Favorite Tom mics other then 421's - Discuss

guitarguru777

Nov 13, 2003
Las Vegas
www.jasonconstantine.com
I am seriously loving the Senn 604s right now. Something about them for me just makes everything right, and they save a ton of room of the kit ....LOL I been a 421 guy for a long time, but recently used these just to try and and I am really digging how much the toms sing in the upper mids with them.....

Opinions?

604s are sweet to be fair. I've been really pleased with SM57s on racks with Heil PR30 or D112 on floor(s). I'm also into the Audio Technica ATM23s on racks and ATM25s on floors. Condensers can be cool too - Shure KSM32s, CAD M179s, or best of all U87s if I've got them spare.

Oh man, I´ve thought about this a lot this week, I´m sampling drums everymonth, using 421, 57´s, ATM450, and for me, one of the best mics I´ve used on snare and toms is Audio Technica ATM450, man is small and easy to place and sounds big with lots of punch!

What I've used and liked:

Rack - 57, D2, PR31, D6, E22s
Floor - RE20, D6, PR31, ATM25, E22s

The tuning, player, and drum itself are more important than the mic but it's hard to go wrong with any of those.

I think the thing with 421s is that while there are mics that *might* be better on a tom here or there, but there's almost never a case where a 421 sounds bad or even 'okay' on a drum. AKA I've never heard a 421 track (provided the tuning + player was up to par) that didn't sound good.

I came back to 57s again. Usually d112 on floor, but I actually like 57 on floor as well. I play with the distance and placement/proximity effect until I like the low end, Most likely I just know the sound so I prefer it.

604 or 57 on high toms and re20 on the floor are definitely great alternatives. The e22s is great on every piece but the kick drum. I agree with Jeff though that the 421 is always really good if placement isn't too problematic.

man...i have tried them all.......really...all

and not that 421's win, but they are just right. any time...for anything.

414's, 57's, NT1's...they are all great.

feeling fancy?...u67's, KM84's, U87's

wanna know a secret???...Studio Projects B1's on racks, B3 on floor....you jaw will drop guaranteed.

ATM25's. Every once in a while I'll try a 57 or 414. (other than 421's of course. I still use them half the time if not more.)

I haven't gotten the balls yet to put our u67's on a tom. Probable never will. I bet they'd sound amazing though.

I will simply repeat what everyone's saying here: sm57's on rack toms do sound great. And D2-D4-(or D2-D6 which I prefer) is my favorite combination. Getting tired of it though.
I fell in love with sm57's on toms when I was recording a gig we played at, and they used sm57's on all toms. Was a bit concerned but actually loved mixing it! Since then I put them on toms once in a while.
With 421's, I was never really a huge fan of them. It's very personal, but I just preferred Audix D-series and sold my 421's.

D2/D4 never let me down. Easy to place, great rejection, great sound out of the box.

Really sweet toms! Those are condensers, do they bleed much? I bet you can't always afford such a luxury with dense kits.

Yeah they are but they are very small and easy to aim:http://www.thomann.de/se/audio_technica_atm_450.htm

So the bleed isn't that much. They sound awesome on snare too but picks up the HH a bit to much sadly, or you get that 10khz + sizzle which cuts through the mix like a bitch.

Yeah they are but they are very small and easy to aim:http://www.thomann.de/se/audio_technica_atm_450.htm

So the bleed isn't that much. They sound awesome on snare too but picks up the HH a bit to much sadly, or you get that 10khz + sizzle which cuts through the mix like a bitch.

Cool, thanks mate! I'll keep an eye on these. Sorry for the offtopic, but have you tried them as spot mics on cymbals?