain't bad at all imo. Nothing beats the real thing, though. :)

I love the Distressor and the DBX-160 a huggy-buggy bunch now. I also love putting the LA-2A on a drum group, it makes the snare pop like a motherfucker.