Favourite Band

If you think metal sucks why are you posting on the ultimate METAL forum? I think any music with actual meaning is good regardless if I like the sound. 90% of pop/rap have completely ridiculous lyrics and no actual talented musicians involved.

Really though I just hate any stereotypes in metal, like in school if I was wearing say a suffocation shirt id have 5-10 people a day ask me if I was emo (usually every single one of them listens to pop/rap) I mean seriously because of the MUSIC I like you think I cut myself? I never have an older person who listens to classic rock call me emo, hell most guys don't even know what it means because they don't have to judge people about EVERYTHING. Like seriously if you hate metal just DON'T LISTEN TO IT. I guess the new generation is just full of fake idiotic people, but sometimes I wonder how I even got into metal when I don't know a single person who listens to anything but pop/rap/country/screamo etc.

Sorry for stupid longish post but please don't say metal SUCKS.

If you think metal sucks why are you posting on the ultimate METAL forum?

cause 1) i'm super cool, 2) i'm a badass motherfucker who does what he wants, yeh yeh, and 3) i live a sad, lonely life

but sometimes I wonder how I even got into metal when I don't know a single person who listens to anything but pop/rap/country/screamo etc.

Sorry for stupid longish post but please don't say metal SUCKS.

thats rough man, if you and me went to school together we'd have been bros

just look for a kill 'em all or rust in peace shirt, you get them once in a while on campuses

cause 1) i'm super cool, 2) i'm a badass motherfucker who does what he wants, yeh yeh, and 3) i live a sad, lonely life

thats rough man, if you and me went to school together we'd have been bros

just look for a kill 'em all or rust in peace shirt, you get them once in a while on campuses
Not around here. I mean yea there the core fags wearing make up and shit but they make me want to puke. I only know a few people who will ever listen to metal and one of them is my best friend who has listened to metal ever since I got him hooked to megadeth and iron maiden :) He hasn't really got into death metal or any heavier shit though but he will.

haha Postulate is merely joking. In this forum we are all already brothers of Metal. We are fighting with power and steel, fighting for Metal, Metal that's real. Brothers of Metal will always be there, standing together with hands in the air.

Seriously though, there's nothing wrong with that. Most of the snobs here have had a 'true metal only' phase themselves at some point, mine was pretty much all of my teenage years. Fucking enjoy it, but keep an open mind. You seem to have a good taste as indicated by your choice of favorite band so you may start finding epic shit in other styles someday anyway.

Oh and metal is one of the best musical genres (despite the amount of crap), that's why I'm in this forum. I'm just saying that good music is ultimately style-independent, a realization i find comes with maturity (at least for me).

I've never had trouble finding metal fans in Finland.

I'm just saying that good music is ultimately style-independent, a realization i find comes with maturity (at least for me).

This is a more accurate representation of what I was trying to say. I don't mean that I enjoy all genres equally, but that the qualities I enjoy in music can be found in many completely different styles.

This is a more accurate representation of what I was trying to say. I don't mean that I enjoy all genres equally, but that the qualities I enjoy in music can be found in many completely different styles.
Truth.

It's preposterous to say that a genre is better than another empirically as "better" is an opinion. But objectively, it can't be argued with that there are shining examples of memorable music in all genres. Stepping out from under a narrow umbrella to accept that is a mark of mental maturity.

Hmmm...

1) In general, metal sucks. Some is good, but not very much.

I strongly disagree with you. Some time ago, you yourself posted a song by Astral Doors. Bloke, Astral Doors epitomise the term metal, and what they do is not “original” and I can’t see why they would be good in your opinion while other bands would suck.
To be honest, I like some of their stuff.

2) I don't see what all this talk about each genre being as good as any other or having just as much shit as any other, or being just as diverse as each other is about. Why wouldn't some genres be better and more diverse? Don't you think it would be an astronomical coincidence if they all happened to have the same quality and diversity? What a weird belief.

Agreed.

3) I don't think there is some good in every genre. Some are just plain bad.

Agreed.

4) I don't see the problem with having narrow, specific tastes in music and not listening to anything outside of a specific genre.

Well, I like metal as much as I like pizza, but I don’t think I would like to eat just pizza for the rest of my life. :)

It's preposterous to say that a genre is better than another empirically as "better" is an opinion.

So? You can have a wrong opinion. Happens all the time

But objectively, it can't be argued with that there are shining examples of memorable music in all genres.

Horrocore, nu metal, crunkcore...the response above was that they're sub-genres but eh let's not hair-split?

I strongly disagree with you. Some time ago, you yourself posted a song by Astral Doors. Bloke, Astral Doors epitomise the term metal, and what they do is not “original” and I can’t see why they would be good in your opinion while other bands would suck.

maybe Astral Doors just have the formula down perfectly. the vocalist is practically a better Dio than Dio was:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfu0w3L9wKc&feature=mr_meh&list=PL2D0B1D903D313C49&playnext=0[/ame]

but I dunno, most metal is just "meh"

Horrocore, nu metal, crunkcore...the response above was that they're sub-genres but eh let's not hair-split?

