Your Top Worst Album Productions

WHAAAAAT, De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas sounds incredible!

Bethlehem sounded pretty decent, much better than a lot of their peers.

I love the fjordic BM, but it does not sound incredible. Mayhem live is great, their albums always sound like they put the mic in another room, inside a trashcan for reverb. I know that's the sound. But it had so much potential if they'd had decent production.

that structures mastering is amazingly bad .... destroyed the album for me
but I realy like the music so this is as bad as it can get.

Want to listen to it but have to stop after 10mins maximum

I sort of like it, it brings something to the album, this album is fucked up anyway, astral eyes and shit. It reminds me of Voivoid Killing Technology's sounds.

EDIT: About Pestilence's Album (Spheres)

Me too. I guess I can't imagine it sounding any other way.
If Focus is like wandering in bright [i know, i know], open space, Spheres is like being sucked into a black hole.

Bloodbath RTC & Immolation FFG sound great imo. Not the production of the year but the sound fits and serves perfectly the music. I like the guitars in particular on RTC... so identifiable!

I wouldn't really call Dissection a black metal band though....
I love DMDS because it sounds like the band recorded it in a big fuck off gale.
You can still hear what's being played throughout the record, you can hear the bass and you can understand the vocals.
Personally, I don't find it fatiguing at all, I think it would do if it was done by someone like Swanö, because it's got pretty long sections of BM/blast beats, the drums (all the instruments really) need to be reigned back a lot to stop it from becoming grating imo.

Rough and unpolished doesn't mean bad production!

Unfortunately (for us?), 95% of the time, this gets mixed up and we get results such as so much of those black metal clips we can hear in this thread. Some great music has been ruined with bad productions in this particular musical subgenre because of their so-called "unpolished sound".

This is pretty much everything I had to say on the "artistic choice" made by some black metal bands, just as an excuse to record their album with a metalzone, 100% gain with 0-bass 0-mid 10-high, direct into mic input of their PC's embedded sound card, with an sm57 into XLR to jack + jack to 1/8 adaptors for the drums.

They do that because it's completely nihilistic on every level, just like how they want their music to be. You have to acquire taste for such sound if you want to get into more obscure black metal... it's how it's meant to be, dude. Imagine early Darkthrone with modern production...

To be perfectly honest people that bitch about black metal production really need to grow a pair, it's actually pretty rare for good music to be recorded as badly as that ulver record...
Most black metal that is worth listening to is recorded to perfectly acceptable standards.

Let's face it, Black Metal is supposed to sound raw, abysmal, grating, aggressive, hostile, negative. The music itself, in comparison to death metal, is both rhytmically and melodically way more impoverished. Those who bitch about how it would be better if it was recorded like mainstream metal these days don't get it. It would be the most boring, tame thing in the world. Nearly all of it's impact would be lost, it would be "easy listening" for most Metalheads, and that would go against the point completely.

Dissection sounded like any old Gothenburg melodeath production wise. DMDS sounds like a recording from the netherworld. Both work but for me there is no comparison. One's an alright Metal production, the other is the essence of hell itself. A fucking classic.

On topic: I second Immortal's "Blizzard Beasts", in my opinion this is the gold standard fail production. A band that sounded awesome raw goes out of it's way to adopt modern production. And fails miserably. The album just sounds cheap, like today's "my first mbox" demos on myspace. Or worse.