Favourite Band

^ Well I hear you. I've never really been a fan of Maiden (as in having all their albums etc.). It's just that they have some songs that I grew up listening to. Stuff like Aces High, 2 Minutes to Midnight, The Trooper, Fear of the Dark, etc. Classic stuff.

As for Pink Floyd, I never got into them.

Pink Floyd has a cool song or 3 or 5, but when people worship them like gods I am at a loss. I don't think they're that great. Especially considering that in my opinion, the majority of their best stuff was on their last record.

It's because of Gilmour's guitar playing, I think. He's not exactly my favorite player, but I appreciate the influence he had guitarists ala Steve Rothery, Nick Barrett, etc. The rest of PF's music is just bland to me.

I really dig pink floyd, I think their musical concept was very unique. Only after I saw the live at the pompeii DVD, I could express the dicotomy of liking their songs (most of them) and not listening too much compared to other bands i like less.

The transcedental aspect makes it so that, for me, PF music is the greatest "background music" on earth. I've had sex, eaten, slept, painted, wrote poems, cried, cooked, smiled, laughed, even taken a dump listening to pink floyd, and it makes these moments in life brighter. But when you have too much light, you can go "blind" and lose you're sensibilitiy.

One or two times a week I have a pink floyd moment, throw in some songs and begin making some kind of "art". So far no other band has helped me do that like PF does, specially cause I hear lots of metal...

For me, their music blends with certain moments in life in a very unique manner. That's what makes their song special

A lot of overrated bands: Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Rush, Van Halen, Metallica.... In my opinion.

I hear musical genius in Floyd. I like albums that where you only get all you can out of if you listen to all the songs consecutively, which i guess is its strength and weakness. Never gave anything past the Wall a chance. Yes' first couple albums are the epitome of Prog. 70s Rush is just cool, just plain cool, and if you disagree than you havent dined on honeydew. My favorite bands usually bounce around weekly or perhaps daily but most of the time its Iron Maiden (MY CHILDHOOD!) Megadeth, CoB, SymX, and DT.

From 15 to around 17 years old, I loooved Maiden. I had basically everything they released with Bruce, including live DVDs. My band was a Maiden rip-off band as well.
I picked up the Odyssey around 17 years old, and it became my prog concierge. I was so intrigued by what I was hearing. There were things happening that I didn't understand, and things I didn't even know to be possible in music.
I listened to it more and more, and every time I went back to Maiden, I was becoming more and more bored with them.
Fast forward 8 years: I'm still a prog fiend. I can't stand power metal, including Maiden.

Ha ha yeah, I do love the Pandora's Box that prog tends to open. Kansas' Magnum Opus, Journey from Mariabronn, etc. were among the first music that I truly loved, rather than just putting up with - I didn't think music could be so enjoyable in its own right before that.

I love prog but I don't think it's the only interesting/enjoyable music out there. I'm not into genre worship.