Favourite Band

metalxmetalx

May 6, 2011
I'm curious to know: what is the favourite band of you guys? Well, mine has changed over time. When I first started listening to rock/metal back in 1984 Scorpions occupied that place ( I still have the Lps Fly to the Rainbow, In Trance, Taken by Force, Tokyo Tapes, Lovedrive, Animal Magnetism, Blackout, and Love at First Sting). Some years later I came across Rainbow, and I couldn't believe how good the songs Stargazer, Light in the Black and The Gates of Babylon were. It was one of those magic moments that occur once in a while. What a melodic, powerful band, and, of course, Dio's beautiful voice shines on those songs.
In 2003 I watched the song Egypt by Symphony X on the internet, but I didn't give it much attention. However, when I bought The Odyssey in 2005 everything fell into place! The same magic happened again. They have remained my favorite band since then, and now I have all their albums. :headbang:

You don't have to have a "favorite band". I like many bands/musicians in different ways, Symphony X is one of them. They used to be my "favorite band" when I was a teen though (thanks mostly to V).

My first favourite band was Queen when I was around 5. It was followed by U2, then Metallica when I started listening to metal in my teens. Ensiferum (first two albums) was probably my number one as well for a while. Then found Symphony X and it was the best thing for a couple of years. After that I went back to listening to stuff from a broader spectrum (not just metal) and have had many favourites. Been really into Devin Townsend for the last couple of years.

But that chronological list is missing a lot of bands/artists that have been very important to me. Porcupine Tree, Mostly Autumn, Opeth, Wintersun, Camel, Scott Walker, Tori Amos to name a few.

My favourite 'band' by far is Devin Townsend, minus Strapping Young Lad.

In second place are Alestorm, Ayreon, Dream Theater, Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Star One and of course Symphony X.

In third place (or eight place actually) are Allen-Lande, Avantasia, Dark Moor, Iron Maiden, Muse, Rammstein, Splen, Therion and Threshold.

Quite a lot of power metal, I know. Apparently not a very popular genre on this board. :)

Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, U2, Symphony X, Queen, Coldplay (Don't laugh :p) etc.

Coldplay (Don't laugh :p) etc.

I kinda like the early albums, but later stuff is really meh. I heard their latest song (every teardrop something) on radio recently and it was simply awful. One of the worst pop songs I've heard in a while tbh.

Symphony X, with only Blind Guardian coming close really. Maybe throw Opeth, Ayreon, Devin Townsend or Turisas(who I'm loving lately) in as runner-ups

Pain of Salvation wins my award for favorite band ever. In my opinion all of there albums are masterpieces. Yes, I consider Scarsick and Road Salt to be masterpieces.

King Diamond is probably my current all time favorite, but with king being on hiatus with health issues other bands are closing in. Symphony X, and Amorphis are knocking on the door.

The band that had the biggest influence on me and was my long time favorite band was Queensryche, but with them steadily falling off with each new disc they have become a band I don't follow any longer. I have not even bothered to purchase their last three or four discs.

Britt

Blind Guardian has been my favourite band since age 13. For a while I thought that bands like Rush or SX had surpassed them, but with every new Guardian album I realize that they've been at the top of my list for a reason.