Favorite Live Bands Of 2010

In no particular order:

Leprous: Jesus Christ, this was amazing. If they toured in the States I'd see them again in a heartbeat. Absolutely crazy shit. Thank you so much to Shane & co. for bringing them over!

Avantasia: In Stockholm. Tobias Sammet, Amanda Somerville, Jorn Lande, Michael Kiske, Kai Hansen, Oliver Hartmann, & more all sharing the same stage? I'll probably never see that again, ever. Near-flawless setlist, hitting most of their epic songs, including the Scarecrow's title track, The Wicked Symphony's title track, Stargazers, Seven Angels, etc etc etc. The girlie shirt I got is way too large for me... but it's SOMETHING to take home to prove that I WAS THERRRE.

Seventh Wonder: Both at ProgPower and the Great Escape release party. Very different environments, but both very cool. I still have no clue how Tommy Karevik is human.

Epica: Their January show. Partly for the sentimental value, partly for the awesome setlist (DYU title track >>> Kingdom of Heaven). They were, with Kamelot, my first metal show, and it felt really cool to go from seeing them support Kamelot in front of 200 or so people to filling up and selling out venues on their own. :D

Moonsorrow: Loved them at Paganfest despite not knowing any of their material, so I had to catch them again. One of the most insane crowds I've ever been in.

Swallow the Sun: It's a shame that they apparently weren't as good on the Orphaned Land tour, because they absolutely converted me during the Finnish Metal tour. Really nice guys, too!

Tarot: SATAN IS DEAD. 'Nuff said.

Sonata Arctica: WORLD PREMIERE OF DEATHAURA? OH YES, THAT MADE ME HAPPY. I loved it enough that I actually managed to stammer "THANK YOU FOR PLAYING DEATHAURA <3" to Tony after the show without being too ridiculously shy! :D

HammerFall: I went into their set at ProgPower thinking that I'd leave after two songs. I wound up liking them to the point where I now own a best-of and a DVD. Well done.

HONORABLE MENTIONS: Oceans of Sadness (YEAHH), Fates Warning (Parallels lineup! LEGENDARY PROG! however, 120+ degree venue = noooooo), Týr (wish I caught more of their set!), Blackguard (wore my ProgPower shirt to their show with Epica on the 20th and Paul gave me a fist-bump from the front row), Leaves' Eyes (zomg, first guitar pick!!1!).

I'm adding Scar Symmetry to my list. I basically drove about 1000 miles this weekend to see their 30 minute set, and it was worth it.

In no order:

Y&T
Uriah Heep
Scorpions
Nelson
Doro
Accept
Leprous
Blackguard (yeah, I'll admit it)
Kamelot (Roy or not, their PPUSA performance was amazing)
Green Day
Rush

I have high hopes for next week's Blind Guardian show at Jaxx as well.

Good to see the Tyr and Orphaned Land comments. For me, Tyr at PP was this year's Sabaton: didn't know them before, but holy cow they demolished the place. My 7 year old son is trying to learn Faroese now.

Orphaned Land I saw in a shitty venue, they didn't have enough time, but they rocked it as though they were playing a stadium. Those guys are the right mix of professional/exuberant. Now, if only we could get them over here with Ms. Levi, and it'd be a PARTY!

1. Blind Guardian (My first time...wow. Just wow. Not just the best show I saw all year, but one of the best I've ever seen)
2. Primal Fear
3. Devin Townsend Project
4. Cynic
5. Apocalyptica
6. Orphaned Land
7. Scorpions
8. Ozzy
9. Moonsorrow
10. Destroyer 666

Yeah, I'm making an addition to my list and bumping everyone down 1 spot.

I just got back from seeing Jodi Benson sing with the New Bedford Symphony Orchestra. Jodi was the voice of Ariel in The Little Mermaid, and she still sounds just like she did in 1989. I've been a huge Disney fan my entire life, and hearing/seeing Ariel sing not only Part of Your World but a bunch of Christmas tunes from the front row was one of the best moments of my entire life.

Just saw Agalloch last night in SF. They were awesome! It was my first time seeing them live. Their sound quality was really good, considering how most bands sound at small venues. With Agalloch you kinda need the best of sound quality to really appreciate the music, so that worked out well. They also played my favorite song, "In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion", which is always a way to make the show memorable.

Down to the wire, but Avantasia was f**king amazing. Hands down the best show I've seen for a long time. Everyone was great, awsome mix of songs, really excellent show. I only wish I could have seen it a couple of times. Get the DVD when it comes out.