Your Top Worst Album Productions

Old-school DM's where it's at... both music and terrible production-wise. Such a shame, especially for Sadist - that album is unreal.

Holy shit at that Ulver cd though.. I thought my right speaker crapped out. Is the hi-hat the progenitor of the piercing shroud of sonic obliteration in the right channel?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's actually somewhat artistic, and drums and bass guitar (Jeroen \m/) sound decent, but that hollow, cloudy guitar sound is so, so wrong.

Well, don't wanna start to argue here, but I think Hammerheart and Blood on Ice have the best atmosphere because of the dirty sound.
I'm glad you like this band though. One of my favs

Don't get me wrong, I'm a lifelong Bathory fan ;)

I absolutely love Hammerheart, just always bothered me that it sounds like it was mixed with everything spiked and clipping

But completely agree on its atmospheric aesthetics though IMO nothing he did could top the feel in the 1st two tracks on BFD

lol I used to play in Aghora. I never liked that guitar sound either. I dunno why Santi is so into the Madison's I think they sound like shit especially when palm muting.

Ah that's awesome. I used to have the album you played on lol. That one was way better than the one I mentioned. And you got to play with Reinert which would be a miracle for me haha.

I had a feeling a lot of black metal records would make it into the thread.:D

It's actually somewhat artistic, and drums and bass guitar (Jeroen m/) sound decent, but that hollow, cloudy guitar sound is so, so wrong.

From what I can remember of those days and reading interviews, they used Zoom pedals straight into the board or something.

Ah that's awesome. I used to have the album you played on lol. That one was way better than the one I mentioned. And you got to play with Reinert which would be a miracle for me haha.

I had a feeling a lot of black metal records would make it into the thread.:D

yea Reinert is just an amazing talent. He went to UM with me for a semester as well. Was funny riding the campus bus with him and seeing him in the practice rooms. It felt so wrong for noone to care or know who he was. I felt like kneeling before him everytime I saw him.

And yea using old black metal albums is no fun. They were supposed to sound like shit!

^ hail Reinert.

Loch Vostok's second cd - the drums sound borderline midi :D Their new album is absolutely terrific though.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ it's raw and gritty as fuck, perfect old school death metal sound. Represents the band and the genre exactly as they are, and modern bands should take notice how tight this band plays on the record with no edits and triggers at all. It doesn't take away from the power of the music (like Electrocution's thin, weak-ass drum and guitar tones), nor it is broken and unlistenable like that Ulver cd. Rough and unpolished doesn't mean bad production!