Favorite Tom mics other then 421's - Discuss

Cool, thanks mate! I'll keep an eye on these. Sorry for the offtopic, but have you tried them as spot mics on cymbals?

Yeah, sounds good. Its a good sounding mic haha. Would probably do for guitarcabs too. As i said i feel that it captures the source very well, like i perceive it in the room :) I have 4 of them :D Cheaper then the old 421 too!

I have yet to use them but on gearslutz the CAD M179 get's recommendations quite regularly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfjl-FYaqrc

This is not the first time I have heard this recommendation. Actually there is a local guy who likes them more than the 421 and was showing me a shoot out. I don't know if I personally liked them more, but they captured the toms really well.

I like condensers on toms a lot, and I like micing the bottom heads too if at all possible.

Actually don't find the 421's that special. They're good, but I find they lack character, which I'm always looking for when recording something. If there's nothing with "good" character though, I'll just go with the 421's to be sure.

What I've dug:
Rack: ATM-450, 58 w/o grille (or 57), 414's
Floor: 414's, SM7b, RE20, d112

Also, live I really like the D2's and D4's. Fast and easy to place, and they sound great with very little tweaking. I need to try 451's and my MK-012's on toms at some point too.

I've honestly never been a huge fan of 421s. I owned 3 a few years ago and sold them cause, while they did sound good, they didn't sound more than 3 times better than an SM57.

Another sleeper mic - the CAD TSM411. That's been my favorite tom mic as of late, and 3 of them cost me $50 on eBay :p

ATM450's on toms huh?
they've been my primary drum overheads for the past two years but I've never thought about putting them on toms. too bad I only have a pair.

I'm actually in the market for new tom mics...
The "problem" is that I have 2 421 and 2 d2 atm...
So just buying 2 more d2 would be the most sensible solution I guess (instead of buying 2 421, which are 3 times as expensive, or even go the route of buying 4 new tom mics .)
I'm in deep deep love with the pr30 on floor toms atm, so I'd actually love to try the pr28 on rack toms.
They're not that much more expensive than the d2, but I'd have to buy 4 mics then instead of 2....bummer.
So yeah, I guess I don't really have an option....

Then again, 90% of the time I'm just recording kits with 3 toms, so getting two pr28 for the rack toms would be enough...but what if the pr28 don't sound as good as the d2???? Aaargh
Can someone chime in please and tell me that the pr28 are not awesome?

Can you not get them home, try them out and if they suck, swap them for the D2/4's that you require?

57 on racks. IMO 421 aren't *that* much better on rack toms, but if I've got the space and possibility I'll use the 421s...especially if the toms are already pretty splatty and bright sounding by themselfes, 421 doesnt hype it as much as a 57.

421 on floor tom tho...yummie yummie. that splat!

apart from that, yeah D2 rocks too.

oh yeah, had to use an sm7 on a floor tom once cause the other mic was broken...didn't work too bad too iirc!

Decided I'm just getting one more d2 and a second pr30.
I'll just use pr30 on the two floor toms then (in case of a 5 tom kit) and the 3 d2 on the rack toms.
I'd love to try the pr28, but I really like the d2 a lot and I already have two of them, so just getting a third one and an additional pr30 for the second biggest tom seemed like the most reasonable thing to do.
75 for a clip??? Fuxk that!
About the

I sometimes use the Beta 98 when I want a clicky tom sound with a very defined and bright high end. Not so beautiful sounding but can be of some use for fast stuff. I managed to get a Panter-ish tom sound quite easily with those.

The atm450 seems quite interesting for a more rockish vibe. Thanx Crillerman for the video, sounds great.

57's are always good, not sure why. Maybe because we often use them on the snare so they seem to "gel" with using them on the toms as well.

I also have been really surprised with the CAD M179 on toms - a fuller body to the toms. More air than the 57's, or 602's.

And, I know 602's can be good - they just really seem dependent on the tuning/type of tom sound you're looking for. Sometimes I love them, sometimes they don't work for me.

d2/d4 over here... like others said they just sound right without too much effort. properly tuned (and struck) toms just explode out of them.