Favorite Live Bands Of 2010

1. Blind Guardian (My first time...wow. Just wow. Not just the best show I saw all year, but one of the best I've ever seen)
2. Primal Fear
3. Devin Townsend Project
4. Cynic
5. Apocalyptica
6. Orphaned Land
7. Scorpions
8. Ozzy
9. Moonsorrow
10. Destroyer 666

Oh man, when I saw Bobby walk on stage in person, I actually felt some fear. He looked like he could actually disintegrate at the slightest turbulence. He also sort of looked like he didn't really know where he was. Once the set was kicking though, he was totally on.

Raven has a show listed here in February 2011. I presume it's going to be a full tour although I only know of that one date. I plan to check it out. There's a cool Boston-area band called Steel Assassin on the show.

Clutch / Firebird in Gothenburg was my top gig this year.

Also saw Children of Bodom for the first time ever and that was a pleasant surprise.

Jethro Tull was magic.

Cage for the fourth time. Awesome as always.

Nachtmystium - Incredible...

I've seen a ton of bands and artists this year, but the following are the cream of my crop:

Accept--I figured that I would enjoy these guys at the ProgPower Showcase, but I didn't think I would be more impressed with them than with the majority of the bands I was looking forward to seeing on the main festival bill. This band is moving forward with a completely renewed spirit.

Rob Balducci--Anyone who missed his tour with Dave Weiner seriously missed out on some incredible instrumental guitar music. This guy plays so effortlessly, it's sick.

Circle II Circle--Despite their terrible tour booking practice, Zak and the boys know how to tear it up on stage. Andy Lee is one of the most underrated guitarists on the planet.

DGM--This band was worth the price of a Saturday ProgPower ticket just on their own. That hour went by way too quickly.

Dream Theater--This comes as no surprise from me. They had half the time to rock that Maiden had, and they totally destroyed!

Foreigner--The current lineup really give the classic tunes the kick in the ass that they needed (from a live standpoint), and their new tunes work really well on stage. Kelly Hansen is an awesome frontman.

Nelson--Believe it or not, these pretty boys rock live. Their vocal harmonies are amazing, and the fact that they had Neil Zaza on lead guitar made this one of the most memorable shows I've seen in the past five years.

Pandorum--This is a jazz fusion trio from the Chicago area featuring 20(?)-year-old drummer Hannah Ford and a student of Jordan Rudess, Frank Lucas. The talent in this band is insane.

Powerglove--I know I'll get flack for this one, but I don't give two shits. This band is a nerd's dream. Their arrangements of 8-bit music are brilliant, and they're full of energy on stage.

Transatlantic--This band damn near played their entire discography in one show! How can you beat that?

Mind you, I still have two shows left for the year: Halford tomorrow night and
Zappa Plays Zappa on Saturday. Based on my past experiences with Dweezil's band, I think it's safe to say that they'll make this list as well.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

In no particular order:
Seventh Wonder (One of the best progressive shows I've ever seen. They made Dream Theater look like bitches, imo)
Soilwork
Megadeth
Delain
Oceans of Sadness
Kamelot

Most of the bands I went to PP for this year were good, as per my list there. Illusion Suite was rough, but still enjoyable. Going to see Scar Symmetry and Epica tomorrow, hoping that will qualify.

This year was not very concert filled for me, but the shows that I did attend and very much enjoy were:

1. Epica and Blackguard (twice). The first time the middle band was Threat Signal, and the second time Scar Symmetry - I was not fond of either. I do really like Blackguard, though.

2. Sonata Arctica and Powerglove with some other openers. At that show I also discovered a really awesome local band called Glass Midnight.

3. Korpiklaani, Tyr, White Wizzard, and Swashbuckle. Korpiklaani and Tyr were new to me at the time and I was blown away. The other two bands didn't do much for me.

4. Blind Guardian, Holy Grail, and Seven Kingdoms. My fourth time seeing the Guardians, and they were awesome. Holy Grail wasn't really my cup of tea. Seven Kingdoms were amazing and I can't wait to see them again next week.

