Favourite Authors

sweet! Another Ligotti fan (I think that makes for a total of 3 than I know of on UM)

I recently picked up the graphic novel adaptation of The Nightmare Factory...it's...mediocre. The artistry for The Last Feast of Harlequin and Teatro Grottesco are pretty decent, but so much is cut out from the stories that they really lose their feeling. oh well. something to tide me over until The Conspiracy Against the Human Race is unleashed.

Ayn Rand fills me with overwhelming rage.

Ayn Rand is one of those authors that you either love or hate. I never finished reading the Fountain Head... I put it down after other books called out to me, particularly one about Horatio Nelson, a true romantic military hero.

My favourite author is, and has always been, Franz Kafka. The way he captures emotion is amazing. I have a really neat book of his short stories and prose, and I read through it over and over, picking up a different thing each time from the text. Definitely my favourite book on hand.

I also really love Tolstoy. Anna Karenina is pure genius. That book is brilliant, and it's such a great read. I love that book.

Dostoevsky is brilliant as well. Crime and Punishment is amazing... that book is a page turner and it really delves into humanity and morality. Love it!

Delany. I will honestly say that I googled that, but maybe you wanted to know? Bleh.

I also forgot to mention my boy, James Joyce. The Dead by choice brings tears to my eyes. He has such a way with words... he's amazing. He captures Irish and modern life, and the world that is changing around him, all the while showing how his life changes along with everything. He's a genius.

Ayn Rand is one of those authors that you either love or hate. I never finished reading the Fountain Head... I put it down after other books called out to me, particularly one about Horatio Nelson, a true romantic military hero.

My favourite author is, and has always been, Franz Kafka. The way he captures emotion is amazing. I have a really neat book of his short stories and prose, and I read through it over and over, picking up a different thing each time from the text. Definitely my favourite book on hand.

I also really love Tolstoy. Anna Karenina is pure genius. That book is brilliant, and it's such a great read. I love that book.

Dostoevsky is brilliant as well. Crime and Punishment is amazing... that book is a page turner and it really delves into humanity and morality. Love it!

Win.

sweet! Another Ligotti fan (I think that makes for a total of 3 than I know of on UM)

I bought a book of his short stories but since then haven't been able to get a hold of any of his other stuff. A feeling of hopelessness permeates a lot of his stories which is just brilliant. I also like his stories about dreams, he really takes over where Lovecraft left off.

Neal Stephenson
Joseph Heller
Charles Bukowski
D.B.C. Pierre
China Miéville
Clive Barker
Stephen King

I forgot John Kennedy Toole. He only wrote one book (A Confederacy of Dunces) before killing himself, but it was a corker. I also forgot Hunter S. Thompson.

Authors I've been meaning to check out but haven't yet because I'm too busy prattling on on internet forums:

Ian M. Banks
Phillip K. Dick
William Gibson
Kurt Vonnegut
William S. Burrows

I bought a book of his short stories but since then haven't been able to get a hold of any of his other stuff. A feeling of hopelessness permeates a lot of his stories which is just brilliant. I also like his stories about dreams, he really takes over where Lovecraft left off.

yeah definitely. This new essay thing he's working on, The Conspiracy Against the Human Race, is poised to be his most nihilistic work. You probably picked up the collection The Shadow at the Bottom of the World since it's sort of widely available. Try and get yourself The Nightmare Factory or Teatro Grottesco...loads of good stuff

one im loving at the moment is E.L. Doctorow
I've read and you should try:
The March
World's Fair

i'm also about to start reading
Who Count As Persons?: Human Identity and the Ethics of Killing by John F. Kavanaugh