Your Top Worst Album Productions

And, as always, black metal fans come up and try to defend all those 95% I was talking about instead of just accepting the fact that most of those "bad-productions" were just an excuse to record for cheap. Most people would have been executed around here for some of the recording practices behind some of those recordings, but because this is the "nihilistic approach", everyone else needs to "grow a pair" and learn to like it.

What the fuck... I get it, some great music is behind some of the most unlistenable recordings. But sorry, I don't get and will never get why this approach is praised by so much people when in ANY other musical style, this is called "sounding bad" and "learn to record/mix". There is a way to sound good AND raw. Face it people...

Name a bm record other than the ones mentioned in this thread, that has been "ruined" by it's production.

It's like non metal guys complaining about clicky kicks sounding nasty...

I said "grow a pair" because even if you don't like the style of production, in all but the most extreme cases it's perfectly listenable.

It's not only a matter of taste like you're insinuating... I'm just saying that you can make some raw recordings without sounding cheap-ass. I love most well written black metal... when I can hear at least a little of what's being played. I would have had a great example of this if only I could remember the name of the album... Some well known black metal band though... Damn, I had to be really concentrated to hear anything other than a high-end screech.

I know personally some good musicians and composers who put out fucking disgusting recordings, and the only excuse they gave me was "hey it's raw and agressive"... Shut up a metalzone through your PC soundcard ISN'T raw, it's shit.

I totally understand what you're saying, I just think that in reality there really isn't that much music being recorded that way.

I always like Old Mans Child's Pagan Prosperity album and though it was a well recorded black metal album from the era when it was still somewhat fresh. Still one of my favorite BM records. The first Borknagar album was kind of raw but still easier on the ears than Nattens. There's just so much 6kh in Nattens, it's really hard to maintain listening to it, even though I own it. And I know they meant to do that, they were probably naked out in the woods on coke and a cassette 4 track or some shit.:lol:

ahahahahah THAT KICK!! lol this guy was EQing it like "yea that sounds fuckin great"

ahahahahah THAT KICK!! lol this guy was EQing it like "yea that sounds fuckin great"

It has to be THE worst kick sound ever, I would shit a brick if anyone can find one worse.

Also I was listening to Nattens Madrigal the other day, and it's actually quite listenable, I can think of several more "hi-fi" recordings that are more difficult/uncomfortable listens.

Worst Kick sound ever, the story behind this is easy, Triggers were starting to get into a lot of American Death in 1997, the tech simply tried to get this trigger sound by thinking, oh well +24db on 7khz.

THAT snare!!!

EDIT: Wait for the blast beat please @1min55

Last edited by a moderator: