Votes: 11 5.8%
  • With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • Terminal Spirit Disease

Votes: 31 16.4%
  • Slaughter Of The Soul

Votes: 127 67.2%

• Total voters
The Red in the Sky is Ours, obviously. At the Gates DIED when Alf left the band. The Bjorlers should have changed the name of the band before they disgraced it with that verse-chorus-verse pop-metal tripe.

By the way, Through Gardens of Grief, Within, Primal Breath, Kingdom Gone, All Life Ends, City of Screaming Statues, At The Gates, etc, etc, etc, ALL murder any track on Slaughter of the Soul... no competition at ALL.

SunlapseVertigo said:
is song structure what you base your opinion on what good music is? thats fucking stupid.
Structure is one of the primary element's I judge music by. It is nearly as important as the ideas (or in the case of Slaughter, the LACK of ideas). I'd still speak negatively of a band if they had good structures, but shitty ideas (see Burzum's s/t album).

SOTS is the best because they got rid of all the filler, and made their most aggressive album. pop-metal? that terms almost as useless and meaningless as the nu-metal term nowadays.
Pop metal meaning VERY derived from pop rock. If you stripped the mechanical-as-fuck production down and looked at the music for what it is, you'll see a whole fuckload of similarities to the likes of Bon Jovi, Nickelback, and other worthless pop bands. Verse-chorus-verse-solo-chorus-chorus-etc. BORING AS FUCK. I don't listen to metal for fucking disney singalong songs, I want fucking MUSIC. Not 4 riffs, a chorus, and a not-so-great solo. They got rid of all the elements that made them good in the first place (numerous riffs per song? guitars playing different complimentary parts simultaneously rather than the conformist parallel lines? the violin? the odd time? the overall technicality and progressiveness?), opting to be an accessible band rather than a valid band. Alf left because he felt the group was obviously selling out. And their most aggressive recording was the Gardens of Grief EP by FAR, not Slaughter of the Suck.

hey, why don't you call Emperor pop (heh someone already has) or why don't you just throw it to any band you don't like.

people like you piss me off.
I wouldn't call Emperor pop. I actually enjoy a few albums of theirs (Nightside, Anthems, and Prometheus). I think they take a lot of unjustifiable criticism due to their straying from black metal, but they still made valid music (though IX fucking sucked). Pop metal, as I said, implies that the band plays metal to the standard structure of AOR pop rock songs. Verse Chorus Verse (I thought death metal was supposed to be CHAOTIC, not predictable?). I admit, I'm a bit hard on At the Gates, but that's only because I feel they were one of the best metal bands to exist, and they felt the need to ruin their legacy with their last two ventures into mediocrity.

The Red in the Sky is Ours = EXCELLENT
Slaughter of the Soul = feces

Deal with it.

I DID state my problems with the music. I said that they took the non-parallel riffs out, the odd time, the technicality, the weird-as-fuck harmonies, and the crazy chaotic progressions. Instead of writing majestic pieces like Kingdom Gone and Within, they just wrote an album full of shallow tunes. I agree that there ARE a few good riffs on SotS, such as the intro riffs to the title track and Suicide Nation, but the rest are just monotonous string-skipping riffs that pivot off the root notes in simple chord progressions. I can NOT listen to more than three songs on that album without wanting to listen to something a bit more memorable (like the first two albums).

As for just liking the "least accessible" music around, that's not true either. I like Emperor's most recent output, for example, I prefer Reign in Blood to Hell Awaits, I prefer Absu's Tara to anything else they've recorded, I listen to Vader's Litany and Revelations more than The Ultimate Incantation and De Profundis, etc. I listen to what *I* consider to be good, not internet elitists. I formed my OWN opinion of At the Gates. I bought Slaughter of the Soul a few years ago, traded it within a month, later bought their earlier albums and was totally HOOKED. I downloaded Slaughter again and I still thought it sucked, but I hated it even MORE when I heard what the band was doing prior to that album.

The Red in the Sky is Ours > All other AtG records. It's one of the best records ever, period.

However, i'm partial to Slaughter of the Soul and With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness

I should really have voted for The Red in the Sky... although I feel that they peaked on With Fear..., before it declines into shit on the second half.

The Red in the Sky Is Ours and Slaughter of the Soul are my favorites. The former is more adventurous and the latter has better production, a different feel, and is more melodic yet is still creative, unique, and (I know this word has been used to death, but) brutal. Slaughter of the Soul is definitely still metal, though. It just might not be your bag. But I hope one would be able to enjoy both flavours of At the Gates' music.

Terminal is really good, but it's hard to judge since it only has 6 tracks, while Slaughter has much more, therefore it's easier to judge. I will have to go with Slaughter, best melodic death metal album in history - not joking.