I don't think it's splitting hairs at all. Proper genres and subgenres are so different in volume that in a discussion like this it makes all the difference which one were talking about. I could conjure up some horrible sub-sub-subgenre that would only encompass one song that sucks, but that wouldn't prove that entire genres can suck and it certainly wouldn't add anything to a discussion of genre diversity and "quality".

the vocalist is practically a better Dio than Dio was

Your opinions are dead to me. It is a good song though.

I'm just saying that good music is ultimately style-independent, a realization i find comes with maturity (at least for me).

I endorse this as well. We all probably have one or two styles of music that have, for some reason, become dearest to us personally, but I definitely agree with this sentiment.

I don't think it's splitting hairs at all. Proper genres and subgenres are so different in volume that in a discussion like this it makes all the difference which one were talking about. I could conjure up some horrible sub-sub-subgenre that would only encompass one song that sucks, but that wouldn't prove that entire genres can suck and it certainly wouldn't add anything to a discussion of genre diversity and "quality".

So how big is a genre, then? Are they going to be things like hip-hop, jazz, and metal? Those are so vague that of course something is going to be good in each of them. That's just more proof of the law of large numbers than anything.

I tend to think of genres as things that spring up around specific ideas and groups of musicians - they're like "movements" more than meaningless overarching labels. In this sense, European power metal (which sucks) is currently completely divorced from, say, Kayo Dot and Solefald. They just have no connection anymore, other than distant ties to Black Sabbath.

There are also other genres that don't contain much shit at all - neo-prog is an example of this, where I think even the middling bands tend to be pretty damn good. Some is bad, sure, but the average is way above the average of most genres. Why? I don't know - right place, right time, the sound just happened to hit a bunch of good elements and it happened not to attract many poor musicians. So it goes.

Your opinions are dead to me. It is a good song though.

*shrug* He has the same chops and is a better melodist.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV2o93tCcME&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzDYWjC_Ny8&feature=related[/ame]

Are these both in the same genre?

Not around here. I mean yea there the core fags wearing make up and shit but they make me want to puke.

Let me get this straight:

You are upset that people prejudge you, and that generally, you aren't immediately accepted or understood.

Please tell me you see a problem with the piece I just quoted, Effigy.

I appreciate the heavy side of music, but only when the music is actually good. I don't care if something is metal or not; I just care that it is good.

Most "metal" sucks, and it is the worst sounding live music there is.

I find a lot of neo-prog unlistenably boring. Oh wait, that's why earlier I said that this is all subjective and therefore it is asinine to suggest that a genre is empirically better.

I find a lot of neo-prog unlistenably boring. Oh wait, that's why earlier I said that this is all subjective and therefore it is asinine to suggest that a genre is empirically better.

The word "subjective" doesn't really mean anything, so far as I can tell. Does it mean that aesthetics require an appreciative subject? But then the appreciation of the subject could still be discussed non-arbitrarily.

Does "subjective" mean that there is no right or wrong answer, or that the question cannot be discussed intelligibly, or that facts cannot be brought to bear on it. But this is controverted by the facts - people do coherently talk about aesthetics, and can make arguments based on the facts of the case.

So, if you want to make a case, make it, but don't blame me if I'm not moved by this "it's all subjective" hand-waving.

You've just made my case bro.

In the odd possibility that you'd like to pursue this course, why not cite a few of the criteria for the empirical evaluation of genre?

It's not so hard - genres have empirical properties you can talk about. Metal tends to have a lot of guitar harmonies, power chords, and double bass drumming. Is that not a fact?

haha Postulate is merely joking. In this forum we are all already brothers of Metal. We are fighting with power and steel, fighting for Metal, Metal that's real. Brothers of Metal will always be there, standing together with hands in the air.

Seriously though, there's nothing wrong with that. Most of the snobs here have had a 'true metal only' phase themselves at some point, mine was pretty much all of my teenage years. Fucking enjoy it, but keep an open mind. You seem to have a good taste as indicated by your choice of favorite band so you may start finding epic shit in other styles someday anyway.

Oh and metal is one of the best musical genres (despite the amount of crap), that's why I'm in this forum. I'm just saying that good music is ultimately style-independent, a realization i find comes with maturity (at least for me).
I'm not really a "true metal only guy" I just hate the guys who call me emo for no apparent reason, I do hate screamo though but screamo really has nothing to do with metal at all, to me 99% of it just sounds like pop with the occasional awful screams, plus about everyone who listens to other styles of music think that all metal is just screamo and think the death metal I listen to is the same thing and the vocalists are just screaming when that really isn't the case. I definitely did go through the true metal phase but now I just listen to what I want and tell anyone else to go fuck themselves if they have a problem with it.

Everyone has their opinions so its really pointless to argue about this.

I like heavy music because its just what I like and I don't listen to pop, rap, techno or any other genres that are extremely popular right now. To me mainstream music will always be bad whatever it is mainly because I just hate the fact that most people will just listen to whatever is "catchy" and as I guitar player I enjoy things that are technical and interesting not just catchy.

Last edited by a moderator: