Favourite album productions?

lanky noob

Jan 13, 2012
The shire, UK
Well, basically what it says on the tin :p

a few of mine would have to be:
Dream theater: Black clouds and silver linings
Red seas fire: Red seas fire
Machine head: every single album except unto the locust... (the guitars don't quite do it for me and Robb's vocals sound weird, but still a better job than i could ever do ;) )
Pantera: again, every album except reinventing the steel, especially the drums on far beyond driven and the guitars on vulgar display of power/the great southern trendkill, though i can understand why people would hate the mix on TGST
And obviously the black album, that production is incredible beyond words. How Bob Rock went from making that drum sound, to the drum sound on St anger is possibly the biggest mindfuck of all time

All of this is my personal opinion of course! :)

Thats easy to answer......Randy Staub.

You guys NEVER UNDERSTOOD HIS TECHNIC:

ink_can.png

New concept on DIY snare.

Hmm.
Underoath - Lost in the Sound of Separation
Underoath - Disambiguation
Oceano - Depths
Betraying the Martyrs - Breathe in Life
And Hell Followed With - Proprioception
Born of Osiris - The Discovery

These all have fucking awesome sound. And half of them were done by members of this forum. Heh

Underoath - Disambiguation
Betraying the Martyrs - Breathe in Life are sick indeed.
In Flames - Clayman
Soilwork - Stabbing the Drama
Gojira - The Way of All Flesh
The Acacia Strain - Wormwood
Despised Icon - Day of Mourning
Opeth - Watershed

As far as metal goes, those ones are great references IMO.

Nickelback-Darkhorse
Killswitch Engage-Alive Or Just Breathing/The End Of Heartache
Arch Enemy-Anthems Of Rebellion
Nevermore-This Godless Endeavor
Three Days Grace-Life Starts Now
Adam Lambert-For Your Entertainment
Gojira-The Way Of All Flesh

Devin Townsend - Ghost (because I'm a hippie)
Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance

I'm always partially to raw, unedited qualities of female singer/songwriters too, like St. Vincent (RatsLiveOnNoEvilStar)
Two songs I'm incredibly partial to are classmates from my undergrad, L.E. Rubin's "Surrounded" and Mal Blum's "Baltimore."

Hate on me if you want for my hispter-isms, but I feel like this is pretty clean cut for all it's indieness! :lol:

...and Skrillex and Deadmau5 just tend to have pretty awesome production on the majority of their works

Last edited by a moderator:
i'd consider tool - lateralus to be the most cleanly produced/mixed album i've ever heard. i still prefer aenima musically, but sonically, lateralus just can't be fucked with.