I only got to a few concerts this year. Luckily one of them was Fri Sat at PP. With that said, my favorite performance of the year was Seventh Wonder. Amazing. More emotion in that set than I can remember from a band.

My 2010 isn't over yet though. I have one more concert before the end of the year, and it's a biggie.

1. Alcest
2. Kaki King
3. Korpiklaani
4. Converge
5. Salome
6. Cynic
7. Boris/Silverstein
8. Band of Horses
9. YOB
10. Phobia/Wormrot

Fun wise:

1. Municipal Waste

Been to 14 gigs this year. My best gig in terms of expectation was Sabaton with Alestorm but the best band I saw this year was Overkill. They nearly brought the house down when I saw them earlier on this year. It helped that the support bands that night were cool too but Overkill was just insane!

Fates Warning(Parellels Lineup!!!!)
Transatlantic(3 1/2 hours of prog! hard to beat that)
Accept(Just an awesome show, Mark made people forget about UDO)
Spocks Beard(Was great to finally see them..cant wait for the DVD)
Hammerfall(hadnt seen them in years...was great to finally see them headline)

I sooo wanted to go to the Blind Guardian show in LA :( But couldnt make it happen.

I Probably have been to more concerts this year than I have in recent memory. I'll give my top 10 though.

1. Roger Waters - The Wall Live at the United Center (If you saw my post on the other thread, you know The Wall is my favorite album, and this was one of the best concert experiences I've ever had. Between the flawless performance, the awesome stage show, etc. it will be one show I will never forget.)

2. Halford at the House of Blues (Yes, I am biased here, but honestly this was probably the most FUN I've had at a show this year. It also helps that I was up front and center. Anyways, I saw his solo band at Ozzfest and while I enjoyed the performance, they seemed rather static on stage. This performance, however, the band was really energetic and moving all around. Even Halford, while he wasn't running like the others, was moving around the stage and not just stationed with his eyes on the monitor. In fact, I would say of the times I've seen him either with this band or with Priest, I would say he looked at the monitor the least Thursday night.)

3. Accept in St. Charles - This was absolutely the strangest venue of the year, but goddamn I was so glad to see this show after not being able to make it to Atlanta this year. These guys embarrass most bands that are half their age in terms of energy.

4. Scorpions at the Rosemont Theater - I found this to be a very odd venue for them as the show itself seemed like it was arena, even though it wasn't. One of the best hard rock acts I've seen live and considering how old these guys are, that's saying something. Plus, you add Michael Schenker playing with them on a song and you can't beat that.

5. Transatlantic at Park West - Pretty much what Met-Al said. When you play almost your entire discography and play it perfectly, you can't beat that. As far as musicianship, this was the most well-played show of the year.

6. Devin Townsend at Lincoln Hall - While Halford was the most FUN I've had at a show, this was the most entertaining. Not only is Devin solid live, but his antics are worth the price of admission alone. So good to see him do a headline slot. I honestly never thought I'd see that to be perfectly honest.

7. Iron Maiden at Midwest Bank Ampitheater - Maiden never disappoints live and even with a lot of material that isn't necessarily my favorite of theirs, they were in top notch form.

8. Blind Guardian at the Bottom Lounge - One of the best power metal performances I've seen. Also, their setlist was pretty much flawless.

9. Nevermore at Reggies - I always wanted to see this band live. I must admit I was hesitant considering some of the shows where people said Warrel was off. Thankfully, he was in excellent form here and Loomis is absolutely killer live.

10. Sonata Arctica at the House of Blues - I know most complain about their repeated setlist, but I was really impressed with their performance. Plus, I never had seen them before.

My favorite live band has got to be Blackguard, simply because of the epic thread their live performance caused.

Now, my actual favorite live band of the year... I'm between Orphaned Land live (not the Katatonia tour) or Blind Guardian perhaps.

The Opeth anniversary show was also epic.