favorite snare sample(s)?

schust

Oct 24, 2007
soundcloud.com
given how important the snare is in a mix, i've been on a crusade for the past 6-8 months trying to find the "perfect" snare for the current project i'm working on. most, if not all, i've tried have come from the generous contributions of members here.

just wondering what everyone else turns to consistently for that "perfect" sound. what's your "go to" snare sample these days?

here are a few of my favorites, in order (so far). (i should probably point out my perfect sound is a tight snap with great presence and a little meat to fill it out)

mapex black panther (samples 6-10)
vinnie paul
pipelineaudio's aes_24_96 samples

I've been liking the results I get from mr. Sneap's snare sample posted here somewhere + a really klangy sample that I think originates from the Alesis SR-16... (listen to almost any mix from Mikko Karmila and you can hear it)

Vespiz,
Where did you get that HR16 sample from?

I emailed Mikko years ago and he told me which samples he used to make his snare sound, its like a combination of 5 samples from the HR16 module.

PD: Did you mix Masterstroke?

Can't recall where I got the sample from, sorry. Might have been one of my classmates in school?

I mixed our first album "Apocalypse" but decided to let a pro mix our latest album "Sleep" :D Well, mostly because my PC lacked enough kick. :erk:
I did record them, tho'. (Except the drums on Sleep...)

Sounds good, Has its karmila vibe on it . ;)

About the topic, my fav snares are from Slate, they just fit right in the mix and sound very natural. I have been struggling for years making my own samples but they just cant compete with slates