Tom mics?

schust

Oct 24, 2007
soundcloud.com
i have to track some drums next week and need to pick up some decent TOM mics that won't break the bank. i want to get the kind that just clip on the tom so i don't have to hassle with mic stands. very small room.

in the past i've used some cheap pintech triggers on the toms, but headache doesn't begin to describe the hassle that's been.

i'll most likely trigger the toms once i get them in my DAW so amazing quality isn't one my 'top-10' requirements. dependability is.

any recommendations on some cheap, but dependable, tom mics?

thanks in advance.
mark

thanks..

just checked those out over on guitar(off)center. they look nice, but unfortunately - i'm still hoping for something slightly less. i realize it'll probably be crap... but as along as it prints a good, strong signal - that's all i care about for the trigger.

i probably end up trying a few of those CADs. i'd be interested in hearing if anybody's had a good (or horrible) experience with these.. looks like the whole 7 piece drum pack is only $249.

i'm with LSD...the clip-ons suck. when the toms get hit, they move, and the mics move with, and you end up with shitty transients and funny resonant shit going on...of course it might not matter if you're just going to replace them with samples

personally, i'm stuck with using the clips until i can get a bigger room :mad:

hmm, good to know. thanks for that info. i do tend to slam them babies pretty hard, which was more than half the battle with the triggers and their pussy-ass adhesive they use. i know dd-drums and a few others, i believe, have other means of 'attaching' the trigger to the tom - but a mic just sounds like an all around better route. i'm tired of messing with my Alesis DM5 anyway. I usually end up replacing them with Andy's toms - or somebody else that knows what the hell they're doing... lol.. oh - and of course the whole issue of having them tuned correctly! i've got a tuner and still can't get them right! lol.. duh. :loco:

the d-drum triggers actually attach themselves to the shell with the lug on the side of the drum...i guess it's nice because they aren't going to go anywhere, but you also have to re-tune the drum after attaching them

coincidentally, i have a set of the cheap red shot ones that someone gave me and i've never even used...mostly because i've heard that they do a lot of double triggering and all kinds of other shit that the more expensive ones supposedly don't

I don't find the clips that bad, although I just did a session with all stands and that did seem to be better for only the reason of the mics not falling down.

Tom swaying isn't as big of an issue if your using a raxx setup and your tom clips are tight. Not a fan of the tube clamps (pearl). I like the hex clamps, they seem to keep the toms from swinging through the air as much.

i probably end up trying a few of those CADs. i'd be interested in hearing if anybody's had a good (or horrible) experience with these.. looks like the whole 7 piece drum pack is only $249.

I've got the PRO-7 kit, but while it may be useable, I wouldn't recommend buying it unless you really had to. I got it in trade for tracking some band.
224228.jpg