Favorite Concept Albums?

All King Diamond concepts, Iced Earth's Night of the Stormrider, Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle-Earth, Rush's 2112, among others.

blackwater1 said:
definitely tool - laterlus
i don't have to add anything else

They don't have an album called Laterlus, and I didn't know Lateralus was a concept album at all... ? Even if it was, I don't think the music is good enough. :/ I like it, yeah, but not that much.

Are Queensyrche good? What style are they? What do they sound like? I've never heard them before.

SculptedCold said:
They don't have an album called Laterlus, and I didn't know Lateralus was a concept album at all... ? Even if it was, I don't think the music is good enough. :/ I like it, yeah, but not that much.

Are Queensyrche good? What style are they? What do they sound like? I've never heard them before.

first thing:thank you for the surprising hint at the mistake
second thing: laterAlus is definitely a concept album, you just have to see it!

I'm not going to cover any new ground here, everything I can think has already been said. But...

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime
(Like most people say, it really is the best. One of very few albums I can recite every lyric to)
Edge of Sanity - Crimson
(A masterpiece)
Sabbat - Dreamweaver
(Someone doubted this album? It's easily one of the greatest albums of all time, forget about concept albums)
King Diamond - The Eye
(I could put several KD albums up, but I'll just pick one, my favorite)
Blind Guardian - Nightfall on Middle Earth
(Brilliant album, based on brilliant book, what more could you want?)
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
(I would have never thought of this unless for others posting it. I guess I never thought of it that way, but it is)

to me :
QUEENSRYCHE-OPERATION MINDCRIME (they're working on a new studio album I can't wait)
AYERON-INTO THE ELECTRIC CASTLE (just love the stuff from Lucassen)

bloodfiredeath said:
Sabbat - Dreamweaver
(Someone doubted this album? It's easily one of the greatest albums of all time, forget about concept albums)

I never doubted it, but I definitely don't think it's THE greatest concept album ever. I like History of a Time to Come better, and I like first Skyclad album, Wayward Sons, better as well. Hard for me to place Dreamweaver as the ultimate best album of all time when there's 2 other Walkyier CDs I think are better.

But I never doubted it--it's a *great* album. Great. It would make my top 10 concept albums, but not my top 3.

--S

SculptedCold said:

Queensryche are one of my favorite bands of all time. They're progressive metal with a a strong Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Pink Floyd and Rush influence. If you like any of those bands or bands like Fates Warning, Savatage, Dream Theater or even Nevermore, you'll like 'em. And GET OPERATION:MINDCRIME!!! BEST ALBUM EVER!!!!

I guess Parliament's "Mothership Connection" is a concept album and that's my favorite album of all time!! I don't really know if those P-Funk records are really concept albums, as the lyrics are often "We are funky. Funk is cool" and so on (pretty hollow and lame). I think their "Motor-booty affair" is a concept album and that's a great record! One of the best P-Funk records IMO! I also think Marvin Gaye's "What's going on" is a concept album and that's a superb record IMO!
I don't know if there's more - I don't really pay attention to lyrics at all.

Queensryche: Operation Mindcrime (Tops my list, too) :) :headbang:

My other favorites include (in no special order)

Pink Floyd: The Wall
Genesis: The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Dream Theater: Metropolis pt. 2...
The Who: Quadrophenia
The Who: Tommy
Savatage: Streets
Jethro Tull: Thick as a Brick
Symphony X: V
Yes: Tales From Topographic Oceans
The Alan Parsons Project: I Robot

sh0kr0k said:
and, if you can count it as a concept album:
Iced Earth - "Horror Show"

~Sh0k~

I would say this would fall under the catagory of "Themed" album.
all the songs are about the same type of subject matter but don't
really tell a story. Other examples would include 'Pink Floyd: Animals'
and 'The Alan Parsons Project: The Turn of a Friendly Card.'

Steve Harris has said for years that Seventh Son wasnt intended as a concept album,even though close analyzation will show that there is a concept behind the songs.Its up to debate I guess.

However,Rush's 2112 cant be considered a concept album since only the title track relates to the 2112 story.

Operation: Mindcrime gets my vote.